Ultremo HT

dancook
dancook Posts: 279
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Couldn't find any posts on these, and they don't appear to be on the UK site.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/ultremo_ht

It's those damn graphs that spell them out as their fastest, grippiest tyres they've got that has me sold.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires

Compared to the Ultremo DD, looks nice huh?

Does anyone else have any thoughts about them?

Comments

• Running tubs would be an unusual chice for commuting, that's for sure. :D
  • dancook
    Running tubs would be an unusual chice for commuting, that's for sure. :D

Call me a newb :) but why? and what's a 'running tub' ?

I guess i've still got 2-3 months before I actually make a decision on a bike, so might as well learn something.
  • Ah, right. Tubs are tubular tyres, basically full cylinder tyres which you stick to special rims with glue. They're great long as you never get a puncture, or have a support car with spare wheels following you on your commute. :D
  • dancook
    or have a support car with spare wheels following you on your commute. :D

I'll speak to the missus.

• dancook
    Besides what would be the ultimate tyres for speed, grip and puncture resistance?
  • dancook wrote:
    Besides what would be the ultimate tyres for speed, grip and puncture resistance?
    Mythical ones.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    dancook wrote:

There are threads on this in the "Road Buying Advice" section. You need to factor in durability as well if you want a tyre for commuting.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    dancook wrote:
    Mythical ones.

So true!

Fast and grippy means soft light rubber. Protection means hard heavy rubber and various other inserts like Kevlar bands which add weight.

If someone found a way to do both then it would be the only tyre on the market.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dancook
    yea cheers, i'll take a look.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Have a look at Vittoria Rubino Pro, Michelin Krylion, Continental GP 4 Seasons, Schwalbe Luganos.
  • dancook
    MatHammond wrote:
    Have a look at Vittoria Rubino Pro, Michelin Krylion, Continental GP 4 Seasons, Schwalbe Luganos.

thanks
  • dancook wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

thanks

Good recommendations. I use Rubinho Pros, I find them fast, durable and relatively resistant to the fairy, they take a high pressure too. I hear good things about Continental GP4000s, I may try them next time.