Erratic on/off switch on my Smart half-watt rear light

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I've had my Smart 1/2 watt rear light for over a year now and I'm generally very happy with it.

When I first bought it I had a problem where the on/off switch seemed to be super sensitive and even just lightly squeezing the outer casing (anywhere, not just where the switch is located) would cause it to come on or turn off, depending on what state it was in before.

The first time I changed the batteries I realised that if I was a bit careful clipping the case back together it made the problem go away so I figured it was just that the case had been poorly or hastily closed when I bought it.

But now, after a year of not having the problem (or rather, being able to correct it on the few occasions it happened again) the problem is back.

I have opened and carefully re-closed the case about twenty times over the last couple of days and I cannot get it to go back to normal. It's extremely annoying because even just clipping the light into its holder causes it to switch itself on and sometimes just riding over bumps in the road can cause it to switch itself off while I'm travelling home.

Any other Smart half-watt owners had the same problem? Any advice?

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    It's a common fault with this light and it's predecessors. Mine and a friends regularly turn themselves on or to flash in transit. Email Smart, eventually they may take notice and do something
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Compost
    Compost Posts: 63
    I've had this problem too.

Scarily, it's worse in the wet when, frequently, I'd find myself riding along in the dark with no rear light.

I gave up and bought a better light from another brand.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I think it's due to water getting into the case - I've had the same problem with them and a night dismantled on a radiator sometimes fixes it.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yep same problem here. When I use mine in the wet it seems to switch on and off randomly and the on/off button becomes impossible to use and I simply have to take the batteries out to stop it coming on! It's the same with another Smart light I've got. It usually rectifies itself once it's dried out but it's annoying if you're cycling home on a dark rainy evening and you need to keep checking whether your light's still on...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Jamey
    Hmmm... Not really had any wet journeys for a while, plus this problem began after the weekend when i'd had it indoors (opened) because I was charging the batteries.

Also it's been ok for about a year, only just starting up again now.

Ho hum... Will try the suggestions anyway and maybe dash off an email to Smart if I get time.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    i think it's because the very sensitive switch is just too close to the plastic casing. Take the cover off, bend the switch unit down slightly and put the cover back on. I've never had any problem since I did this.
  • Jamey
    Do you mean bend the switch unit up? Bending it down would bring it closer to the casing, wouldn't it?
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Depends which way you're holding it, I suppose! Away from the casing, yes
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I periodically rinse mine under a cold tap (batteries out) to get rid of any grit in the switch. Then a smear of grease around the join to keep water out, seems to work ok. Some people tape round the join but it's a pita if you use rechargables.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Ian.B wrote:
    i think it's because the very sensitive switch is just too close to the plastic casing. Take the cover off, bend the switch unit down slightly and put the cover back on. I've never had any problem since I did this.

+1 this worked a treat on mine. Also wipe the seal with a little Vaseline on each side. Water will no longer get in.... :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Stick it on a radiator, lens off for a fair bit.......I've got one that does this regular, and two that don't...

Not the most waterproof lights, but I use mudguards as well....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had a problem with mine and one is right in the way of the spray off my mtb. I did put some vaseline round the seal though.

I'd never ride with just one rear light though - they're so cheap and I don't trust any light not to go off on a night ride. Always have 2 - just in case - we know how dopey some motorists are - why take the risk ?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Ditto, same issue with both of mine (I grabbed a couple when PBK did them silly cheap!)
    First time I noticed it was after a rather wet commute pre-Road Racers, I got to work an found the rear light on and it wouldn't turn off!!

Replaced it when I got the new light set and kept the 1/2 watts in my bag as backups but still had issue of them turning themselves on with the smallest nudge :-( Will certainly try some of the recommendations as they are a nice little light!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    yeah i've got two smart lights on the back of my commuter and they both get problematic in the wet. Haven't tried smearing grease or vaseline round the seal tho
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.