building new wheels

baser
baser Posts: 127
edited May 2010 in The workshop
Hi All

I am thinking of having a new set of wheels made for my MTB to make it faster as a commuting rig.

I have laid my hands on a cheep pair off Ritchey WCS 700c rims, conti tyres and tubes etc and I am thinking of buying a pair of hubs and having them built up. I will need to use disc hubs, thinking Shimano deore / slx / xt etc.

Has anyone done this, are there any pitfalls I should be aware of other than nuber of spokes and clearances?

Thanks

Comments

• Borrow a set of 700C wheels and test the fit first. Most mountain bikes have enough space in the frame to do this, but you'll be limited to, say, 23mm tyres in some frames. Definitely a good way to speed up a mountain bike on the road, though.

If 700Cs don't fit, get a set of slicks on mountain bike wheels.
    John Stevenson
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    Thanks John

Already run slicks on 26" wheels, but spin out around 35mph, looking for around 40mph, will try and lay my hands on a set of 700c's for a test.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Also make sure that the brakes will reach, unless you use discs.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • baser wrote:
    Thanks John

Already run slicks on 26" wheels, but spin out around 35mph, looking for around 40mph, will try and lay my hands on a set of 700c's for a test.

700Cs won't quite get you that. A 622mm bead seat rim with 25mm tyre gives you 672mm tread-tread diameter; 559mm MTB rim plus typical slicks - I like 1.5 inchers, but let's say you're on 1.25ers - is 624mm so the 700Cs are only 7.5 percent bigger. Still worth having though. You might want to throw a bigger outer ring into the mix.
    John Stevenson