Cycling is an expensive hobby .. Yes or No

2»

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I think it's expensive. 6000 miles a year takes its toll in terms of wear and tear. Chains, tyres, cassettes, unexpected breakages. It costs more than any of us really acknowledges I suspect.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    You can spend virtually nothing and still enjoy cycling, many junk/charity shops are selling perfectly serviceable cycles, tyres can last many years, consumables can also last a lot longer than manufacturers recommended times.

The reason why cycling become the working class domain was because it was (and still is) so affordable.

You can spend pence or thousands, the choice is yours.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I enjoy the money I spend on cycling far more than I enjoy the money I spend on work clothes or DIY or any number of other things that empty my wallet on a monthly basis.

so no to me its not expensive because it makes me happy in a way that a tin of Dulux for the landing or spending Thursday evening in Tesco don't
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Expensive? Yes in terms of it always costs me a fair portion of my wage but then I do really enjoy cycling, road and off road so its worth it.

In terms of health, no contest! I believe I have a far greater chance of a longer and healthier life at least much longer and healthier than if my hobby was over-eating, drinking and smoking.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think the beauty of the sport is it can cost as much or as little as you have or are prepared to spend.

I spend money on bike equipment and kit when I have it. I do spend far to much time on the internet oggeling stuff I can't afford and wishing I could.

BUT, never have I ever been actualy out on my bike and suddenly thought my experince would be better if I had X, Y or Z peice of equipment.

Perhaps if I ever had to downgrade for whatever reason I'd think diffrent.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Mccaria wrote:
    I travel to work with two friends and invariably we end up discussing our hobbies. One has a helicopter, one has a boat. Cycling is cheap.

Were you getting a lift in by one of them?
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    Yep its pricey.
    To be fair all depends what hobby its compared to, but if its road riding and you want to be any good its expensive in terms of hours and hours and hours of training accompanied by loads of weight widgery titanium splined nurdle drive components that wear out overnight and cost a wee bit to replace.
    Still good fun I guess.
    Running and kayaking also fun and loads cheaper :P :P
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    To paraphrase someone else who I can't be bothered to quote.

'The cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain. the cycling is made to make mothers weep, to make children scream, to crush the souls of the weak'

Cycling is like being addicted to all-bran: It's good for you but it will ruin your life.

I cycle as my only form of transport and also cycle for fitness and fun. What with wear and tear, crashing, thefts and the insatiable human desire for something better it becomes eye wateringly expensive.

I try not to think about it, accept it and take solace in the fact my habit has not yet overtaken my income.

Coincidently I can take a free bike from work this year so they can write off some tax. Another delightful money pit to keep me subservient to the velo gods.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Most hobbies can be described as being expensive, especially to the narrow minded who cannot see the enjoyment people get out of partaking in them, i look at it this way, you have a hobby, cost is irrelevant as it will always be giving you hours of enjoyment, whereas spending all your hard earned cash down the pub every weekend, leaves only a big hole in your wallet and a blinding headache, then spending the rest of the week thinking "where did all my money go?"
    I can look at my bike and bits and bob's and see where all my money went.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Ginjafro wrote:
    In terms of health, no contest! I believe I have a far greater chance of a longer and healthier life at least much longer and healthier than if my hobby was over-eating, drinking and smoking.

Wouldnt call over-eating, drinking & smoking a hobby, but i know what you meen.
    I dont realy drink anymore, which has improved my fitness grately. I used to drink loads and go out on weekends staying up late getting hammerd or drinking on my own at home. Bad times. Decided to knock drinking on the head in April 2009. Best desicion ive made in a while. (apart from buying a road bike) :)
    Limburger wrote:
    Cycling is like being addicted to all-bran: It's good for you but it will ruin your life.

Funny as f**k!!
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Flasheart wrote:
    Mccaria wrote:
    I travel to work with two friends and invariably we end up discussing our hobbies. One has a helicopter, one has a boat. Cycling is cheap.

Were you getting a lift in by one of them?

Flasheart

They have offered but neither appeals to me - I don't like flying in anything smaller than a 747 so would not be happy in a helicopter. The guy with the boat is into the serious off-shore racing with lots of wind and big seas. Happy to talk to them about their hobbies but point me up an Alpine climb and I'm much happier. In the interest of fairness I did offer to take them over the Ventoux, but no takers. :wink:
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Depends what sort of cycling you are in to. Day rides and touring? Then the mint condition 1985 bike I picked up off the bay for £50, assuming it is well cared, for will see me out with minimal expediture on gears, tyres, chains etc. It depends on your level of satidfaction with what you have or you can be devoured by the marketing people. Same for most hobbies. I have an ancient set of golf clubs in an old leather bag. Been out a few times with a couple of mates who sported the latest most expensive gear. We all went round within a few points of each other. Of course we need others to spend on the latest gear so we can inherit it, hardly used a few years down the line. We all have different ideas on how much we are willing to spend on our pleasures.
  • scoob113
    scoob113 Posts: 80
    Got what i thought was an expensive bike in 2007. Nearly three years on I'm now maintaining more bikes than i ever thought useful. And now need to maintain them properly cos hey're getting proper use. So yes, expensive.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I say no.
    Mayv=be some one can work out the cost of drinking weekly average of say 10 pints a week and smoke 20 cigs a day.
    I reckon I could by top quality bike every year for less. :D
  • trtimothy
    trtimothy Posts: 117
    yes without a doubt, I have 3 road bikes and 1 mountain bike and trust me cycle kit is remarkably addictive!!! curse you wiggle :lol:
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Oh yes, in monetary terms as i do not commute and could walk or use a bus pass to get around. But in terms of the pleasure it affords it is priceless. As said elsewhere, you have the opportunity to choose your level of commitment; there is equal pleasure to be had at all stages.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    the money I save on commuting costs makes my cycling almost cost neutral. Almost but not quite.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Less is always more, in cycling terms :?
    bagpuss
  • If you are passionate about something it will always cost you something but its worth it :D