Keswick Sportive 105k 22 May - anyone going?

kiwidane
kiwidane Posts: 2
I am doing this sportive but didnt realise Virgin doesnt take bikes on trains so now cant get up there from London. Is anyone else going I can catch a ride with? Any ideas on how to get a bike on a Virgin train?

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Virgin trains do take bikes, at least every one I've been on has.

Usually there is a bike compartment with room for 2 or 3 bikes but you have to reserve a space. That is free. I had a problem once where somebody had not made a reservation and had taken my space so I stood with my bike until the owner of the offending bike got off.

There is a bike symbol on the carriage which has the compartment so watch out for it as the train comes in to the station.

Sometimes the position of the bike compartment is marked on the platform too.

If the train is crowded, go to your bike in plenty of time before you disembark or you might not be able to fight your way through hordes of standing passengers in time.

I always take a bungee cord so I can tie my bike up to stop it swinging about from the hooks provided.

Good luck!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    If you put it in a bikebag, it's not a bike as far as Virgin are concerned.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent