Fast flat bar commuter bike

jbacon69
jbacon69 Posts: 4
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I have £1000 voucher for Evans and want a quick flat bar commuter bike.

The options I have found so far are

Fuji Absolute 1.0 2010 Hybrid Bike £799 (was £899)

Bianchi Camaleonte V 2010 Hybrid Bike £900

Bianchi Camaleonte IV 2010 Hybrid Bike £798

Trek 7.6 FX 2010 Hybrid Bike £875

Anyone got any of these or any suggestions. I have previously had a Ridgeback Genesis (one of the better lighter ones but can't remember the exact spec) and liked the speed of it combined with the flat handlebars.

Before you all tell me to get drop handlebars!!, I have read all the arguments but I really like to have my head up on my busy 8-10 mile London commute!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I quite like the look of Charge bikes.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cha ... RRWidgetID

This is likely to be heavier than your alternatives, but the steel frame should give a nice ride.

Couple of reviews here,
    http://howardstredwick.posterous.com/ch ... led-review
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... r-08-28772
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    jbacon69 wrote:
    ...Before you all tell me to get drop handlebars!!, I have read all the arguments but I really like to have my head up on my busy 8-10 mile London commute!

Any advice would be great. ...

Any advice? Get drop handlebars!

Seriously, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever why you can't set up a bike equipped with drop bars so that you have your head up the way you want it. Tourists don't ride through beautiful scenery with their noses on their stems looking at the tarmac six feet in front of them...
    With the bike set up to suit you, you ride on the hoods, brake levers under your fingers in case of emergencies and ready to stand up and power forward, if you need to.

Then, if it's windy, or your back, wrists or neck gets stiff, you can change position to suit... plus the bike is narrower (less likely to get clipped, easier to get through gates, slightly more aero) and the hand position is more comfortable.

Just 'cos most "drop bar" bikes have an aggressive race-orientated position doesn't mean they all do. Just means that's the target market for most bikes: sporty recreational riding.

You could try asking your bike shop what they have with "randonneur" bars... might be interesting to see their reaction! :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • jbacon69 wrote:
    ...Before you all tell me to get drop handlebars!!, I have read all the arguments but I really like to have my head up on my busy 8-10 mile London commute!

Any advice would be great. ...

Seriously, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever why you can't set up a bike equipped with drop bars so that you have your head up the way you want it. Tourists don't ride through beautiful scenery with their noses on their stems looking at the tarmac six feet in front of them...
    With the bike set up to suit you, you ride on the hoods, brake levers under your fingers in case of emergencies and ready to stand up and power forward, if you need to.

Then, if it's windy, or your back, wrists or neck gets stiff, you can change position to suit... plus the bike is narrower (less likely to get clipped, easier to get through gates, slightly more aero) and the hand position is more comfortable.

Just 'cos most "drop bar" bikes have an aggressive race-orientated position doesn't mean they all do. Just means that's the target market for most bikes: sporty recreational riding.

You could try asking your bike shop what they have with "randonneur" bars... might be interesting to see their reaction! :-)

Cheers,
    W.

+1 :)
  • bumpitybump
    bumpitybump Posts: 76
    edited May 2010
    Similar specification and price is one of these

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-comp-2010-hybrid-bike-ec020015

Got one from Evans last year on the C2W scheme and like it. Can put full mudguards on it although for my Topeak trunk bag I had to change the silly "carbon wrap" seatpost for a proper alloy one so I could put the beam rack on the seat post.

The little bar ends are pretty good, moving from the "flats" to the bar ends results in a slightly lower riding position which helps with head winds, traveling a bit faster on the flat and for traveling full pelt down hill. Also the bar ends allow a change of hand position if you go out on longer rides at weekends.

Only problem I have had is the freehub stopped working - it was always noisy and it took about one month to get it fixed on warranty. Also, as I don't wish to ruin the bike riding on winter roads I've avoided using it during the worst of the winter ice / rain / dirt and plan to keep it as a spring / summer / autumn commuter.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

As one who is in the process of moving from a flat bar bike to a drop bar bike I couldn't agree with the above more. If you have tried both and still prefer the flats then go for it, but with drops you have far more riding positions available to you (including having your head up). I too thought I wanted the upright position flats seemingly offer, but I was wrong and the flats just give me unwanted tension in my upper back and neck (even with bar ends). Try before you buy!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    There are factory Cotic Roadrat builds available under £1K
  • lee170
    lee170 Posts: 236
    Dude,
    What about the cannondale bad boy!!!!!!! Awesome bike i have one and commute 20 miles per day on it and its comfy,fast,light and looks the dogs goolies!!!!!!!
    2015 orange crush
    2015 cannondale super six evo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As I have said many times, there are reasons why people like flat bar bikes. Drop bars are not for everyone.

I do agree that you don't have to have the head down position though lol.
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    I have an older Fuji Absolute but I love it.

Light, extremely well built, makes me smile when I ride it, Fuji make great bikes

Don't forget white is the new black!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    jbacon69 wrote:
    It's pretty clear what the OP wants...

Get down to Evans and sit on/try these for size and try to get a test ride on the one(s) that take your fancy. Best way to make the right choice IMO
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    jbacon69 wrote:

Yes, absolutely. However, he asked for any advice, and the only reason given for preferring a flat-bar bike was to achieve an upright posture.

Given the number of people on this board who've gone down this route and then come back to get a steed with drops, it seemed that it might be helpful to highlight the options.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Everyone's right, of course. The main thing is, don't rule out drop-bars. They are faster and more efficient. That said, they may not be for you. Try both.
  • charlesf
    charlesf Posts: 16
    In my youth I rode with drops, after being knocked off, I didn't ride for years. Threes years ago I started riding a Claud Butler hybrid, when that got too slow and heavy, I switched to a Ridgeback Flight. That is so much faster and I now realise I should have gone for drops as riding at speed with flat bars is no fun. My opinion is flats for a front suspension hybrid, otherwise if you want any speed, drops. I'm now considering a Ridgeback Century - ideal, steel frame (another essential) and drops that aren't too deep.
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    jbacon69 wrote:

Yes, absolutely. However, he asked for any advice, and the only reason given for preferring a flat-bar bike was to achieve an upright posture.

Given the number of people on this board who've gone down this route and then come back to get a steed with drops, it seemed that it might be helpful to highlight the options.

Cheers,
    W.

I have drops on one of my bikes, and I'm seriously considering changing them. Are you sure there aren't lots of people who've gone the other way too?

I don't find the position I can get on my handlebars uncomfortable, they just seem slightly pointless, since I only ever ride on the tops and the hoods. I'm sure there are options which will give me mor useable positions. I haven't decided what those options might be yet though.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Rothsay
    Rothsay Posts: 64
    Have a look at Merida bikes www.merida-bikes.com I bought a Crossway in January which is pretty good and hasn't broken the bank. They have pretty good range though still building the brand in UK ( they rank with Giant in size as frame makers!)
  • maharg22
    maharg22 Posts: 50
    Hi,

I have the Bianchi Cross, and although it has suspension on the front I more than happy with it. This is the first serious bike I have had, the rest having been £100 jobs from Halfords and you can tell the difference straight away. Smoother, easier, faster and lighter, just what I want for my odd run to work and my usual 50mile Sunday run...

Regards

Tony
    British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
    Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
    Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross
  • n.battison
    n.battison Posts: 57
    Fuji has my vote.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    After getting knocked off a few times whilst on drops I got a bike with flats (actually an MTB with slicks). Yes it's probably slower than a road bike but you do get a better view of the road and the disc brakes are much better, especially in the wet.

My view is that speed ought not to be the main motivating factor when buying a bike for commuting. Getting to and from work safely should be.

For what it's worth, my commute is a 25 mile round trip.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    FrankM wrote:
    After getting knocked off a few times whilst on drops I got a bike with flats (actually an MTB with slicks). Yes it's probably slower than a road bike but you do get a better view of the road and the disc brakes are much better, especially in the wet.

My view is that speed ought not to be the main motivating factor when buying a bike for commuting. Getting to and from work safely should be.

For what it's worth, my commute is a 25 mile round trip.

My commute is fairly gentle potter over royal parks, but others have mad dashes down the embankment etc, so the bikes differ.

can't say my old roadie is at all scary in bad weather/poor roads, it's brakes don't match the MTB's disks but other than that it's a fast stable bike.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've had drop bar bikes before, including my previous commuter which was a Tricross. For my latest commuter however I decided to go with flat bars with stubby bar ends and hydro disk brakes. My experience is also that drops are a bit faster, but not by enough to make up for the other benefits of flat bars given I'm not really in that much of a hurry.
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    Hi,
    Road bikes for over 20 years sold `em all as ongoing back/neck issues bought a Giant CRS or whatever the carbon spined/alloy bike hybrid is called in there urban range.
    Was averaging 19-20mph on £4.5k road bike now av 17-19mph on this, difference being I have kitted with mudguards for all weather and 25c tyres.
    Result very comfy enjoy the scenery no back neck issues a tad slower but so what?
    Horses for courses I would test ride a few and think what you really want..for sure drops give loads of hand positions but fitting small stubbie bar ends does pretty much the same.
    Its what YOU want not want the industry wants to sell you........ :wink:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    da goose wrote:
    Its what YOU want not want the industry wants to sell you........ :wink:

Quite! There are also courier/bullhorn bars to consider.
  • Salsamander
    Salsamander Posts: 53
    test ride every bike at evans that you like the look of, that really is the most important bit of advice I can give. buy which ever one makes you smile the most :D
  • charlesf
    charlesf Posts: 16
    I agree, FrankM, it is down to how you are going to ride. I started with a nice solid hybrid which is a great way to start/re-start riding in traffic. The only way I keep my interest up in commuting is to try and beat my average time, so I'm riding a lot quicker; quicker for me, not most others!! I my case, drops and steel seem the perfect combination.

If I could just amble along, a hybrid with suspension would be ideal on Glasgow's potholes.

In the end, all you can do is gather as much info as possible and then take a leap.
  • SECommuter
    SECommuter Posts: 7
    I moved from a mountain bike with slicks to a fast commute hybrid late last year. I wanted the performance of a road bike, with flat bars.

I went for the Ridgeback Flight 05, on bike scheme too. It is great!!

Enables you to maintain a pretty good pace, with the benefit of disc brakes for the London traffic (especially good in wet).

I am now more conscious of potholes and speed bumps vs the mountain bike, but the performance makes up for it.

My commute is a 6 mile ride from SE London into the city.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    nich wrote:
    I quite like the look of Charge bikes.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cha ... RRWidgetID

I am very happy with my Charge Mixer and would endorse the Bikeradar review with enthusiasm.
  • langtounboy
    langtounboy Posts: 55
    I adore my Giant FCR, alu frame with carbon forks :D
    I fitted a pair of ergon GC2's grips with the integrated bar ends. It gives you more than enough hand positions on a commute.
    Fit a decent set of puncture resitant tyres; gatorskinz etc.
    If the journey is any longer than 5 miles get clipless pedals. :wink:
    JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
    Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
    Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
    Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    cotic roadrat?
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    CharlesF wrote:
    The only way I keep my interest up in commuting is to try and beat my average time, so I'm riding a lot quicker; quicker for me, not most others!! I my case, drops and steel seem the perfect combination.

I keep my interest up by trying to overtake and avoid being overtaken by people on road bikes :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    lee170 wrote:
    Dude,
    What about the cannondale bad boy!!!!!!! Awesome bike i have one and commute 20 miles per day on it and its comfy,fast,light and looks the dogs goolies!!!!!!!

Light? I've read on this forum that they weigh 14kg's. That's not what I'd call 'light'

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16134564