London to Edinburgh

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,602
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi All

From the 1st to the 7th May I cycled from my home in Kingston up to Edinburgh with my girlfriend. I read lots of good advice on here before I went so thought I'd post a quick review of how the trip went.

Day 1: Kingston to Tempsford, 76 miles

Grey start but it was actually a nice day. After pub lunch just wore a t-shirt for the afternoon (only time on the trip this was possible!). You know all that advice about loading up your bike and taking it for a test run well before the trip to make sure it works and isnt too heavy etc? Yes well I ignored that. Built the bike up the weekend before, the bike shop had it until thursday sorting the gears, then I put the rack on. Finished packing panniers 1am Saturday then went to bed for 9:30 start. First time I'd ever ridden it with panniers on, was actually fine though, Felt quite heavy up little hills once we got north of London though (how I'd miss those hills in the Pennines).

Finished about 6 then spent 45 minutes or so finding the b&b.

Day 2: Tempsford to Caythorpe, 83 miles

Fairly uneventful, although one of us (not me) fell in a ditch in a pretty hilarious clipless moment. Felt like a long day, particularly last 15 miles. Long straight towards the end on a largeish road which wasn't much fun. Everything was shut in the village when we arrived (pubs had stopped serving food) so the b&b owner made us toasted sandwiches, chips and apple pie for free! Also she had a closed yard to keep our bikes in. www.caythorpebandb.co.uk highly reccomended.

Day 3: Caythorpe to Scunthorpe, 48 miles

Short day which was lucky as 20mph headwinds made it feel like a long one. Scunthorpe doesn't win any awards for scenery, though our b&b was nice again. Allen at the Downs Guest House let us keep our bikes indoors and reduced the price (was already the cheapest of the trip) to just £30 so we could give a bit more to the charity we were fundraising for.

Day 4: Scunthorpe to Hemlsley, 83 miles

Some really nice scenery today. Very long straight road with rolling hills past Howard Castle with nice arches. Girlfriend left her camelback at the castle though which meant a 10 mile round trip for me to collect it once she realised 5 miles down the road. That was actually pretty fun as I left my panniers with her so bike felt really light. Youth hostel this time.

Day 5: Helmsley to Alston, 88 miles

Toughest day of the trip. First few miles were in the North York Moors (double crankset proved controversial as had to stand up for a lot of the steeper hills here) then a flattish bit to Barnard Castle. After that it was into the North Pennines which was really just one long 10 mile ish climb, followed by a 5 mile ish cold descent to Alston. The final few miles were great fun but the climb beforehand was very long and slow. Youth hostel again for the evening.

Day 6: Alston to Selkirk, 87 miles

Again quite a difficult day. Went through the most deserted area of the whole trip, just north of the Scottish border near Carlisle. Miles with nothing but the odd farm or timber lorry. Got to an inn at 8 but no rooms, so just had a quick dinner then did the last 12 to Selkirk nice and quick. Met a couple of guys at the inn doing LeJog who had been camping most nights.

Day 7: Selkirk to Edinburgh, 46 miles

Nice short final day!! Went across to Peebles rather than go straight up the A7 to make it better. VERY windy last 20 miles, but nearly there so it didnt feel too demoralising. Felt great to finish, went up the the castle as a good finish line. Friend who lives in Edinburgh put us up for the night and fed us loads. Train back on Saturday!

Overall it was great fun. The route was mainly the LEL 2005 route which I found on bikely, and edited a bit to go through places to stay.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/London-Edinburgh-London-2005

Kit all held up really well, no punctures even. Wondering what to do next now. LeJog might be on the cards for July.

Happy to post kit list or whatever if people are interested.
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Sounds like a cracking little trip...chapeau!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Russell Smith
    Russell Smith Posts: 229
    Pan, nice we also used the LEL route to get to Newcastle Gateshead, rode past Scampton where the Dambusters took off, the Village Church was full of War Graves, rode past, and the majority of the graves were German, fantastic views out of Lincoln on the ridge.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12672222
    and http://www.veloandblue.com

Well Done..
    :lol:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Thanks Lastant.

Russell, we diverted a bit there too and went into Lincoln and through Scampton on the way to Scunthorpe. Agree about those being some nice views. Lincoln in particular was good, found a really quiet bike path into the city centre then up a steep cobbled hill (called steep hill I think!) to the cathedral.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono