Cruiser vs Hybrid vs Mountain Bike

Hotbunnycharlie
Hotbunnycharlie Posts: 9
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm about to buy a bike through the cycle to work scheme, and I have my eye on one in particular, though I will admit it may not necessarily be the wisest choice.
I'm based in Manchester, so for those that know it's mostly flat, with a couple of hills (sadly my flat is surrounded by them so either way, the start of my commute is up an incline!

I LOVE the Electra Blanc et noir cruiser, and it's easily changed to suit my needs, ie. with panniers etc.

But I fear that I just have what my father calls "bike crush" and that I'm not really considering what I need. My commute will be, at worst, ten minutes by bike, but very slightly hilly, so it seems the the smart choice is a hybrid. I hope to use the bike on the weekends as well to get around, or to go for bike rides, but nothing particularly strenuous.

Can I feasibly get around in a cruiser, or am I just asking for trouble?

HBC

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Well....

I did.

8 miles each way.

For 3 years.

It was fun! I still have the cruiser, see the 'old commuter' link in my signature.

It's great for pootling around, if someone's starting out they're fine, but they're slow. Slow and heavy. I can barely lift mine, and I'm not exactly a waif. I used it for short pootle rides on the weekend around london, and commuting, and shopping etc etc etc. I still use it for shopping, pootling around Ealing and going on very leisurely bike rides with my housemates who don't care for going fast.

Despite the weight and the speed, having a bike you love makes you more likely to cycle. It did for me anyway!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    It has streamers, what's not to like? :)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Well....

I did.

8 miles each way.

For 3 years.

It was fun! I still have the cruiser, see the 'old commuter' link in my signature.

Full marks for stamina, but that bike's just plain wrong!

2185670760_99e8d3ef4c_m.jpg
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Well....

I did.

8 miles each way.

For 3 years.

It's the no streamers, right? :)

Although, it could probably do with a complete set of pedals, too...
  • No it doesn't need a second pedal, what's life without a little variety?

did you find that it was a problem on big roads? The first portion of my journey is a main road with 2 lanes, with a hill start at an intersection (where i'd need to be in the so called "middle lane" and some very angry drivers who seem to be in a rush to do anything. I'd like to live, but since there's not really space for 2 cars AND a bike, what would you suggest doing?

I love the cruiser, but worry about its ability to start quickly or deal with hills, and mancunian drivers have been willing to run me over when im walking, in a bike I fear i'm an easy target!
  • lost_in_thought
    No it doesn't need a second pedal, what's life without a little variety?

did you find that it was a problem on big roads? The first portion of my journey is a main road with 2 lanes, with a hill start at an intersection (where i'd need to be in the so called "middle lane" and some very angry drivers who seem to be in a rush to do anything. I'd like to live, but since there's not really space for 2 cars AND a bike, what would you suggest doing?

I love the cruiser, but worry about its ability to start quickly or deal with hills, and mancunian drivers have been willing to run me over when im walking, in a bike I fear i'm an easy target!

Heehee, I decided it did need a second pedal in the end.

I actually found that the acceleration was not a problem at all, you get going very quickly, but your top speed's not great. As for hills, I've been to Manchester all of once, and went from piccadilly station to the velodrome and back again in a taxi, so have no idea how hilly it is up there; but I didn't find any hills in London I couldn't get up, albeit slowly!

And it's not more of a problem on big roads than any other bike! I'd advise you to indicate with your whole arm, be confident, and behave like a slow-moving, cool-looking car! :D
  • lost_in_thought
    Well....

I did.

8 miles each way.

For 3 years.

Of all my bikes, I get by far the most compliments on that one. People love it.
  • Awesome! The acceleration was a major concern, but since I don;t generally go faster than 9mph anyway (or at least i didn't when i lived in strasbourg - which is VERY flat) so top speed's not a concern. When I want to have a proper bike I'll fork out accordingly!
  • lost_in_thought
    What's more, the Blanc et Noir is a 3-speed, whereas mine was a lowly one-speed! You'll be fine! The only thing I'd advise you to do is put a plastic bag/hotel shower cap over the saddle if you leave it outdoors in the rain - the saddles are like sponges and you'll get a wet bum! :D

It's a great looking bike. I'm now browsing the cruisers on chain reaction cycles...
  • I'm taking now chances with my new baby! It's getting the VIP treatment - locked garages at both work and home with CCTV!
    And If I'm feeling particularly nice I might even wash it often.. I have vague memories of an old mountain bike of mine being quite mudcaked...