Advice on routes north out of Nice

theboytaylor
theboytaylor Posts: 5
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm off on holiday to the south of France soon and if I'm lucky enough to get a day to myself I'm hoping to have a go at the col de Turini and col de la Porte. I'd hope to loosely base my day on the route of the final stage of this year's Paris-Nice, so starting and finishing in Nice, heading north, probably along D2204 (route de Turin), D2566 and D21.

The one thing that's worrying me so far is working out how to get out of Nice safely and easily. A lot of the roads north look like major routes (using google maps satellite images). I don't want to take too busy a route or too much of a diversion as I have a long day ahead of me!

So, any advice on how to get from central Nice (train station or maybe promenade des Anglais) to la Trinite/Drap?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    The best ways out of the city are the ones that get you into the hills immediately. My favourite way out is as follows: from the train station go west to Gambetta, turn right and ride up Gambetta, keep going straight, cross railway tracks, the road is then called Cessole. Keep going straight past a few lights until you hit a T at the top of a short steep pitch. Then turn right and keep goig straight crossing a few intersections with traffic lights. Cross the tramway, then immediately bear left going uphill. This is the road to Aspremont. At the roundabout turn right and now just follow the road all the way to Aspremont. You are now in cycling heaven. If you keep following the road and take the turn off to St Blaise / Levens abt 3km after Aspremont, you can get to Levens and from there down to the Vesubie valley to pick up the P-N stage route.

The road to La Trinite/Drap is quite busy and I would do the loop such that you do it going down (it is a slight uphill from Nice). There is no real alternative for it.

Another great way out of the city is via the Col d'Eze (Bd de Bisschoffsheim). You can then follow the Grand Corniche all the way to Menton and return via the Col de la Madone.

I am a part time resident of Nice (because of the cycling!). Let me know when you are going. I'd be happy to show you some routes if I happen to be there.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • PieterM,

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful and confirmed some of my worries about the road I had in mind. I'll definitely take a look at those suggested routes, though - cheers!

I'm going to be there the last two weeks of May. Thing is, it's kind of my in-law's holiday and so I can't stamp my feet and demand a few days off cycling. We may be doing some sailing, which I guess is cool enough for one holiday 8) !!!

If I get a firm date for a day or two cycling, I'll drop back in here.
  • i'm in nice during the last week of may and intended to fit in a day or two cycling as well. i'm not at a great level fitness wise but would love to tag along if anything is organised.
  • i'm in nice during the last week of may and intended to fit in a day or two cycling as well. i'm not at a great level fitness wise but would love to tag along if anything is organised.

If I'm able to get out, I'll post back here.

I've devised the following routes, one over la Madone (45miles) and one over Col de la Porte (63miles). I mapped them on Bikehike, so couldn't save them there, but I have saved the .tcx files to my computer. You're welcome to them - if you're interested, PM me.
  • cookiemonster
    cookiemonster Posts: 668
    Some help here

http://www.greg-tess.com/bikeroutes/

I rate the climb up to the Col d'ecre the best out of the ones on the coast - its a very scenic climb and there are some nice places to stop for lunch on the way up or back. The madone has to be done, but its pretty dull tbh

If I'm able to get out, I'll post back here.

I've devised the following routes, one over la Madone (45miles) and one over Col de la Porte (63miles). I mapped them on Bikehike, so couldn't save them there, but I have saved the .tcx files to my computer. You're welcome to them - if you're interested, PM me.

excellent. i'll make sure i log in when i'm out there and keep you posted of any days when the missus gives me the day off from beach duty to go and play.