Long-ish training ride on Sunday morning from SE London

ketsbaia
ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
After last week's 75-miler in atrocious conditions with Mr BassjunkieUK, I'm heading out to the North Downs again on Sunday hoping to put in 90-odd hilly miles.

I'll be setting off from Crystal Palace at around 8am, if anyone fancies tagging along. It's a terrific route, but I can't promise the weather will be anything special.

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    oh damn i'm tied up on sun again. Are these weekend rides going to be a regular occurence? If so i'll definitely be along sometime
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ketsbaia
    Yep. Not next weekend, as I'm off to south Wales for some Marmotte training, but the following Sunday and the one after that will see me off to the North Downs again on similar length rides.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Sorry for a silly question but is North Downs the area we visited last week?
    I did mention it to the missus and also drop in "I only have 5 weeks left and need to get longer rides in......"

Didn't get a fantastic reception but I've been off the bike all week so could really do with a chance to stretch my legs before I start up the commute again next week :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ketsbaia
    Yes, mate. That's exactly where we were.

Text me if you're up for coming along.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Will do, the nice people at Evans in Woking have sorted the rear wheel now so all spokes are nice n taught and the wheels running nigh on perfick!

Metcheck isn't predicting the horrendous wind we had last week either :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ketsbaia
    Damn that wind. Kept me down to 85 miles in the end. Still had a struggle getting down from Biggin Hill, so I decided to turn round at the bottom and get blown back up it - great move.

Took in Yorkshill on this week's route. Evil climb that I only just managed without keeling over. Loving the TdF style encouragement painted on the tarmac, though.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Damn that wind. Kept me down to 85 miles in the end. Still had a struggle getting down from Biggin Hill, so I decided to turn round at the bottom and get blown back up it - great move.

Took in Yorkshill on this week's route. Evil climb that I only just managed without keeling over. Loving the TdF style encouragement painted on the tarmac, though.

Yorks hill is a killer. The encouragement is from uphill races that are held there
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia wrote:

Yorks hill is a killer. The encouragement is from uphill races that are held there

Yeah, I found that out courtesy of Youtube after I Googled the hill. Couldn't believe the speed some of those guys were flying up it - I think I was doing 4mph at the top at best.

At least I know I can do it now and on a 10 kilo boneshaker at that. :D
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    ketsbaia wrote:

Gotta love Yorks Hill, I believe Catford CC use it for their hill climbs. Some other fun hills in the area are Exedown (Gravesend CC use it for their hill climbs), just off the A20 in the West Kingsdown area, Vigo Hill, and Row Dow running of Pilgrims way from Otford.

The whole area has some great riding :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Rich158 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Gotta love Yorks Hill, I believe Catford CC use it for their hill climbs. Some other fun hills in the area are Exedown (Gravesend CC use it for their hill climbs), just off the A20 in the West Kingsdown area, Vigo Hill, and Row Dow running of Pilgrims way from Otford.

+1 to that and you can add in Carter's Hill, and some of the other drops to/from Sevenoaks/Knole park area too

Of all of them, I think Vigo hill has to be the worst for me - there is just something about the profile where I am never at a comfortable cadence. The others may be harder, steeper or longer, but that one always makes me struggle!!
  • Rich158 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Tell me about it, I live at the top of one of those. Great start to any ride, but a bugger of a last 3 miles :evil:

That's why I drive/cycle. The thought of a 3 mile drag uphill at the end of a 22 mile commute home each day would break my resolve. :cry:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    markshaw77 wrote:
    +1 to that and you can add in Carter's Hill, and some of the other drops to/from Sevenoaks/Knole park area too

Of all of them, I think Vigo hill has to be the worst for me - there is just something about the profile where I am never at a comfortable cadence. The others may be harder, steeper or longer, but that one always makes me struggle!!

Yep Vigo Hill isn't one of my favourites, try it out of season when it's wet :shock: Keeping traction is almost impossible
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2