Following on from first commute....

dubnut71
dubnut71 Posts: 123
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok so I am well and truly hooked, Specialized tricross sport procured for the work run and crank bros pedals along with specialized MTB shoes making the whole thing much easier!!!

I have also picked up a Dhaon Speed7 for "inter work" commuting, let me explain.....
I work at an office in Stanwell just on the perimeter of T4, lovely safe place to leave the bike etc. Now I have to go to all of the terminals 1-5 and also to an office over on the A4 called compass centre and I usually take the car. Main reason is that the bike parking arrangements are poor and even poorer when it comes to security. Also parking can cost me £20 and up by the time I have parked to go to 3 or 4 different meetings.

I took the car to work today and then wheeled out the folder for the run round to Compass centre and off I set! Just done it on map my ride and its a 9.6 mile round trip, thoroughly enjoyed it, folded the bike up and took it into my meeting where it got some envious glances! I have now left it at work and fully intend to do the same on the days when I take the tricross in, its a bit weird riding a folder but after 2 or 3 miles I totally forgot about it and just enjoyed the ride!

The guys in the office think I am mental though and gave me a lot of stick for riding a bike with tiny wheels! When I came back and they saw me folding up they said "what kind of bike is THAT!!!:"

I know its not a Brompton (I am a bit short of cash for one of them) and I am not exactly commuting around the square mile in London but it made me feel better, the way I see it thats one less needless car journey and it all contributes to my mileage total!!

Anyone else do a "mixed" commute or run a folder in this kinda way? makes my day a bit more :bike" and a bit less car so hopefully I am on the right track!!!!
Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
Merlin Malt 1
Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I don't have any need to do anything like that, but I really like the thinking. It sounds like a brilliant idea and the ideal bike for it.
  • outofbreath2
    outofbreath2 Posts: 216
    I think that sounds like a brlliant workaround. Very creative thinking, well done you.
  • dubnut71
    Its definitely a workout and definitely a workaround when it comes to commuting around heathrow.

Todays expenditure has been a trouser strap to keep my suit out of the chain though!!!! Went lots of places before I could find one that was not high vis yellow, finally settled on a black Zefal one from a LBS in Reading thats got a small strip of white reflective on it, looks nice!!\\ :)
    Merlin Malt 1
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Excellent, a double commute, should help SCR stats :-)

Will it work when it rains?
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Thats brilliant, the closest I have come is using the bike to go to the odd meeting at another office :D
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • russmcp
    russmcp Posts: 28
    Nice one, Stanwell, I know it well handy for the airport but watch out a few tee leafs about.

How far is your commute?
    This fitness lark is getting addictive
  • dubnut71
    Yup the double commute is raising my SCR stats considerably!!!

My commute is 34 miles, I come in from just the other side of Bracknell to the airport (17 miles each way).

And both bikes spend the day safely locked up in our stores which sits behind an access controlled door and a fat man!!!! :D
    Merlin Malt 1