help needed please

tatman69
tatman69 Posts: 176
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Need urgent help please folks. Am on holiday an was about to do my first proiper trail at thetfiord but am having chain probs after short trail today. Basically its fine pedaling forward but as soon as you stop or back pedal a little the chain pops off then eventually pops back in. Looks like it could be a prob with cogs on the drive chain. What's odd is that you can back pedal and the wheel moves. Have cleaned which I thought had fixed but after 2 miles it happened again. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    I dont think its got anything to do with your chain.

It might be your cassette thats sticking internally.

How old is the bike.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Does sound like a sticky freehub. Depending on the age & condition the freehub needs taking off and flushing out and then relubing. Not a 5 minute job if you have no tools and aren't used to stripping wheels down.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • tatman69
    Sorry didn't mean the chain more the drive chain. I cleaned the hub and it spins fine looks like one of the small cogs on the drive chain sticking but I cleaned them too and they were ok for 2 miles then it happened again. It could be the hub but seems ok when I spin it. Bike only 8 months old and looked after. Should wheel spin when back pedaling ?
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Its shouldnt have any more resistance other than the ratchet, which will turn the wheel a little but not as much as if you were pedaling forward
  • tatman69
    Ok so that a red herring. Will try cleaning again in morning. Weird how the intial clean fixed it for 2 miles. Could that happen if it was the internal workings of the hub ?
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    tatman69 wrote:
    Basically its fine pedaling forward but as soon as you stop or back pedal a little the chain pops off then eventually pops back in.
    tatman69 wrote:
    What's odd is that you can back pedal and the wheel moves.

Freehub problem. Unless you brought a chainwhip, cassette tool.etc with you then there's little you can do, other than either put up with it or take it to a bike shop.
  • colt
    colt Posts: 173
    Try lifting the back wheel off the ground and then pedal the wheel up to a decent speed, and then suddenly stop pedalling does the chain then go slack? It will look as if the chain is being pushed forward by the cassette, If it does it points to the sticky freewheel mentioned earlier,
    I had a similar problem with my bike and once the freewheel was lubed properly the problem dissapeared :D
    Trek Fuel EX8 Rootbeer, mmm beer!
  • tatman69
    Colt you say the freewheel needs lubing...I take that is an internal job rather than just a sqirt of dryline ?
  • colt
    colt Posts: 173
    I fixed mine temporarily by laying the bike on its side, drive side facing up and then putting plenty of lube all around the cassette making sure the centre received plenty of lube.

I will say this only lasted a couple of rides though and eventually booked it in for a full service where they stripped it down to components and regreased/ relubed everything on the bike, no problems since! (oh gawwd ! just jinxed myself now haven't I )

Try lubing it up you've nothing to lose and it might just save your holiday! :D Btw for what it's worth I flooded it with plenty of finish line wet lube.
    Trek Fuel EX8 Rootbeer, mmm beer!
  • tatman69
    Cheers for the advice will do and fingers crossed thanks