Cycling and dry lips

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Sometimes when cycle (at speed) my lips tend to get dry and normally I would simply lick them. However, by chance I bought the wee'little lip threapy tin filled with aloe vera enfused vaseline. I've seen a few people with these over the years and I figured that I would give it a try*.

I've got to say that the feeling of dry (or dehydrated) lips under a film of vaseline isn't the nicest feeling.

So I ask, do you use vaseline/chapstick or do you lick your lips?

*Also I've taken to rubbing vaseline or vapour rub on the inside of the nostril to protect it from hayfever....

With poll.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• With poll?
  • DonDaddyD
    Apologies
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    there's no neither option.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Licking your lips will cause them to dry out more.

Either MTFU and live with it or WTFU and use your lip 'products'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I use "Chapstick" (it is more manly). During the winter I would smear petroleum jelly around my eyelids to ease the chapping effect from the cold making my eyes water.

A good source of PJ is the baby products shelves in Tescos (other supermarkets are available). A large jar at a reasonable price rather than the tiny tins and pots often sold.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • DonDaddyD

'Lick them again' being the most obvious option...
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    DonDaddyD wrote:

'Lick them again' being the most obvious option...

Which dries them out further....

I really can't believe I'm getting into this but WTF it's friday, the sun is shining and there are no politicians in power

Pay attention this is the science bit

Well, sort of science. Its on the tinternet
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I thought this might be another "DDD: What do girls do" thread
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I use Carmex.

Can't beat it.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I lick my lips, but that's because most of the time I'm cycling my tongue is hanging out the side of my mouth like Labrador sticking it's head out of a car window.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Asprilla wrote:
    I lick my lips, but that's because most of the time I'm cycling my tongue is hanging out the side of my mouth like Labrador sticking it's head out of a car window.

:lol:
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Blistex is the shiznet.

Not really much of a problem in the warm though but in winter i used it daily.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I only have this problem when it is below about minus five. Lip salve is very useful then.

Until reading this thread I had no issues, now I am thinking about it and....

Arrgh
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    never had the problem.....begins with an "M" and ends with a "U"
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Chapstick for me, if I start licking my lips it just makes the problem worse and I eventually end up looking like I've applied lipstick in the dark :shock:

Only get it occasionally no with no apparent reason.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Chapstick type thingy.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    don't use petroleum jelly. petroleum will enter and dissolve your cell lipids, causing your epidermal layer to malfunction and eventually you'll get even more dry.

i have another problem that in the heat i sweat so much that the sheer amount of salt precipitating on my skin makes blisters around my eyes and mouth. quite annoying. only cure would be to cycle with a constantly running portable fresh-water shower with a 600 liters tank.
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    As a girly I can heartily recommend Burts Bees beeswax lip salve. You can buy it in Boots. I have super dry lips and this is the best I've found.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Shea butter. Pure not 'diluted'.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    @dbmnk: how long does petroleum jelly take to "dissolve your cell lipids"? The stuff is only applied whilst riding and gets wiped away fairly promptly.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oh my farking god!!!!

Sooooooooooooo Gay
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    dbmnk wrote:

i have another problem that in the heat i sweat so much that the sheer amount of salt precipitating on my skin makes blisters around my eyes and mouth. quite annoying. only cure would be to cycle with a constantly running portable fresh-water shower with a 600 liters tank.

thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-024.gif
    Food Chain number = 4

• sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    lastant wrote:
    I use Carmex.

Can't beat it.
    Agreed. Bit of a tingle and smells wonderful but not in a girly way.

Also, the brand Chapstick is actually pretty good - quite gunky, tastes of nothing and smells of not much either - but that's exactly what you want as it stays put and you won't lick it off.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    pigeon fat works for me
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sometimes when cycle (at speed) my lips tend to get dry and normally I would simply lick them...........
    With poll.

I can't believe no one picled up on that
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sometimes when cycle (at speed) my lips tend to get dry and normally I would simply lick them...........
    With poll.

I can't believe no one picled up on that

Yeah but my "at speed" is about 763mph
    Food Chain number = 4