Day off work - 7stanes and where?

nigpay1
nigpay1 Posts: 11
edited May 2010 in Routes
looking to drive up to the 7stanes from manchester. hopefully want to do 2 trail centre trails in one day so looking for the best singletrack trails in the 7stanes and one on the way back to manchester - maybe lakes?

any comments, open to suggestions..i only have the one day so i'm expecting a v early start.

2010 FSR XC Pro.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Glentress and Especially Innerleithen are well worth the trip up. They're both within a few minute's drive from each other as well.
    However, driving from Manchester to Scotland, riding two trails, and back in one day seems a bit ambitious.
  • nigpay1
    i know, sounds a lot to me too but If i'm going to scotland i want to make it worth my while. If it means doing a long route and short route somewhere else thats fine.

is kirroughtree worth the extra mileage? and then maybe a short route in the lakes?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd strongly suggest making a weekend of it, and staying the night in Scotland. Most of the B&Bs near the stanes are very accomodatiing to bikers. I doubt you'd regret doing so.
  • nigpay1
    i would but i've only got the thurs off, back to work fri and weekends are normally way too busy to get away for 2 days, shame though I know what you mean, been trying to get up to scotland for an age!
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Take a look at the latest MBUK. They have an article about cramming as much riding into 48 hours as possible. They do 2 trail centres in one day, have a gander for which ones.
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Takes me 3hrs to get to Man airport from Dumfries. Would probably take another 1hr to GT/Inners. Kirry is 1hr from Dumfries.

Dumfries has within easy reach Mabie, Ae and Dalbeattie.

Mabie and Ae are probably closer, Dalbeattie being 1/2hr the other way.
    Easy to get back to M6 from either Ae/Mabie.

I am off Thurs if you fancy a guided tour :lol:

Cafes @ Mabie and Ae. Showers at Ae

Depends on your fitness so allow 2hrs for Mabie and 3hrs for Ae or Dalbeattie.
    Lots of local stuff in Mabie & Dalbeattie :wink:

Nearest Lakes trail centre is Whinlatter, where I was today, which is nr Keswick about 1/2hr from M6 at Penrith
  • jamazin
    jamazin Posts: 371
    Please take me with you!
    Mabie forest. Maybe one of the greatest places to ride.
  • jamazin
    jamazin Posts: 371
    Please take me with you!
    Mabie forest. Maybe one of the greatest places to ride.