I love my versatile Tricross

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Last weekend I had mudguards, rack, panniers on, 28mm Marathon Plus tyres and toured and camped round Argyll, some 140 miles, including the hellish climb to Otter Ferry and the Rest and be Thankful. All my gear carried, tent, mat, bag, 2 waterbottles, and all camping stuff.

This weekend, the mudguards and rack were off, I fitted 25mm GatorSkins, and did a 82 mile loop from just south of Arisaig, round some of the most stunning coastine in Scotland, kepping the pace at just under 16mph, which for me is very impressive. This included the big climb out of Glenfinnan on 70 miles.

It may not be a lightweight, sleek roadster, but for the ease of changeover and the versatility it gives, the Tricross will take some beating.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Stirling work, Wallace. Flexibility is an often-overlooked aspect of all types of design.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Good effort Wallace! I take it you were doing a final bit of training for the Etape Caledonia?

I too love my Tricross. An understated workhorse that's fast enough to play with the bling brigade.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    kelsen wrote:
    Good effort Wallace! I take it you were doing a final bit of training for the Etape Caledonia?

I too love my Tricross. An understated workhorse that's fast enough to play with the bling brigade.

You might... :oops:

(but I will again soon!)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    (but I will again soon!)

That's the spirit! Every finely tuned athlete needs a bit of R'n'R (and the occasional cake binge)
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:

All the training done now, apart from this weeks commute.... my only aim is to keep ahead of the sweep up bus, and it trundles around at 14mph. I think I may have it within my grasp!
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Last weekend I had mudguards, rack, panniers on, 28mm Marathon Plus tyres and toured and camped round Argyll, some 140 miles, including the hellish climb to Otter Ferry and the Rest and be Thankful. All my gear carried, tent, mat, bag, 2 waterbottles, and all camping stuff.

This weekend, the mudguards and rack were off, I fitted 25mm GatorSkins, and did a 82 mile loop from just south of Arisaig, round some of the most stunning coastine in Scotland, kepping the pace at just under 16mph, which for me is very impressive. This included the big climb out of Glenfinnan on 70 miles.

It may not be a lightweight, sleek roadster, but for the ease of changeover and the versatility it gives, the Tricross will take some beating.

+1. Love my Tricross, too! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! :)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    And just think, when you eventually grow tired of it, that much scrap metal will be worth a fair bit melted down.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ......................... Waits to see rotten fruit head towards Biondino :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Cafewanda wrote:
    ......................... Waits to see rotten fruit head towards Biondino :lol:

He's jealous.

No cape to look shexy in 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wallace1492
    biondino wrote:
    And just think, when you eventually grow tired of it, that much scrap metal will be worth a fair bit melted down.

Aye, may be a bit of metal in it, but for Maryhill Road it is needed - both to protect against the potholes and the locals.... You wouldn't cross a minefield in a carbon fibre F1 car would you.... Therfore it is the perfect compromise. Well, till the niggling n+1 kicks in and I go for a full on roadie, but that will have to wait till I shed a few pounds, no point on trying to worry about the bike too much while my fitness is not the best!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    biondino wrote:

Aye, may be a bit of metal in it, but for Maryhill Road it is needed - both to protect against the potholes and the locals.... You wouldn't cross a minefield in a carbon fibre F1 car would you.... Therfore it is the perfect compromise. Well, till the niggling n+1 kicks in and I go for a full on roadie, but that will have to wait till I shed a few pounds, no point on trying to worry about the bike too much while my fitness is not the best!

Hehe. I love how passionate tricross riders are about their bikes and that says way more than lightness, or aeroness, or priciness. Chapeaux to the lot of you.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    biondino wrote:

Why wait, if I can ride a road bike at my weight/fitness level anyone can.
  • kelsen
    suzyb wrote:
    Why wait, if I can ride a road bike at my weight/fitness level anyone can.

You don't understand! It's already a road bike, as well as a commuter, and a tourer, and a cyclo-crosser, and most important of all, a faithful companion to share in all of life's trial and tribulation whilst on the road! :D

(I do see the PX behind her back at the weekends, but don't tell :wink: )
  • suzyb
    kelsen wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Why wait, if I can ride a full on roadie at my weight/fitness level anyone can.

You don't understand! It's already a road bike, as well as a commuter, and a tourer, and a cyclo-crosser, and most important of all, a faithful companion to share in all of life's trial and tribulation whilst on the road! :D

Modified my post, better?
  • kelsen
    suzyb wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Yes, thanks! :D
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Yes, thanks! :D

Not a case of waiting, the n+1 has not kicked in, and I am more than happy on the Tricross. It is comfortable for long distances and able to handle decent luggage, so will be on it all summer long. I do quite a bit of MTB as well, so its the ideal road bike. Plus I am not obsessed with speed (yet), just with mileage. Dam you SCR Stats!! However did notice this morning I was 4th for May!! (probably dropped by now)
  • suzyb
    Wish the n+1 would un-kick in for me. I've no space for any more bikes even if a recent project gave me the money for one :(
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Get the parents to build an extension onto the house? Tell Dad he needs a bigger garage? Remind them their one aim in life is to see you happy at any cost :lol:
  • suzyb
    Except whenever I even make a joke about getting another bike mother tells me I've already got a bike and don't need another one.

And tbh after this mornings maintenence disaster I'm not even sure I want to keep up with the cycling. The actual cycling is fun, all the stuff that goes with owning a bike not so much.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    suzyb wrote:
    Except whenever I even make a joke about getting another bike mother tells me I've already got a bike and don't need another one.

How old are you? 16? :)
  • suzyb
    amnezia wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

How old are you? 16? :)
    To old to be living with parents, too poor not to be.