All Weather Gear ?

Acelliott
Acelliott Posts: 50
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
At the mo I'm only a fair weather commuter :oops:
but this MUST change
I have a nice 7mile B road to work, so not far
I hate carring a ruck sack, so I plan to have a change of cloths at work.
at the mo I have Bib shorts, long sleve base layer jersey and SL shoes
so I guess I need a breathable water proof jacket that will fit in my jersey pocket ?
some water proofs for legs and feet ??
or should I just get soaked and dry out at the other end?

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited May 2010
    At that distance, I'd live with the odd summer downpour, until the winter, then you should go to town. Although a light weight emergency water poof could be useful, something from the dhb range or maybe a Montane featherlite, which is super light and well priced.
    http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/w ... jacket/104

If your fairly serious about cycling, then moving to waterproof panniers will help, no need for a backpack etc.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Gore phantom softshell jacket is the best thing I've bought - windproof and you can zip off the sleeves for a good 3/4 jacket. You're going to get wet, but you don't have to get cold.

It is pricey at £90, but I use it 5 days a week all year (apart from summer). It's so good I got another one.

Search around the net for deals, but here's the one I mean:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Gore_Bike_Wear_Phantom_II_WINDSTOPPER_SO_Windproof_Jacket/5360030077/

If not a Montaine featherlite jacket is highly regarded.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11427
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Acelliott
    Thanks
    I have just purchased the Montane Featherlite
    and till winter I should be fine
    although this is the UK and anything can happen lol
  • Acelliott
    What about bags
    Bar bags
    Sadle bags
    ruck sacks
    removable panniers ?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use Ortleib Rucksacks and Panniers for commuting. Completely waterproof, very comfortable and capacious. Even in the worst of weathers you work gear will be bone dry (as will your laptop, phone and work papers, if you take them backwards and forwards).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    SealSkinz socks are a must if cycling in the wet weather I think.

Also I'd recommend some waterproof shorts/pants. I like Endura Eventi 3/4 shorts - it's awesome but, a bit pricey.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I use a large bum bag - I can even get a spare shirt in it if I need to but keeps phone, wallet etc dry. I hate a rucksack and don't want panniers but I don't even notice I have a bum bag on.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    When its cold you need layers. Zips and layers mean heat can be regulated.
    Base layer then appropriate jersey.
    You should own a summer jersey, autumn jersey and one for the winter.
    A gilet is handy when the temps get to 1 or 2 degrees or below zero.
    I also carry a cap in the jersey pocket. If it rains it keeps the water off the sunglasses.
    In the summer you may as well live with the occasional downpour, however I'll still put on my overshoes so I don't have wet shoes for the return journey or the next morning.
    If it's a little cold and it rains I'll put on the Lusso windstopper ( latest Lusso one is the Aqua - £25 ).
    The folded up windstopper is carried along with rolled-up overshoes in the jersey pockets.
    This way you don't need backpacks or panniers.
    I bring shirts and underwear in to work once a week using a backpack and take the dirty ones home.
    Trousers get dry cleaned near work and shoes stay at work.
    Oh and fit mudguards if you can.
    £90 for a commuting jacket ???!!! Just cycle faster.