Trouble on the trail?

ollietatts
ollietatts Posts: 42
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
On my local trail i now want to have a go at the boardwalks/log steps/ steep rock descents but every time im on the approach to a feature something seems to stop me, im not worried about falling off so i dont know whats wrong with me, so is the best way to just go for it and hope for the best or stay on the easier stuff to boost confidence?
any advice would be great.
cheers, ollie.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Just build up to it.

First time I went down a track with some easy northshore, I couldn't do it but then I went and did it in the dark and before I knew it I was on the same stuff I was going around the week before.

It made me realise it was much easier than it looked and was just a confidence thing
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Tis mind over matter, I have the same problem. What I have learned is that if I bottle it first time I'm borked. Next time it will be even harder. I got a chance to ride the new elevated logs we've been building at Gisburn recently, I just had to come around the corner up the ramp and onto the log without stopping. Mind you I nearly wee-weed myself half way along, it was all going a bit wobbly, I was four feet off the ground and there was nowhere to put a foot down. Got to the end mind.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • knee/elbow pads. I lose all confidence if I ride without them now.... I feel naked!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Eeewwwwww
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    I wish i had the bottle i had when i was a kid,i am getting better though.
  • vengeance111
    vengeance111 Posts: 137
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    knee/elbow pads. I lose all confidence if I ride without them now.... I feel naked!

yeah, get some pads and a full face helmet and you'll feel invincible..... until you fall off :roll:
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    knee/elbow pads. I lose all confidence if I ride without them now.... I feel naked!

yeah, get some pads and a full face helmet and you'll feel invincible..... until you fall off :roll:

You forgot the pressure suit/core xaver, dress like a power ranger, have time heal and cash to fix your bike then go for it :lol: that's what I do and have more fun for doing it :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Why is it we lost our bottle of when we were kids? Is it easier back then? Because even though we were liek loons back I still had few bad offs. So being older now and stronger etc you'd think even fewer offs?!?! So shuld be more confident?

All said and done, it'll hurt more now won't it? Must be the sole reason! haha. Pussy!
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    Why is it we lost our bottle of when we were kids? Is it easier back then? Because even though we were liek loons back I still had few bad offs. So being older now and stronger etc you'd think even fewer offs?!?! So shuld be more confident?

All said and done, it'll hurt more now won't it? Must be the sole reason! haha. Pussy!
    Don't know about you, but I have a wife and 3 young children who are dependent on me, my wife does not even drive.

If I were to break an arm or leg or even worse then things would be quite difficult in the Ho hum household!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I don't have those worry's yet, that's one thing. But i still have less bottle than when I was a kid so that can't be what does it.
  • stuart_c-2
    stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
    I’m the same as Ho Hum, wife and 2 offspring, my mind is telling me that if I was out of action due to a broken something then life would not be good at home.

To the OP, I’d say you need to approach these obstacles with a bit more speed and just try not to over think it. I’ve found that if I don’t have time to weigh it up properly I’m more likely to go for something. I’ve found riding in a group, especially in the middle, helps. You can see the guy in front of you do it and you know there are people behind so you’re less likely to baulk.
    "I ride to eat"