SIDI Shoe Size

Michelle_Sco
Michelle_Sco Posts: 26
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi, just wondering how SIDIs' are size wise. Do I order my usual size or a size up like Shimano shoes? Also are they narrow fitting shoes?

Thanks
Contact matt at bikeradar dot com please

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    If you order a size 'up' in Shimano, do the same in Sidi.
    I have Shimano and Sidi, both the same size. Appear to be the same across the width, too.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • gupta-patel
    gupta-patel Posts: 81
    Try them on first!

If they're too loose then they'e too big.

if they're too tight then they're too small.

It really is that simple.

Doh!!!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I don't think it's as simple as sizing up or down, it depends on your foot shape.

Sidis are relatively narrow unless you can find the "mega" sizes, which unfortunately aren't available in many of the top end models. That said, because they come in half sizes you can usually find something that fits. I have quite wide feet but still get on very well with sidis, I just have to go a half size bigger than the smallest size that would fit my foot length, i.e 43.5 instead of 43.

I think the half sizes might be based on the same soles as the next full sizes down, i.e. they just have more material in the uppers to make them a bit roomier. But my normal foot size is about 43.5 anyway, so I haven't "sized up" as such. The 43 is not a small 43, it's just a narrow 43. If you have normal width or narrow feet, their sizing might be spot on or even on the large side.

So yes, you really need to try them on. If you haven't got any stockists near you, order two pairs from an online retailer on the understanding that you will send one pair back for a refund, most shops are happy with this as long as you have only tried them on indoors and have been careful with the packaging etc.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    I have found Sidi shoes to be exactly as measured. So I suggest you measure your foot accurately instead of just guessing.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Try them on first!

If they're too loose then they'e too big.

if they're too tight then they're too small.

It really is that simple.

Doh!!!

No sh!t, Sherlock!
    I think the OP was looking for help. No need to state the obvious.
    If you can't say something helpful, hit the 'Back' button, and carry on... :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • I would try them on 1st but my LBS only sells Shimano and Specialized shoes. I thought they maybe were a bit like Shimanos' in that you always order a size bigger. So as I have Shimanos' already I will probably stick with them as I need them in a hurry ish and don't want to be sending shoes back and forth.

On a sub note will Time I-Clic Cleat fit a Shimano shoe OK? I heard somewhere that some shoes wont take I-Clic cleats if the shoe has too much curve.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Mine are 44 and I take 42 shoes. I would order two sizes and send the wrong ones back. My Shimano MTB shoes are also 44.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Same size in both here.

I wear both 46 in both my Shimano and Sidis. Luckily the LBS sold both so no guesswork.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I normally am a 43/44 8.5/9 but was wary when going for a new pair of Sidi's as I have high arches.

I went into my LBS and found out that I could do with a wide fitting 43, however as they couldn't get my size after about 5 weeks of waiting I ended up ordering a standard 43 pair of Ergo 2's from CRC, knowing I could send them back if there was a problem.

Turned out they were perfect as the middle adjuster (The nylon line)is just so flexible that you can make them fit perfectly.

So size wise the Sidi appear no different than other makes, get to your LBS and try a pair on and see if they will do a deal, mine are always prepared to.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I would try them on 1st but my LBS only sells Shimano and Specialized shoes. I thought they maybe were a bit like Shimanos' in that you always order a size bigger. So as I have Shimanos' already I will probably stick with them as I need them in a hurry ish and don't want to be sending shoes back and forth.

On a sub note will Time I-Clic Cleat fit a Shimano shoe OK? I heard somewhere that some shoes wont take I-Clic cleats if the shoe has too much curve.

I have SHimano shoes and I-Clics and they are fine.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • chris2109
    chris2109 Posts: 70
    i am usually 44/45 in every type of footwear but i am 47 in three diferent styles of sidi ie length wise size up 2 sizes
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I'm a size 7.5 in shoes and also a 7.5 in Sidi's.

Can't see why you'd want something bigger than your normal fit.
  • Brian-Mc
    Brian-Mc Posts: 71
    Definitely try before you buy.
    I normally take a size 8 (42), but with the Sidi Dominator, i need a 43, but with the Genius i need a 42.
    If your spending that much on shoes, make sure they fit :)
  • herusix
    herusix Posts: 55
    I take a 42 in normal shoes, Have both SHimano and SIdis and take a 43 in them have also tried Mavics(which were very comfortable) and Bontrager(horrendous footbed) which were also 43's.
    Dialled Bikes Prince Albert MTB

Giant Bowery Inc lots of Upgrades

Project Concorde Road Bike
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    just be aware that say if a size 45 is too large, the 44.5 will be smaller on the length and not the width.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    My Sidis, Shimano and Northwaves are all the same size. But looking on here it seems that's not always the case.

Might be trying them on in a shop and then looking for a price is the only way to go.
  • Well I decided to go with Sidi Genuis 5 Pros in the end. I am a size 39 normally so ordered a size 40 and guess what they are too big :lol: not overly big though so will just get some heel grips. Lovely shoes though I have just moved from Lake MTB shoes to these and the sidis work out 326 grams lighter, per shoe with cleats fitted!
  • nomoreexcuses
    nomoreexcuses Posts: 118
    I ordered same size as Shimano and found them too big, even with 2 pairs of socks. Just order your shoe size. Wonderful leather comfort compared to Shimano.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well they are italian with italian sizing so you have to be careful. Great when you get the right size though .....
  • asif25
    asif25 Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Thank you so much for these info.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    edited December 2010
    I have shimano MTB and road shoes (M122, R131 & M041) all in size 43. These fit fine.

I bought a set of Sidi MTB shoes in a 43 and they are noticably tighter. Wish I had bought a 44 (or something else all together) in hind sight. They are a diferent shape too, narrower at the front, and wider at the rear.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I switched from Shimano to Sidi (much more comfy and better made). I find the sizes the same and both are a narrow fit. Remember that in most models you can get half sizes in Sidi if you shop around. Not all dealers stock the half sizes though. I got 45.5 which are perfect. Until now I have used Shimano 46 and put up with a loose fit, but I couldnt wear a 45. If you are buying shoes mainly for winter use, you may want to consider going up half a size to allow for extra socks.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,021
    billysan wrote:
    <snip>

The one bit I really dont like is the fit around the heal/ankle. Shimano shoes grip the top of your heal well (aroudn the achilies) stopping your heal from lifting (more important in a cycling shoe!!) but the Sidi's dont do this at all. You have to do the straps up unreasonably tight to stop any movememnt. As a result Im going to look for something else.

i find the same with the heel, my specialized shoes are great here, but the sidi ones feels loose at the heel even though the rest of the fit is fine, the top of heel 'cup' just doesn't go in far enough
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny