Do you hand or machine wash your Assos clothing?

miurasv
miurasv Posts: 345
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I have a few Assos bib shorts and tops that I've worn a few times that up until now I've hand washed only with the Assos detergent which is time consuming. Do you wash your Assos stuff in the machine and if so what cycle do you use? Does machine washing Assos garments cause them any damage? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    If you can afford Assos get the butler to clean them :lol:

Seriously though mine get a handwash even though its time consuming - they still go in the machine to spin though so I expect a machine wash at low temp can't do much harm.

There's always dry cleaning too to consider.

1967 Engine
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,615
    There are some things I will handwash:
    - Cashmere sweaters
    - Silk shirts and socks
    - Me

ALL other stuff goes into the machine, especially anything made almost entirely of synthetic fibres, and some of it is largely recycled plastic at that.

And use cold water. Hot water washing is simply a waste of electricity.

Sheesh, MTFU you lot!!!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Machine wash, short cycle (sic!). Just make sure they're in the laundry bag, with no items containing velcro anywhere near them!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I've hand washed them when there isnt much else to wash, but otherwise use a handwash cycle on the washing machine, with my merino & sportwool items. I use the little mesh bag for the bib shorts but the longs dont fit so just put them in (inside out) and put things like my mitts (with velcro) in the mesh bag instead.

I avoid conditioner in all those washes as that can affect the stretch of lycra items over time.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    I put mine along with all my other gym gear in the washing machine, 30 degree, 600 spin and always always use the Assos detergent - never soap powder. It helps keep the elasticity in the lycra and does indeed work - been doing it for 2 years now and theyre all like new.

I put the airblock jacket, bibs, evo jersey etc along with any other training gear and it comes out smelling lvvoely and clean.

Hang dry and dont use the dryer !! you'll have no issues.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Machine. With normal washing powder/liquid.

I think you only need the bag if it's a drum type machine with the post in the middle (to
    stop it getting stretched around it).

The main thing with Assos is to wash them quickly after use. Some sweat dissolves the
    material (makes it see through), so if you can't wash them, at least rinse.
    exercise.png
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I machine wash mine, in the bag, with the Assos liquid detergent. I have been wondering lately though what could be used as a worthwhile substitute for the Assos liquid stuff. Surely 'normal' washing powder would still clean them without damaging them? :?
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Been washing Assos stuff at 30 degrees with normal washing powder for years and years, heavy usage as well. Kit looks fine and the washing doesn't appear to have made any difference.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I wash them in the machine at 30 degrees with pure soap flakes, and place bibshorts in the laundry bag, and longs inside out as said above.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    TheStone wrote:
    Machine. With normal washing powder/liquid.

I think you only need the bag if it's a drum type machine with the post in the middle (to
    stop it getting stretched around it).

The main thing with Assos is to wash them quickly after use. Some sweat dissolves the
    material
    (makes it see through), so if you can't wash them, at least rinse.

:shock:
    More problems but still living....
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I wash my Uno shorts at 30 degrees short wash with liquid sachets non bio. They have really faded especially along the seams. They are nearly a year old. Still stretchy but dark grey instead of black. My other shorts have not done this.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I wash mine at 30 degrees in non bio delicates liquid from M and S. No fading, no deterioration. It would just cost too much to use the Assos stuff every day!
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    I stick it in the machine without the bag, 30 degrees, non-bio tablets in the drawer. Hasn't caused any problems with my Assos gear, or indeed any of the cycling clothes i have.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Don't be silly...

Stick them in the washing machine at 30 degrees and forget about it.

two advices:

1) no tumble drying

2) no drying in the sunshine

both ways the elastic fabric ages quickly. Dry them by hanging in the shade and they'll last long
    left the forum March 2023
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    I get the Assos girl to wash mine :D
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Why would you not wash them in the machine? I have always washed mine in the machine and had no problems, if they could not stand it then it would be a very poor state of affairs.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • what do people do about spinning after putting in the machine? assos says no spinning but i hate having to squeeze the water out!

lowest spin cycle surely alright? (i still use the bag)
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I only use the Assos liquid when travelling - it smells great but I am not willing to pay for it for regular use when normal liquid wash products eg Persil appear to have had no detrimental impact. Hand wash has only been done by me when there hasn't been a washing machine handy.

I haven't worried about spin cycles either and no damage has been incurred.

very good point made earlier about velcro - don't mix in the wash with lycra, unless you fancy buying some new gear.

I think that many manufacturer's instructions are extremely precautionary.

Peter
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I get the Assos girl to wash mine :D

She licks mine clean :wink::lol:

I wash mine (like I have been washing my gym kit for years) at 30C quick wash with Ariel's latest offering (P&G's best product & P&G make the best detergents...).

Why all the non-bio guys? Are you allergic to enzymes? You might want to avoid powders (and, these days, some of the sophisticated tabs) that contain bleaching agents but they'll be fine.

Jeez - they're designed to grind away on a saddle at 37C+ soaked with sweat for hour-upon-hour and then you guys are hand-washing them along with your slinky silk smalls?

You do actually want to get rid of the nasty bacteria that grinds away around your most sensitive bits.

The one thing that does upset me is the colour (bright fluorenscent dayglo) running on my Airjack into my white baselayer - just from my sweat.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • 30 degrees, normal 1200 spin, no bag and all good. Even tumble dry on low temp if need it done quick.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    rjsmith wrote:
    Been washing Assos stuff at 30 degrees with normal washing powder for years and years, heavy usage as well. Kit looks fine and the washing doesn't appear to have made any difference.

+1

I'm pretty sure being caked in mud, road salt and sweat for a few hours during your ride is far more damaging than a bit of soap and lukewarm water in the washing machine.
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    Been using Nikwax techwash for all my kit, seems ok so far, and a reasonable liquid detergent alternative to the supplied Assos stuff..
  • i've had my two pairs of assos bib shorts for 5 years now.
    they get used once a week each and get machine washed at 40 degrees with whatever planet killing detergent is to hand and machine spun each time.
    the black pair are still in very good condition the blue pair have faded a little but are still sound.
    thats why you pay the money for them.
    assos washing liquid / little seperate bag to wash them in?
    what a load of old cobblers time for a can of man up methinks.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    I turn my AirJack inside out along with non Assos bibs, and wash on 'delicates' cycle at 30oC and 700 spin with DP liquid soap flakes from Waitrose and no conditioner - this apparently helps preserve any DWR treatment on fabrics too
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • I wash my bib shorts in their bags and the longs and jacket inside out.
    I use Woolite detergent which is excellent for all delicates ( so the wife says ! )
    and wash them in the machine on a handwash cycle 800 spin.
    All the clothing is still in tip top shape after a couple of years. :
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    As above with the dp soapflakes on a 30 deg handwash or delicates wash with a low spin. Avoid velcro (or put velcroed items in a bag)
    M.Rushton
  • I get the Assos girl to wash mine :D

Hey - let's try to keep this on topic. Does she hand wash them or use the washing machine? :roll:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    I hand wash my gloves, which have velcro on them. Everything else goes in the machine on a cool wash with a slow spin with non-bio gel stuff (yes, I am allergic to enzymes ;)).