Insurance for bike

sharp910sh
sharp910sh Posts: 90
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I know there are many threads otu there, but can't find anything good for me. well I want to buy teh specialized allez 16. But i woun't buy it till I have insurance. I will be basically using the bike to cummute to work, 15 minute journey. I will also park my bikeat the train station, for say less than 24 hours, more like 20 hours. I live in shared accommodation.

So I duno, what to do. Many of these insurance companies say you can only leave your bike for 12 hours at a time in public. I am also a student.

I'm getting natwest student contents insurance for my possesions. It doesn't say anything about not leaving the bike in public for 12 hours and what not.It does however say parts are not insuranced, if the frame is not stolen. So I'm guessing if someone steals my handbars, I will get nothing. I'm buying the kryptonite NY 3000 U lock, which is gold rated. I also have a old U lock for my wheels.

what is the best option. I live in guildford. which is a nice area, but theifs still lurk around.

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    For a 15 minute trip to the station, just buy a cheap hack bike and a decent lock.
  • sharp910sh
    Aidy wrote:
    For a 15 minute trip to the station, just buy a cheap hack bike and a decent lock.

I shall leave my bike at the train station for 20 hours, and at work for 9 hours each day. I meant I will be riding my bike for 15 minutes to work, every day.
  • sharp910sh
    anyone?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I agree, get a cheap bike you won't miss if it's nicked. Look on ebay or gumtree and don't spend over 50 quid, you'll be surprised what's out there.

Save the nice bike for the weekends ;-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    You're right, if someone steals your handlebars, you get nothing. However, if you claim on your home contents cover for a £40 pair of handlebars you're a muppet.

Talk to your home contents insurance company, explain the situation. They may be willing to do an endorsement to your policy. It's always a good idea to fully understand insurance cover before you buy it.

Look into other home insurance, Hiscox are good for bikes.

Also, look into bicycle insurance. http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/ for example. I find it very pricey, but hey.

Saving the nice bike for weekends is a very good idea.

And patience is a virtue.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    sharp910sh wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

I shall leave my bike at the train station for 20 hours, and at work for 9 hours each day. I meant I will be riding my bike for 15 minutes to work, every day.

I got that. My suggestion stands.
  • sharp910sh
    Aidy wrote:
    sharp910sh wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

I got that. My suggestion stands.

So there is no point buying an expensive bike. I have a subway one, but the gears are broken and the wheel is broken, which will cost me 100 quid to fix it. So i thought i may as well buy a better bike. You think its pointless if im just using it to ride to work? I want a bike to go as fast as possible, save me about 2 minutes going to work.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you want to save time then your choice of ride depends on your route. If it's all on road then an old racing bike is fine. But maybe you'd be quicker using non-road paths (I've been to Guildford once I recall quite a lot of paths suitable for cycling). In that case an old mountain bike might be better for getting over kerbs and around obstacles.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    As above, I'd never want to leave my Allez outside a train station for that amount of time. I'd rather pick up a second hand single speed for such a short journey or any cheap hack to be honest.
  • sharp910sh
    Most will be onroad actually. I think your right. I may buy a cheap second hand bike for 60 quid to go to the train station. then use this bike for work, as there is a secure car park.
  • sharp910sh
    what do you guys think of evans insurance. 39 quid, but i cant leave my bike in public for more than 12 hours. no excess either.
  • sharp910sh
    The insurance is stupid the bike must be fixed to an immovable object even when in the home. "any solid object fi xed in or on to concrete or stone, which is not capable of being undone, removed with, or lifted under/over the Bicycle"

one should therefore install a bike rack in their home, in concrete or stone. that is crazy. and i live in a shared place. so it means there is 20% excess to pay. flipping heck!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    That's actually quite normal. I'm not going to make my suggestions above again but you might want to have a look at them.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    i recently found the halifax home insurance bike cover really good, covered 6 family bikes up to £1500 value
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    sharp910sh wrote:
    The insurance is stupid the bike must be fixed to an immovable object even when in the home. "any solid object fi xed in or on to concrete or stone, which is not capable of being undone, removed with, or lifted under/over the Bicycle"

one should therefore install a bike rack in their home, in concrete or stone. that is crazy. and i live in a shared place. so it means there is 20% excess to pay. flipping heck!

I think you'll find that's probably for in your garden... In the home, as in, locked inside your house with your tv, stereo, laptop etc. - would involve forced entry to steal them - which would be a bona fide insurance claim.

My bike only needs to be locked to a solid object outside of the house - double-check the wording - no one's suggesting you install a sheffield stand in your kitchen!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • sharp910sh
    I found endsleigh insurance, fits my needs perfecly. more expensive. But beggars can't be choosers right? Any opinion on them>?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Pretty much the biggest insurers of students once you're out of halls of residence.

(In halls of residence, you'll normally find you're covered by your parents' home contents insurance)

Other than that, no, never bothered with insurance whilst at uni!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Dav3m
    Dav3m Posts: 84
    Last week I was running late for some dinner with friends, instead of finding a safe place to leave my bike, I locked it to a streetlamp in Piccadilly Circus. How I worried all through the meal and couldn't wait to get away to make sure it was still there. I was kicking myself for leaving it in such a stupid place. Luckily it was still there when I'd finished, but I'll never leave it somewhere dodgy like that again!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest :-)
  • sharp910sh
    Im taking out engleigh insurance, its gay because you have to remove the front wheel or sadle between the hours of 11pm and 7am. how stupid is that. oh weel, better safe that sorry i guess.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    M and S £4000 per bike!