shed bike storage

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
folks

awaiting new road bike - £625

plan to store in wooden shed....the shed sits on thick concrete slabs

would my best option be to fit a ground anchor through the shed floor onto the slabs?...then a heavy duty lock onto bike??...is this a good way to secure bike??

would this be ok for my home insurance?..i will phone them and find out
any advice much appreciated

chers

Comments

• page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    i think that's about as good as you could get with shed storage. i keep my bikes in the garage and have fitted a ground anchor to the concrete floor.

a determined thief will get anything but the 'opportunist' thief wouldn't bother if they see you've get a bloody great kryptonite motorbike lock through the bike and ground anchor.
  • sharm1969ca
    sharm1969ca Posts: 136
    @ mcowann77,
    Try the shed shackle from www.torc-anchors.com with a ground anchor,with a good motorbike chain, also make sure your insurance does cover you with a wooden shed! (some dont), Mine is with ETA and very reasonable that does cover sheds, so long as bike is out of site with a recomended lock. Hope this helps mate.
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Two types of theives out there:

Opportunists:

Keep the bike locked up and covered, if its out of sight they wont notice it. On the approach to your house keep an eye on who is about - I once came down my street to find a couple of shifty looking blokes, obviously out of place, glancing in car windows etc. They had a good hard look at me as I came down the road, maybe I was being paranoid but I didnt stop at the house, done another lap of the street. They weren't about on my return so wouldn't have seen where I lived.

Determined theives:

Tend to know what a bike is worth, if they see you locally will make it their business to find out where you live. The type of people who would break into the house at night and force you to hand over what they are after. Not much you can do about these sort except making the bike and yourself as secure as possible, if only to slow them down.
    you wont put them off completely if they really want the bike, but no point in making life easy for them.

I live in a low crime area, our bikes aren't worth that much but are locked to ground anchors in a solid concrete outhouse, heavy wooden door with chubb locks plus another secured gate to get to it. Overkill for the bikes but I keep all my tools etc in there.

Still if someone came into my house at night and demanded the keys I wouldn't put up a fight - im not getting stabbed or shot for a couple of bikes!

Its a pain in the ass but thats why we have insurance.
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    cheers folks

just off the phone to AA home insurance....bike is covered as long as its in the shed and the shed is locked.

ill put a ground anchor on the concrete slab and a nice big chain to the bike

any recommendations for a chain???
  • purple rain
    purple rain Posts: 44
    Read this thread for recommendations on security etc.:

http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html#post563834

I've just bought a Fahgettaboudit Mini, will be getting an alarm disk lock next....if I had one of these a month ago I would be N+1 right now.
  • Zombie_donkey
    Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
    I'm thinking of getting a small metal shed they sell at Tesco Direct.

It will be on the patio under my bedroom window so I would hear any crackheads opening the metal sliding door.

I also have a Kryptonite sold secure silver D lock and cable that I will anchor in to the patio

.http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-6420.aspx
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Dannyboy76
    Dannyboy76 Posts: 1
    hi guys!

I had the same problem, I really needed somewhere to store my bikes outdoors and was recommeded to invest in a metal bike shed. The one I got is from Asgard which has a 5point locking system, with padlocks and eveyrthing, so is really secure. We got it ordered and installed last week, and was told that i'd get a discount on my insurance so thats a bonus! :D

They also do some ground anchor locks too so its worth a look.. the link is http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?p ... t_code=CBS
    bikestorage.jpg

hope that helps! :D

Dan
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    edited May 2010
    I have the Asgard too.... it's pretty bombproof. I store three bikes in there along with trackpump, helmet etc.

Paid £450 - get one!
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • dynastarg9
    dynastarg9 Posts: 103
    mcowan77 wrote:
    cheers folks

just off the phone to AA home insurance....bike is covered as long as its in the shed and the shed is locked.

ill put a ground anchor on the concrete slab and a nice big chain to the bike

any recommendations for a chain???

In my home contents policy (with Direct Line), the small print clearly states that bikes are only covered in outbuildings which are attached to the house. We keep bikes in the conservatory which is fine. If you had a shed beside the house though, I don't think this would count.
    I suggest you get hold of the wording and check rather than assuming they've told you the full story.
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I'm thinking of getting a small metal shed they sell at Tesco Direct.

It will be on the patio under my bedroom window so I would hear any crackheads opening the metal sliding door.

I also have a Kryptonite sold secure silver D lock and cable that I will anchor in to the patio

.http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-6420.aspx

I thought this, didnt hear them flip my bike shed and take bike :( although think I was targetted for that one and thankfully moved now :)