C2C - Whitehaven to Newcastle (best bits?)

berrya
berrya Posts: 23
Im doing the C2C from Whitehaven to Newcastle on Friday-Saturday, has anyone done this particular ride before?

Can anyone suggest what they think the highlights are. For instance, what are the best views, best cafe stops, and best climbs on the way etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    From Whitehaven there is a cracking view as you drop down towards Lorton right down the Buttermere Valley. Half way down Whinlatter there's a layby with a really nice view over Bassenthwaite too. There's a really nice cafe on top of Hartside.... And from my side of the Pennines, those would be my personal highlights.

I would also advise that you do not let Whitehaven or Cleator detain you for long.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    The section from the outskirts of Whitehaven to the outskirts of Newcastle is fantastic :D
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • geordiefella
    geordiefella Posts: 302
    the first day is definately more picturesque. stop often. cafe in whinlatter, keswick, greystoke cycle cafe is excellent (pasta recommended).

after that you're out to north pennines and there's little really until the top of hartside, the odd nice pub after that but little on the last day really aside from it all being relatively downhill. take you're own snacks then and stop when you like for a break. little else until newcastle / tynemouth really bar the views and trails.

Dave
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • berrya
    berrya Posts: 23
    Thanks for you info chaps, off to whitehaven tomorrow (for a chilled break) for a couple of days before the ride....cant wait, and will hopefully check out greystoke cafe on the way!

Ta

Alex
  • geordiefella
    geordiefella Posts: 302
    Yep, if you're doing it in two, get a really early start friday and stop at whinlatter (1st steep hill) or keswick for brunch, greystoke for afternoon tea and after the 5 mile ascent (not too bad), you're are the hartside cafe then nenthead / rookhope (I guess you're thereabouts for an overnight.
    Last day is no stops (aside from rookhope pub / apple crumble / hot beef sandwich) and its all track and downhill. Would be nice if this had the odd cafe etc but it doesn't seem too.
    Have fun.
    Did it both ways last weekend in 20hrs (S'land - whitehaven - Sunderland). Lakes section definately the nicest and its nice to get into the North East. Gives you a lift.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave