Upgraded to XT Brakes

cgarossi
cgarossi Posts: 729
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I ordered some XT brakes from Merlin last thursday (see quickest despatch ever thread) and they arrived the next day.

I stupidly ordered the wrong mount adapter but a quick trip to the LBS soon sorted that. Installation took about an hour over all, however after testing them it turned out that the rear brake was leaking oil all over the place. I turned out that the end piece and olive had come loose, and this was probably due to the fact that unravelling the brake hoses while they were attached to the levers and calipers had caused them to dislodge. It sounds like a bonus having brakes delivered pre-bled and assembled, but I think if you're not carefull (as I clearly wasn't) then problems can occur.

Luckily my friend had the facilities to bleed brakes using a non-conventional but probably easier method than it describes in the manual. We removed and reatached the brake hose making sure it was on tight, then removed the cover from the reservoir and moved the brake lever so that it was level. We then un-did the bleed nipple from the rear caliper and, using a horse syringe and plastic tubing, forced mineral oil through the bleed nipple, up the hose to the reservoir. I was on hand to catch the fluid that over flowed from the reservoir. We kept doing this until the oil ran clear of any bubbles and was full to the brim, then resealed it. Bleed complete.

However, the hose sill leaked. Another trip to the LBS to pick up an end piece and olive, another rebleed and everything was fine.

We went out for a big ride yesterday and I can say with certainty, that if anyone is considering upgrading from Juicy 5s or perhaps even Elixirs, I can whole heartedly recommend XT brakes. I know its down to preference, but they feel fantastic. You always seem to know exactly where the wheel is about to skid and stop it from happening. Almost like ABS for bikes! Recommended! Best brakes I have ever had.

The set up was a bit of a faff, but it was worth it.

Comments

• + potato.

Properly set up xt brakes are superb :)
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    Can't fault my xt brakes, even better with superstar pads in them!
  • mfereborn
    mfereborn Posts: 480
    The process of bleeding you mention is known as back bleeding and im a very big fan of it, particularly for motorcycles where they can be a real berch to bleed, however i've heard some reports that it can damage master cylinder seals. im unsure how true this is though.
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767
    Yep, lucky enough to have XT as standard on mine. Fit and forget, has not needed adjusting/sorting since I bought the bike. As the OP says, they have reaaly good feel to them that allows you to feather the brakes and find the 'edge of grip' for the tyres 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Yup, XT brakes came as standard my recently-purchased Anthem X2. Compared to the Juicey 3's on my Reign, XT's are fantastic and with lots of adustability too.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • wesk
    wesk Posts: 131
    This is a good thing - I'm sitting here at work with my new set of XT's ready to fit when I get home - I took the Juicy 5's off in a fit of rage when I had another ride with them rubbing the entire distance (yes I kow it's me that's at fault, but a bad workman and all that!!) :lol:
    Sadly it will be Friday before I get to actually use them in anger... :(
  • I'd like to see some input from the "gurus" at MBUK/WBM defend their poor rating of the XT brakes.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I'd like to see some input from the "gurus" at MBUK/WBM defend their poor rating of the XT brakes.

Brakes are totally a subjective thing what one person likes another will loathe. I have Avid Elixirs on my commi and I totally love the progressive feel but they dont get a good rating 2 stars I think. The bike came with Formula K18 Oros which all the testers love but I utterly hated I just couldnt get on with the grabby fade prone pieces of crap, but all the reviews say they are fade proof and will stop a space shuttle.

A mates new bike came with Avid Juicy 5s, one ride and he binned them and fitted Hayes Strokers. He sold the Juicys to another mate who thinks they are the best brakes ever.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I'd like to see some input from the "gurus" at MBUK/WBM defend their poor rating of the XT brakes.

"they're too hard to fit" :roll:

I really rate mine, but, they do seem to have a bit of an issue with sticky pistons, loads of people complain of it on teh internetz, I just replaced a caliper completely after 2 strips-and-cleans, should've warrantied it on day one tbh. (so got a £20 XTR caliper off the classifieds :lol: )

I think I prefer my Oros though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cgarossi
    Yep I think the reviews highlight the faffy set up of the XT system but to be fair, apart from my problems with the hose (which was most likely my doing) then I can't see what else is a problem. Maybe if you were buying it as a kit and not a complete set up there could be issues if you are unfamiliar.

The faff is worth it though.
  • wesk
    Hmm, fitted mine last night but although the front is pretty perfect (occasional rub), can't get the rear to stop dragging. The bite adjuster grub screws seem to do... nothing at all, I've got it booked into the LBS(Johns in Bath) on Friday for them to have a tinker, should get first ride in on Friday PM as planned.
  • got my XT's from Merlin pre bled..

Fitted once, set the caliper position once.... forgotten about them. Working flawlessly.
  • cgarossi
    wesk wrote:
    Hmm, fitted mine last night but although the front is pretty perfect (occasional rub), can't get the rear to stop dragging. The bite adjuster grub screws seem to do... nothing at all, I've got it booked into the LBS(Johns in Bath) on Friday for them to have a tinker, should get first ride in on Friday PM as planned.

Loosen off the caliper and adjust while turning the wheel. Bite adjuster will have limited use with fresh pads.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Northwind wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

"they're too hard to fit" :roll:

I really rate mine, but, they do seem to have a bit of an issue with sticky pistons, loads of people complain of it on teh internetz, I just replaced a caliper completely after 2 strips-and-cleans, should've warrantied it on day one tbh. (so got a £20 XTR caliper off the classifieds :lol: )

I think I prefer my Oros though.

Interestingly I've got the same combo :) Oros on my Mojo and XT on my Meta, really like both but think I'd sway more towards XT.

Really like the simplicity of bleeding them, I've done numerous sets of XT/SLX now, all you really need is a bit of tubing and a little bottle of mineral oil, topping up is very easy too due to the reservoir. Even just leaving a zip tie on the lever, so the bubbles ride, then topping them up in the morning seems to work wonders. The XT feel pretty sturdy too, superficial I know, the odd rubber tubing and things on the Oros feels a bit flimsy.

Both have been fantastic performing though.
  • wesk
    Tried centering the caliper for over an hour. It rubs slightly on both sides, not just the one. I need another spot of work doing anyway so to the shop it is!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    wesk wrote:
    Tried centering the caliper for over an hour. It rubs slightly on both sides, not just the one. I need another spot of work doing anyway so to the shop it is!

Center them as much as you can, so when you pull the lever the rotor isn't bent out of line, then go ride them a bit! The pads will bed in a bit and it'll shut up soon enough.
  • wesk
    That was tonights plan, using the 'Bath uplift' (my wife and a car!) I'm going to throw myself down some long tarmac runs into town with lots and lots of braking on the way! She'll love spending time like that im sure......
  • Northwind
    Toasty wrote:
    Really like the simplicity of bleeding them, I've done numerous sets of XT/SLX now, all you really need is a bit of tubing and a little bottle of mineral oil

I totally object to needing a bleed kit :cry: If I can bleed my motorbike brakes with nothing but a bit of hose, and they have to stop me from 140mph, why is it my pushbike needs £30 worth of hardware (on top of a £200 brake kit) to do routine maintenance? But then I used the Oro one and it's really nifty :lol: Push, pull, push, pull pull pull, done.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The thing I don't get is every one saying 'stay away from Hopes, they squeal like a pig' but I got on Northwinds Soul with the XT's and they were nice brakes except from the fact I was defeaned by the back (you could hear it down the whole track) and the front had no power at all.

So is it just another if these things where people just say typical thing to certain things (it sounded a lot better in my head :lol: )
  • Northwind
    Nah, it's because my bike's a wreck :lol: Just got the bent brake mount straightened and faced though, and I replaced the front pads as they'd got oily mud on them. That was funny though... "Here, have a go on my bike" "Oh, cheers" "Oh but watch out, the brakes don't work at all" "Oh. Thanks"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    I think Anthonys response was better "I'm fooking deaf" :lol:

And also I can't really talk, my bike is a few days old and I have already snapped a chain, fcuked my gears up and my back brake won't stop fecking rubbing :roll:
  • Northwind
    We'd been at kirroughtree and drumlanrig the week before and it was making that noise basically all the time, at one point one of our riders got left behind and found his way back to us by following my brake-siren :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    I really should get there some time.

It sounds great
  • Northwind
    Well, mainly it sounds like my brakes, still echoing off the hills, causing avalanches and curdling milk... But yep, both amazing places to ride
    Uncompromising extremist
  • wesk
    Well, after about 1500ft od desceding this evening, it's getting a better. I've almost removed all brake rub, although there is a tiny bit it's not slowing the wheel down at all so not really an issue and the power is good - getting better. I'm really please I got these, looking forward to some off road on Friday - obviously these brakes will make me faster downhill....