New here thinking of getting into mountain biking!

Lozi
Lozi Posts: 14
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Firstly hello i am new to the forum i havent had a look around yet i thought i would introduce myself first!

I usually ride BMX but having sold my We The People last year which i got on cycle scheme i feel its time to get get into mountain biking, the BMX was a laugh but no good for getting about!

Now i have the opertunity to do cycle scheme again and im looking at HT mountain bikes.

Current favourite is the Kona Cinder Cone but i also quite like the look of the Scott Aspect 20.

Does anybody have any advice on these or other bikes around this price? i dont really want to go above £800.

Thanks!

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Have a look at these reviews of bikes from £500 to £750

clicky

Will give you an idea of whats out there. The old well worn advice is go and sit on some bikes and try and have a test ride. Bikes in your price range are usually pretty good with very few dogs around these days. Hope this helps a bit.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    edited May 2010
    I'm guessing you will be riding XC? Also look at the Carrera Fury, Cube LTD, Ghost SE 6000, Specialized Rockhopper (SL I think) and for a more racy style, Scott Scale 70 :)
  • Lozi
    Thanks for the replies!

stubs - Cheers for the link im having a look through now, i have sat on a marin which i quite liked but i disliked the colour lol seems stupid but it would bug me for the whole time ive got the bike if i didnt like the way it looked!

mrfmilo - I will be riding alot of on road, to work etc but also some XC in my spare time! thanks for the recommendations ill check them out!
  • mrfmilo
    If you're going to be doing more road riding than off road I would invest in some slicks, or semi slicks. You'll be alot faster on-road and be able to ride further :P Then either swap tyres for off road rides or invest in a set of wheels for commuting only that you can just pop on.
  • Lozi
    mrfmilo wrote:
    If you're going to be doing more road riding than off road I would invest in some slicks, or semi slicks. You'll be alot faster on-road and be able to ride further :P Then either swap tyres for off road rides or invest in a set of wheels for commuting only that you can just pop on.

Something else for me to look into and consider i think!
  • mrfmilo
    Lozi wrote:
    mrfmilo wrote:

Something else for me to look into and consider i think!

You can get a cheap set of wheels (for commuting) from WHS for about £50 I think...?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • wardy235
    wardy235 Posts: 106
    one thing if your doing a lot of road make sure you have quick or remote lockout as it stops the forks sapping your energy and you can go faster :lol: which is always good.