Is cycling getting cleaner in your opinion?

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Nice simple one. Do you think that cycling is heading in the right direction? Or just papering over the cracks?

Comments

• Hmm dunno

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    How many busts this season...................................
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • finchy
    Hmm dunno
    Sorry, I tried to put that option in but it didn't work.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    alanmcn1 wrote:
    How many busts this season...................................

Several, but it's a sign that the sport is being cleaned up. Compared to other sports there is much more enforcement.
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Several, but it's a sign that the sport is being cleaned up. Compared to other sports there is much more enforcement.[/quote]

Or it's a sign that there are just as many people cheating as there ever has been, just more being caught?

FWIW I hope your take on it is right
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I think people's attitudes are changing for the better, but some have to cling on to the old ways or risk losing their status as a big gun or even just their status as a pro rider.

What has changed for me is that with the likes of Garmin, Cervelo, Sky, most of the frenchies and even HTC there is a push towards more ethical team management. I like hearing the view from the likes of Klier who have seen the darkest days and who now believe things are better. I think we could even see a clean winner of the Giro for the first time since Hampsten. But only if Cadel wins.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'd imagine roughly a similar proportion of people are taking stuff, just the stuff they take, or the way in which they take it, has less of an effect on performance, than, say 8 years ago.
  • finchy
    I'd imagine roughly a similar proportion of people are taking stuff, just the stuff they take, or the way in which they take it, has less of an effect on performance, than, say 8 years ago.

So do you think this means it's easier to compete and win clean these days? Or do you think it's still a case of he who has the best pharmacist will have the best palmares?
  • cleaner now than say the 90's but there are still plenty at it.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think it's cleaner compared to the days when teams ran their own doping programmes and all the riders were expected to pay into it. I used to assume that the vast majority of riders were doping in any given season - I now assume that a biggish majority in the top teams are riding clean - of course I could be way out on either of those.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.