OT? Skyrides

Specialized Needs
Specialized Needs Posts: 802
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
The smaller led rides seem to be starting this weekend. London and Manchester so far:

London rides here

Might not be the speed the normal Richmond Park lot go (estimated 7-8mph!), but some of the rides might appeal to friends, or to families. Just get more people out and about on bikes.

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    +1 I've posted in the cake stop too

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12700357

I did a search to make sure I wasn't duplicating and nothing came up in Forums for the work Skyride.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Doesn't appear they are doing the central London, closed roads event again this year?
    Unless it hasn't been announced on the site but they all appear to be led rides :-(
    Shame as it was a great day out with the eldest last year and I was hoping to take no.2 along this year.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Doesn't appear they are doing the central London, closed roads event again this year?
    Unless it hasn't been announced on the site but they all appear to be led rides :-(
    Shame as it was a great day out with the eldest last year and I was hoping to take no.2 along this year.
    I wouldn't worry yet, they only seem to be promoting May events at the moment. I expect they'll announce the central London skyride (and the other city centre large events) at a later date.

The front page of the Skyride website does still say (my emphasis):
    Sky Ride offers a host of opportunities, from free mass participation events to smaller led-group rides for all abilities. There's something for beginners and the most experienced riders.
    They had these local skyrides (basically small, led group rides) in July/August last year and it seems Sky and British Cycling want to get them up and running earlier - lots more of them, too, it seems.

I wouldn't be surprised if this earlier announcement also had more than half an eye on promoting cycling to stimulate a base of interest in the Sky pro team. Not that I begrudge them that.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I went along on the South London cycle facilities one on Sunday, but ducked out at Herne Hill.

Pros:
    Nice quiet roads
    Very easy way to get the missus out to get some more miles in the legs
    4 leaders to keep everyone in check
    Great to see families all riding together, including small kids on Barbie bikes
    Chatty, pleasant group
    We were allowed on the velodrome for 15 mins with whatever we brought!

Cons:
    Half an hour messing around at the start doing admin and checking over bikes
    A bit boring going at 8 mph to keep the group together
    Having to keep an eye on kids the whole time
    We didn't actually get to Brockwell BMX track, just a shout about "There's a BMX track in this park" during the rest stop (after 4 miles!)
    Would have been nice to get to Stockwell Skate Park as we were less than a mile away.

I think the highlight was the velodrome, as nobody expected to be allowed on the track, so being allowed to have a go was ace! I'll be back for a Saturday morning session, for sure.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    its a nice idea but its slow. the ride strong pace is 12mph.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I hate Sky and I hate Murdock ... but they do promote cycling :?

I went to the Manchester one last year, any mass collection of people on bikes must have some merit, though I'm sure many that cycled last year wouldn’t have set foot in a pedal since.

I'll go again this year ... take my camera this time.

(Just noticed, it's not the city centre closure like last year ..... I'll see what's on offer)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I've signed up for the Tamsin trail one. Although I'm sure I did it (by accident) last year when I was trying to find the start for the Richmond half marathon :roll: :)
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Apparently there's the full city centre ones in Sept or so. Hideously busy by all accounts.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits