Exmoor tour

Rothsay
Rothsay Posts: 64
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
I wish I could say that I am going somewhere more exotic, but Exmoor it is in a couple of weeks for four days cycling. Not been to this area before so am really looking forward to it. Especially along the coast :D Any suggestions for things to look out for or to visit?

Comments

• Han2130
    Han2130 Posts: 30
    The North Coast is really beautifull. The Valley of the Rocks near Lynton is worth a look. The Brendon Hills and the Quantocks are fab too. It's all nice! :D
  • Rothsay
    Thanks for the tips. We are cycling round to Hartland Quay which I understand is pretty good and doing some of the Tarka Trail. I am just hoping the weather picks up a bit otherwise it will be winter cycling gear!
  • Will Bowden
    Will Bowden Posts: 28
    Don't worry the weather is stunning here today 8)

If you need any local input give me a shout

Will :)
    www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
    www.ExmoorCentre.co.uk - cheap remote bunkhouse accomodation.
  • Hi, just out of interest which bit of the tarka trail where you planning on doing?

IMHO the stretch between barnstaple and bideford is the most boring bit its all a bit dull unless you have some binoculars to check out the wadding birds off in the distance!
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Have a look at the route for the Exmoor Beast sportive. Great countryside and nice roads. My favourite bit is the section from Lynton to Simonsbath
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • Will Bowden
    Will Bowden Posts: 28
    Hi, just out of interest which bit of the tarka trail where you planning on doing?

IMHO the stretch between barnstaple and bideford is the most boring bit its all a bit dull unless you have some binoculars to check out the wadding birds off in the distance!

Bit unfair :wink: The Tarka Trail is a perfectly pleasant ride if you are sightseeing and its not windy, if it was a commute run it would get a bit samey though.

Will :)
    www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
    www.ExmoorCentre.co.uk - cheap remote bunkhouse accomodation.
  • Rothsay
    Thanks for all the replies. We are doing a circular route from Tiverton travelling north to Lynmouth along the coast to Ilfracombe from where we will be cycling the Tarka Trail to Meeth with a detour over to Harland Point then head back to Tiverton. Should be a pretty varied route..... and the weather is improving!!
  • Han2130
    I live between Tiverton and South Molton. The B3137 is a nice road if you get chance to cycle it. :D
  • Rothsay
    Looks like we will be doing the stretch between Nomansland and Tiverton on the B3137 heading over from Winkleigh. It should all be good but I am particularly looking forward to the coastal run!
  • gondwanaman
    gondwanaman Posts: 22
    If you can take in Woods at Dulverton it's worth the detour. And you'll need the calories.
  • Han2130
    I'll second the fact that Woods is a fab pub.
    I live in Nomansland and our village pub, The Mount Pleasant does good food all day. The Duke of York at Iddesleigh ( out Winkleigh way ) is another really nice pub. :D
  • Rothsay
    Thanks for all the suggested watering holes. Hopefully may get to try one of them. Heading South tomorrow. Just been packing the panniers - not too heavy thank goodness. Ditched a load of the cold weather gear now that temperature seems to be rising! I will let you know how it goes on return.
  • solocp
    solocp Posts: 285
    Just back from Exmoor and stopped outside Dulverton at a campsite at Bridgetown. two minutes and we were in the Badgers Holt just over the road. I'd recommend it, good food and great beer.
  • Rothsay
    Got back from Exmoor on Sunday. Excellent trip and the weather was superb. The coast road was a bit up and down but well worth it for the views. We started in Tiverton in the afternoon and cycled up to Simonsbath. The next day we went up to Lynton and then round the coast to Braunton. Following day headed down to Bideford and across country to Hartland Quay - which was superb. Next day dropped back on to the Tarka Trail and headed back to Chumleigh. Getting back to Tiverton the final day via The Mount Pleasant in Nomansland where we had a good lunch - thanks for the recommendation Han 2130!

Included a pic of the bike fully loaded!

Got to start thinking about next year now..... :D [/img]084sml.JPG
  • Rothsay
    Got back from Exmoor on Sunday. Excellent trip and the weather was superb. The coast road was a bit up and down but well worth it for the views. We started in Tiverton in the afternoon and cycled up to Simonsbath. The next day we went up to Lynton and then round the coast to Braunton. Following day headed down to Bideford and across country to Hartland Quay - which was superb. Next day dropped back on to the Tarka Trail and headed back to Chumleigh. Getting back to Tiverton the final day via The Mount Pleasant in Nomansland where we had a good lunch - thanks for the recommendation Han 2130!

Photos on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_mos

Got to start thinking about next year now..... :D
  • Han2130
    Nice photos. :D