Road bike v MTB

2»

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Late to this but I recently bought a Cube Reaction race MTB for the trails and for my winter commutes with Ice Spikers. It weighs almost exactly the same as my road bike in full commuter trim (about 11.5kg). I averaged 16mph versus 18.5mph on the roadie and worked much harder. It was more fun down some of the really pot-holed and bumpy roads.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    I believe the expression of the year around this forum is 'Collect your cape at the door'

In other words consider a CycloCross.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • CdrJake wrote:
    I believe the expression of the year around this forum is 'Collect your cape at the door'

In other words consider a CycloCross.

Yeah I'm considering the Cotic Roadrat it looks a nice machine,
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Are you riding on mountains?

Clue's in the name...

You get a MTB and move to London, you'll regret that purchase.

Just saying is all.
  • Yeah I know, sadly right now I'm not 100% certain that I'm gong to be moving and can't hold out forever!!!

Are there any really good alternatives to the Roadrat?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, many rigid MTBs.
  • DazCr
    DazCr Posts: 32
    For what it's worth, think the Boardman Cyclocross may be worth a look....

If you don't mind maxing out on the C2W allowance, looks like a cracking spec.

The tyres and frame should easily handle potholes, has drop bars so you can change riding position and also has brake levers on both the upper and lower bars. Almost the best of both worlds.

I'm now up to 3 Boardman's (hybrid, full susser and now their hardtail Pro) and would thoroughly recommend them. I seriously agonised over whether to get the HT Pro (which I did in the end solely due to the riding I do) or the CX.

Here it is: http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/CX_Pro.html
    Boardman HT Pro with a few mods
    Boardman Team Full Susser
    Boardman Hybrid
    A retro hardtail seemingly made of lead
  • Well I'm not going to be moving to London now, so wondering what people in Edinburgh are using to get around, the roads are in some state around here so I was guessing that something like a Specialized Allez Elite might not last long on the roads around here, or am I just worrying too much?