Walking can be damaging to your health

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
The few times I've cycled over 20 miles my legs have felt fine afterwards, not a twinge of pain from them. Yesterday I do a bit of walking about (including climbing a few steps in St Pauls admittedly :wink: ) and my legs are killing me :(

No wonder there are so many cyclists in London.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    Different muscles, and where you are using the same muscles, you are extending them differently. When walking, you tend to stretch out the muscles at the front of your hips, but when cycling, you are bent forward, and so these muscles tend to shorten.

Or so I read somewhere.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    There's also the fact that cycling is lower impact than walking.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Oddjob62 wrote:

That's the key point for me. Plus it is much harder to freewheel when walking :D
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Ugh, and walking is so slow! I hate walking.
  • Oddjob62

Same.... used to walk everywhere, but since i started cycling i find it hard walking... roads that you normally zip down in seconds seem to last for ever :(
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Depends on the kind of walking. having done some hill walking e.g. the Coast 2 Coast route, walking up and down hills and on uneven paths through the lake District I found reasonably easy on the legs, even up to 15 miles or so in a day.

Walking a mere 6 miles on paved roads however on flat terrain I found to result in agony, affected me for days afterwards. No variation on the muscles used and a lot of impact on the lower legs.

So its not the walking its the kind of walking.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

Me too!

I'm just too impatient to walk places.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Don't like walking (too slow with no real option to speed up past the boring bits), hate hate hate running.

I see people out jogging and often feel like I should call them an ambulance, tongue lolling, sweat down to their bellies, limping, head rolling around; it can't be good for you.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    You need to walk a bit faster :wink:. It's still quicker than the bus over short distances in central London. Granted urban walking is nothing special, but out in the countryside, it can get you places where even an MTB can't go.

On the health point, some serious walking (off road) is good cross training, and, as well as keeping the upper leg muscles well stretched out, being weight-bearing unlike cycling, it helps prevent osteoporosis. After all, we did evolve to walk rather than cycle (heresy, I know).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    rjsterry wrote:
    You need to walk a bit faster :wink:. It's still quicker than the bus over short distances in central London. Granted urban walking is nothing special, but out in the countryside, it can get you places where even an MTB can't go.

On the health point, some serious walking (off road) is good cross training, and, as well as keeping the upper leg muscles well stretched out, being weight-bearing unlike cycling, it helps prevent osteoporosis. After all, we did evolve to walk rather than cycle (heresy, I know).

Indeed
    Oddjob62 wrote:

That is also the problem isn't it, when you consider osteporosis.
  • lost_in_thought
    Aidy wrote:

Me too!

I'm just too impatient to walk places.

I'm just too important to walk places. Fetch me my sedan chair.

sedan-chair-bath.jpg

Onward, serfs!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    meh i spent years walking the hills and then for work, so walking for me is easy though it's fair to say I amble at a fair pace, about 4 miles a hr.

you can also take routes you can't by bike etc, time and place and all that.
  • Oddjob62
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:

That is also the problem isn't it, when you consider osteporosis.

apparently so yes.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    On the subject of walking pace, I got into an argument with an advisor at the Job Centre. She was in her 50s and claimed she could easily do 6mph walking :shock: I've always based times on 3.5-4mph.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    redvee wrote:
    On the subject of walking pace, I got into an argument with an advisor at the Job Centre. She was in her 50s and claimed she could easily do 6mph walking :shock: I've always based times on 3.5-4mph.

that would be a speed walker.

I walk about 4 mph which is very much the higher end of the scale.
  • lost_in_thought
    Well, it's interesting you say that.

When I was visiting the podiatrist post-achilles-injury, I spent a lot of time walking on a treadmill. 4mph was very much a stroll for me, while 6mph was 'brisk'. I didn't have to start jogging until around 7mph, but the high 6mph area was not a comfortable or sustainable walking speed.

Things like the tfl journey advice thingy base walking times on 3mph, I think.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I reckon I can maintain a walking speed of 5mph if I'm trying.

I've been pondering marathons of late, when I worked out you didn't actually have to be running to beat a lot of people. I really can't be arsed with dealing with the impact pain of running.