Peak District Routes (Training Ride)

red_eye5
red_eye5 Posts: 57
Hi,

I did Tour of the Peak's last month and am thinking of venturing back there again for a training ride coming weekend. Parts of the route we did that day were on busy roads and went through a few different towns which I 'd like to avoid.

If anyone can recommend a route around 75 miles which takes in some nice climbs (Snake Pass being one) on quiet roads i'd really appreciate it.

I could use BikeRouteToaster and do a map but feel local knowledge/past experience always more beneficial.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    The classic - Holme Moss, Glossop, Snake Pass, Strines, back to Holmfirth. Aim to hit the Snake early on to avoid traffic and most of the rest is relatively low traffic. The Strines - Holmfirth stretch has a busy section which can be avoided by heading towards Penistone and then switching North again past the windmills (but probably not really worth the bother).

Be warned - there is a lot of climbing.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    There are so many great routes in the Peaks that avoid main roads almost completely. I was actually signed up to the Tour of the Peak District, but decided not to do it once I realised how crap the route was (compared to how good it could easily have been). I'm not afraid of cycling on main roads by any means, but when I plan routes in the Peaks I know there's almost no need to use them unless you specifically want to do a climb like Snake Pass.

You have so many options. I always start from Sheffield, but if you're driving to the Peaks you may as well start away from the city. I quickly plotted this 123km route in bikely starting from Hathersage. I haven't done this exact route, but I've used all the roads at some point. Its hilly, very scenic and in all but a few sections you'll not be bothered by traffic at all. IMO this is what cycling in the Peaks should be like, not main road bashing like the Tour of the Peak District did. Up Edale valley (from Hope) and over Mam Tor is one of my favourite bits in the Peaks.
    More problems but still living....
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I always like climbing up to Mam Nick from Edale, if like is the right word. Usually very few cars, and a hard climb (hardest in Peaks IMO). Hard to get to Snake Pass without going on busy-ish roads.

Maybe stay in Hathersage, ride out to Hope - Edale - Mam Nick - Castleton, back way out of Castleton to Tideswell, then on from there. Might do a route for you on toaster when I have a mo. :)

Are you planning on staying in the area in b and b/camping?
  • sheffsimon
    amaferanga wrote:
    There are so many great routes in the Peaks that avoid main roads almost completely. I was actually signed up to the Tour of the Peak District, but decided not to do it once I realised how crap the route was (compared to how good it could easily have been). I'm not afraid of cycling on main roads by any means, but when I plan routes in the Peaks I know there's almost no need to use them unless you specifically want to do a climb like Snake Pass.

You have so many options. I always start from Sheffield, but if you're driving to the Peaks you may as well start away from the city. I quickly plotted this 123km route in bikely starting from Hathersage. I haven't done this exact route, but I've used all the roads at some point. Its hilly, very scenic and in all but a few sections you'll not be bothered by traffic at all. IMO this is what cycling in the Peaks should be like, not main road bashing like the Tour of the Peak District did. Up Edale valley (from Hope) and over Mam Tor is one of my favourite bits in the Peaks.

Great minds think alike.....
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Wow, Mossrider that takes me back. Your route is pretty much (in reverse) my favourite training ride from the 1980s. Would set out from Holmfirth, go over the Strines up the Snake (always humming the Dam Busters tune going past the reservoir), through Glossop and back over Holme Moss and then, if feelling particularly masochistic, turn back out over Greenfield and return via Marsden/Meltham.

Now I know why I am nearly 3 stone heavier than I was then.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    You can find the link to a mapped good route on my website

http://ridewithugo.xtreemhost.com/mamtor.html
    left the forum March 2023
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Is the road from Barber Booth Mam Tor or Mam Nick? I can never remember which is which.

Ugo - if we're talking about the same hill then I think its only 2km long with about 200m of climbing. You're website suggests the top is at an altitude of 517m - I see that figure on the OS map, but I'm sure that it refers to the peak Mam Tor itself and not the road - see Wiki). It's definitely not 3km long though.
    More problems but still living....
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Abney from Hathersage, Mam Nick from Edale, Strines road, Eyam to Grindleford, all the little roads North of Hathersage... so many great, quiet cycling routes...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    amaferanga wrote:
    Is the road from Barber Booth Mam Tor or Mam Nick? I can never remember which is which.

Ugo - if we're talking about the same hill then I think its only 2km long with about 200m of climbing. You're website suggests the top is at an altitude of 517m - I see that figure on the OS map, but I'm sure that it refers to the peak Mam Tor itself and not the road - see Wiki). It's definitely not 3km long though.

The first Km is a faux plain, the actual climb from Barber Booth is about 2 Km as you say (the red part) with a bit more than 200 mt of climbing, I would think. Altitude-wise I don't know, I copied and pasted the diagram from a database of climbs. I've never done it with an altimeter.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    red_eye5 wrote:
    Hi,

I did Tour of the Peak's last month and am thinking of venturing back there again for a training ride coming weekend. Parts of the route we did that day were on busy roads and went through a few different towns which I 'd like to avoid.

If anyone can recommend a route around 75 miles which takes in some nice climbs (Snake Pass being one) on quiet roads i'd really appreciate it.

I could use BikeRouteToaster and do a map but feel local knowledge/past experience always more beneficial.

Thanks in advance.
    Why not ride the Spud Riley Memorial/Polka Dot Challenge on June 6th. It no longer goes over the Snake and Winnats as the roads are so busy but now keeps mainly to the quieter picturesque roads in the Peak District. The 100 mile route is very challenging and includes many minor roads you would never know existed. The shorter route is more manageable but still very hilly. It will be well signed so no prior planning required.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    amaferanga wrote:

That's a very nice route, mate.
    I used to go to the Peaks a lot, staying around Barlow.
    But then I used to cart my MTB around, and loved Edale, Mam Tor, Caselton areas, but offroad...
    I think I'll pay another visit.
    So, if you feel your ears burning, it'll be because I'm burying myself on a tarmac climb!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • red_eye5
    red_eye5 Posts: 57
    Many Thanks for your replies.Cannot beat local area knowledge.

I'll probably make my mind up over the next few days which climbs to take in (I knew there would be plenty of choice). I'm doing this as training for the Dragon Ride next month. I need long gradual climbs which we have a lack of near where I live. My usual climbs include Bison Hill, Toms Hill etc (Chiltern Hills ) which are all short and sharp unlike Breacon Beacons that just seem to go on for ages.

Thanks Again
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I do " The Mossrider Classic" quite abit but with a slight twist. I park up in the little car park on Rail Road. Then it's Low Bradfield to High Bradfield ( about 25/30%). I then take the long drag out of Stannington towards Strines etc, Holme Moss, Glossop, Snake etc. Back to Rivelin & warm van.

It clocks in at about 60 miles but has a fair bit of climbing.

Winnats is my fave tho, as a kid I'd "award" myself the odd day of school & ride over from Doncaster to tackle it.
  • sheffsimon
    FJS wrote:
    Abney from Hathersage, Mam Nick from Edale, Strines road, Eyam to Grindleford, all the little roads North of Hathersage... so many great, quiet cycling routes...

+1000, all favourites of mine too.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    My backyard is the Peak District. Being located between and near to such large conurbations, as it is, makes it the country's busiest National Park. Unless you're out first things, this can make the main arterial routes busy with traffic, and not much fun if you like your roads quiet.

It seems the Peak District sportives have tended to follow those main roads, perhaps to appeal to cyclists outside the area who've maybe heard the names from the Tour of Britain etc, but in my view it's been to the detriment of those events, as the finest riding is to be found on the back roads.

In contrast, the Polka Dot's route looks to be a cracker; just the sort of roads I like to ride on. You could do worse than bastardise the Polka Dot route, depending on where you're starting from.

Alternatively, do as someone else suggested: start off in the Hope Valley (Edale, Hope, etc.), climb above Hathersage (cafe), then plot a loop south-east to Hartington and back, through e.g. Abney, Monsal Head, Ashford, Moneyash (cafe), Hartington (cafe), with a variation of that back again, e.g. towards Tideswell to Castleton, always choosing the quitest roads when given a choice. You'd need to plot it out on a map beforehand, but you'd be rewarded with a fine ride.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I'll be out there somwhere tomorrow morning just making it up as I go along until I realise the time and have to get back for the footy / giro / kids.

No 059 has arrived.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • sheffsimon
    rdt wrote:
    My backyard is the Peak District. Being located between and near to such large conurbations, as it is, makes it the country's busiest National Park. Unless you're out first things, this can make the main arterial routes busy with traffic, and not much fun if you like your roads quiet.

It seems the Peak District sportives have tended to follow those main roads, perhaps to appeal to cyclists outside the area who've maybe heard the names from the Tour of Britain etc, but in my view it's been to the detriment of those events, as the finest riding is to be found on the back roads.

In contrast, the Polka Dot's route looks to be a cracker; just the sort of roads I like to ride on. You could do worse than bastardise the Polka Dot route, depending on where you're starting from.

Alternatively, do as someone else suggested: start off in the Hope Valley (Edale, Hope, etc.), climb above Hathersage (cafe), then plot a loop south-east to Hartington and back, through e.g. Abney, Monsal Head, Ashford, Moneyash (cafe), Hartington (cafe), with a variation of that back again, e.g. towards Tideswell to Castleton, always choosing the quitest roads when given a choice. You'd need to plot it out on a map beforehand, but you'd be rewarded with a fine ride.

Thats 3 cafes on one ride. Greedy b*****d. :wink:
  • penski
    penski Posts: 124
    amaferanga wrote:

@amaferanga Thanks for posting this - 6 years later I have used this route (shortened it by 40KM by going from Moneyash to Bakewell on the B5055) yesterday and it was fantastic.
  • Wardster00
    Wardster00 Posts: 143
    I rode some of this route on Saturday and intended to go over the climb to Abney but it is now closed to cyclists as they are repairing the road that collapsed a couple of years ago. You used to be able to make your way through but they have now fenced off the entire road making it impassable. It is due to be like this for about 6 months. Fortunately, they have put a sign at the bottom of the road. The quote below is from another forum, giving a bit more detail.

"You may be aware that Campshill Lane which runs above Great Hucklow past the Gliding Club has been closed since the summer of 2015 due to severe carriageway subsidence.

Before the road was closed the loop from Hathersage through Abney and round to Bretton was popular due its scenic views and challenging climbs however since the closure the popularity has doubled with cyclists due to the reduction in traffic.

Derbyshire County Council is about to start the main construction phase to repair the carriageway and the road will no longer become a through route for cyclists, pedestrians and equestrians for approximately 20 weeks. The works to repair are challenging due to the constraints of the site with deep excavations required at a number of locations. There will be a large construction presence in the area and cyclists are encouraged to not take the route up from Hathersage through Abney past the gliding club.

The area will be securely fenced of and local adjoining footpaths will be closed. The surrounding land is private and not suitable as a ‘get around’ for the works. There has been a number of mineshaft collapses in recent years on the adjacent land.

I would be grateful if you could distribute this information to your club members and any interested parties. You will not be allowed through the works and you will be asked to turn back down the road you have just climbed up. Please do not plan any club rides using this route to avoid disappointment.

Project Engineer"
  • penski
    penski Posts: 124
    Wardster00 wrote:
    "You may be aware that Campshill Lane which runs above Great Hucklow past the Gliding Club has been closed since the summer of 2015 due to severe carriageway subsidence."

I came across this sign saying road closed and as I did not have a map or any knowledge of an alternative route, and the sign looked somewhat temporary, I decided to see what the closure was about.

30 mins of riding later, I came across the 20 metre closed section. It was quite late and there was nobody around.

I walked around it, offered my apologies to the Gods, and continued on. It wasn't a simple bypass, but not difficult either :\

There is also another alternative when you come across the closure - to climb down the path on the hill to a road that leads to Great Hucklow (and back on track having skipped about 500 metres of the route). It will be a muddy affair though, depending on weather.
  • I am off to the Peaks in a couple of weeks and would like to ride the climb up to Abney. I have checked the council website and it isn't showing the road as closed but I wondered if anyone local could let me know if the road was open again?

Thanks
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Wardster00 wrote:
    I am off to the Peaks in a couple of weeks and would like to ride the climb up to Abney. I have checked the council website and it isn't showing the road as closed but I wondered if anyone local could let me know if the road was open again?

Thanks

I just heard over the weekend the road is now open/passable for cyclists despite a sign saying it was closed.
    New fresh tarmac laid apparently...