First ride today since getting a bike

Oxygen Thief
Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Clocked up 32 miles. Went along the River Tyne. Photos via below link iif interested. Was happy with my fitness that's what I was testing out basically. Same again next weekend :)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=264254&id=223706719&saved#!/album.php?aid=264254&id=223706719&ref=mf

Comments

• Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Congratulations on your first ride, I am sure you will get to enjoy many more.
  • NIce pics, I'm from Newcastle to and ride those exact same routes you were on :)
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cheers both. I saw the Byker Tyne loop route on cycle-route website and thought I'd give it a whirl. Enjoyed it a lot. Same again next weekend I think, now that I know where I'm going! Got lost a few times lucky I had my google maps on my phone :)

We'll have to ride it together sometime if you fancy it.
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Nice pics. Looks like you had the weather with you that day. 32miles is not bad at all.

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cheers. Yeah went out and it was looking a bit gloomy, soon brightened up, if it had gone the other way the ride would not have been so enjoyable!
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Damn I thought I was doing fantastic at 20 miles.

Good job mate
  • Oxygen Thief
    I stoped a lot, not through tiredness but to take phots etc but sure it would have helped with doing the distance. Legs are sore today though. I like the feel though.
  • willph
    willph Posts: 7
    jeannot18 wrote:
    Nice pics.JC

I notice he did pick his shots carefully though, Wallsend isn’t the most picturesque of places! :lol:

This is my local ‘regular’ route with the exception of the ferry; I take the tunnel so it’s not quite as long. I find for a riverside cycle there are actually a couple of hills, nothing too taxing though, so it’s great for blowing away the cobwebs and stretching the legs after tedious days at work.
  • Oxygen Thief
    I was thinking about taking the pedestrian tunnel but never been on the ferry so thought why not :) Yeah the bit through Wallsend I was thinking hmmmm camera staying firmly in pocket.
  • willph
    My cadence certainly increases at that particular point. :lol:

The tunnel is quite a surreal experience on a Saturday evening when it’s deserted. The escalators take an age though, and the North entrance “down” escalator has been out of action for a while so I just shoulder the bike and take my time. They’re steep! :shock:
  • Oxygen Thief
    I might have a look next time, will cut a lot of miles off the route though. I think it was extra 3 1/2 miles onto ferry from the pedestrian tunnel, so about 6 in total including other side. Not sure I want that :)
  • willph
    Fair enough. If you're after an even longer ride; you can keep going west from the Millennium Bridge and pop across Scotswood Road Bridge. That'll add a further 9 easy miles!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Yeah will def give that a go one time. Someone suggested to go have a look at the hills up round somewhere near the coast on South Shields side too which will add a good few more on I think too. Bit far from home if I'm knackered then though! lol