Wheels for La Marmotte?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
I have Bora deep sections with tubs and Campag Neutrons with clinchers. Which should I use? Never ridden the Alpes before.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    If you're used to those wheels and how they handle, then use them. I think the keyis to equip something that you are comfortable with both in terms of spending 8+ hours in he saddle and in terms of how they'll handle on a 40km Descent into Bourg.

Plus, If you do equip Tubs, take a couple of cans of Pitstop or something with you.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Ironman595
    Ironman595 Posts: 93
    I rode a zipp 808 rear with a 404 front last year (both clincher) and it was fine, but I am confident downhill and had already done the marmotte a few times so knew what to expect. I can't say it would make too much difference on the descent unless it was VERY windy. The biggest thing to think about is breaking power, in all conditions.
    If I had the choice I would go for the clinchers just incase it rains, you never know!

If you want to look good for the photo then choose the boras... :wink:

What cassette are you using? I rode a 25 on the back last year and found that the lateral flex in the rear wheel when it got a little steep caused slight rubbing on the rear mech, it's probably just my tech skills and gearing needing a tweak- but worth considering. What other sportives are you doing beforehand- try both sets and see what you think..

Note: if your stuck after a blow out/punture- pitstop gets messy.. not everybody has spare tub, but everybody has a tube they can throw your way...
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I saw plenty of tub riders on carbons with blowouts when I did it last year, so I'd think twice about using tubs.

You need good braking and reliability. Then worry about weight. Aero is not relevant IMO.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • on-yer-bike
    maddog 2 wrote:
    I saw plenty of tub riders on carbons with blowouts when I did it last year, so I'd think twice about using tubs.

You need good braking and reliability. Then worry about weight. Aero is not relevant IMO.

Why do Tubs blow out ? I always carry a spare tub and Pit Stop but I dont want a blow out.

In answer to Ironman I will be using a 12-29 cassette as I am not an ironman!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    actually they could have been clinchers too, come to mention it. It just that the blokes I saw blow their tyres that day just happened to be on tubs, but there are plenty of carbon clinchers these days so I guess a better statement to make is that carbon rims are an issues on long descents, as they get very hot, which in turn increases the pressure in the tub/tube.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    With the braking I don't think tubs - esp carbo tubs - give you the best heat dissipation, brake fade performance, and assurances that your tubs will stay glued. Poor old Beloki. I know this runs contra to the principle of "ride what you know" but you 'fessed up that you don't know alpine descents so this is virgin territory.

Are you a fast descender generally? Do your ride your brakes or have you mastered the short stab before a corner to modulate speed? Are you under 75-80 kgs?

If it's your first time and it's hard to answer the above, I'd look into the garage to see what other kind of wheels you have. Back in the late 80's when i started racing on mainly flat crits, rolled tubs was not uncommon as the glue softens with the heat of braking.

The Marmotte on a 808-404 combo is sick. You must have hit some unreal speeds on the straigh bits along past Grave! Respect. What tyres did you run? Wow, I still can't get over that. How heavy are you? Part of the issue is I'm scared of deep dish handling hence the agog-ness. Deepest thing i have is a CXP 30.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Metal rims will generate more head than carbon - I expect the blow outs seen are a result of alloy rims heating up and the air expanding and blowing the tyre off the rim

Tubs are a far safer bet in the mountains, rideable when flat which can help if the situation arises.

Go or the Boras, the flat roads in both valleys will be great fun with deep rims, the deeper the better.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Metal rims will generate more head than carbon - I expect the blow outs seen are a result of alloy rims heating up and the air expanding and blowing the tyre off the rim

Tubs are a far safer bet in the mountains, rideable when flat which can help if the situation arises.

Go or the Boras, the flat roads in both valleys will be great fun with deep rims, the deeper the better.
    I do not think so, well going by my experience.
    Last year on one decent of Monte Grappa ( it is on stage 14 of giro this year) I had to stope after about 20 short steep siwtch bakcs to pour water on mr rims !! the blocks were almost gone and by the bottom I had almost nothing left so lucky it was flat to the hotel, these were brand new blocks.
    Never had issue with non carbon rims and no issue in marmotte with dura ace clinchers.
    CArbon are pretty crap in the wet also.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Just seen you've got the Neutrons too. Done 4 Marmottes myself on Campag Euros and the Pyreneenne last year over the Tourmalet and Aspin on the Neutrons (clinchers), I think they were the best wheels I've had for the job. They have ride all day comfort, they're strong, agile and handle well through corners.

By way of comparison, a couple of my mates have ridden in the first 500 (the sub 7 hour finishers) on the Marmotte too and said all the front runners were using Ksyrium/Neutron type wheels and most were on clinchers. At the Pyreneenne last year, Nicolas Jalabert was on Ksyrium tubs.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Mate of mine did it on Corima aeros, personally I wouldn't use an all carbon rim - think it depends on descending skills.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • on-yer-bike
    Thanks for info. I'll use the Neutrons. I'm also doing the Dragon which I have done before. Perhaps I'll use the Neutrons there too. or shall I risk the Boras? Life is much simpler with one set of wheels.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Metal rims will generate more head than carbon - I expect the blow outs seen are a result of alloy rims heating up and the air expanding and blowing the tyre off the rim

I do not think so, well going by my experience.
    Last year on one decent of Monte Grappa ( it is on stage 14 of giro this year) I had to stope after about 20 short steep siwtch bakcs to pour water on mr rims !! the blocks were almost gone and by the bottom I had almost nothing left so lucky it was flat to the hotel, these were brand new blocks.
    Never had issue with non carbon rims and no issue in marmotte with dura ace clinchers.
    CArbon are pretty crap in the wet also.

Did the marmotte on 808s with coolstop yellows and no problems at all and I descend very fast. Brake block choice will make a big difference, as will riding technique. Go aero where possible unless in a hill climb.