How far it too far on SS

Simonb256
Simonb256 Posts: 880
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm currently rebuilding up my road bikes, which is great.

However Im seriosuly considering going SS. As its easier to maintain etc.

However my commute is 22miles each way and there are a couple of good hills. Though theres only about 800ft climbing on the way there and 950ft climbing on the way home (according to bikely).

Am I insane in considering going SS for this sort of distance?

My cadence when taking it easy is around 100rpm at the moment, so spinning happily is not a problem. Though Im not sure on what gearing... 48/16ish??
"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    I'd be tempted to say go for it. There's a couple of places on my commute where I'm thankful for gears, but they don't feature on yours. I've ridden most of yours on SS bikes and it was fine.
  • Simonb256
    I've got my fitness back up finally, and I need to push i further. :)

I was just a little concerned at doing around 220miles a week SS. After building back up to it. Im only doing about 100miles at the moment. :(.

Now I just need to find everything but the frame and wheels and Im ready :) heh.

Cheers.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Simonb256 wrote:
    I'm currently rebuilding up my road bikes, which is great.

However Im seriosuly considering going SS. As its easier to maintain etc.

However my commute is 22miles each way and there are a couple of good hills. Though theres only about 800ft climbing on the way there and 950ft climbing on the way home (according to bikely).

Am I insane in considering going SS for this sort of distance?

My cadence when taking it easy is around 100rpm at the moment, so spinning happily is not a problem. Though Im not sure on what gearing... 48/16ish??

I'd be more concerned about arriving back at my house 150 feet in the air. I live on a flight path
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I do 17 miles each way on a fixed and, once you are into it it's absolutely fine. I don't have much in the way of hills to contend with and I run 48*17.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Simonb256
    thecrofter wrote:
    I'd be more concerned about arriving back at my house 150 feet in the air. I live on a flight path

elevationp.png

Elevation profile...

There is 793ft ascension and 954ft descension there andth eopposite back...

So I work in a hole, rather than live in the air.. :)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'd say that was doable, but 48:16 might be a little ambitious, I struggled when moving up from 42:16 to 44:16!

I'd recommend 42:16 or 48:18, somewhere around the 70 inch mark.

20 mph is easily sustainable on the flat at about 100 rpm and climbing is not too harsh, I got up Cheddar Gorge riding 42:16 no problem (apart from one hairpin that is stupidly steep, nearly had to bail out halfway round that)

Hope this helps
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I did nearly 2 weeks with my bike in single speed mode aka broken rear gear cable.

Have to say I enjoyed it, 17 miles each way, very flat though and I did want a bigger gear when it came to pushing the speed upwards of 22mph+..
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    Gears were considered 'a bit sissy' by Tour riders for the first few decades. If you can do an Alp on a SS (albeit they were a bit mental back then) then 22 miles should be doable. Just a question of how quickly, and what gear ratio you chose.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No way I could do my commute SS, I'm using 46:31 to 46:11 as it stands (OK I could loose the top end, but couldn't go taller than 46:30 ish and still pedal the long inclines) But if its moderately flat you should be OK....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Ive often considered making the jump.

On my normal commute I rarely use more than my three highest (smallest) sprockets at the rear (mostly the smallest) and always the large chain ring.

Although im on a slicked mountain bike and Im 90% 42:13

I use a greater spread of gears when I extend my commute home and head into the hills though. And I carry a lot of weight (both me and in the panniers ;) ) so its nice to have gears on those occasions.

However the mechanical simplicity appeals, especially for the winter months as I commute 5 days a week, all year round and the wear and tear is crazy.

I guess a SS rear wheel is stronger too as you dont have to lace it to an offset hub to accomodate the cassette?

I wouldnt convert the MTB but would be tempted to build something cheap I could use for the occasional commute.

I would imagine it improves your cadence as well, as you dont have the option of being lazy and changing gear?
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I think the hills matter more than the distance - if you can get up them OK single speed then go for it.
  • Peejay56
    Peejay56 Posts: 41
    49 miles round trip on my commute - do it three times per week.

February to late April I was riding 65" fixed - 48:20 no problems, even with a few hills near home.

Certainly your pedalling becomes more "fluid" and your leg strength will increase if hills are involved - my personal opinion.

Fixies are OK for winter commuting - straight forward and easy to maintain.

Commuting on a geared bike at the moment trying to improve my overall speed.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    It all depends on what sort of rider you are as to if it is insane

A couple of years ago I was riding 35 miles each way over Exmoor in the winter on a single speed

Gearing was 42x17 most of the time (66") although I did do it a couple of times on 52x20 (73")

Fastest time back..with a blazing tailwind... was 2 hours

All my coworkers thought I was nuts. But then they always do
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    vorsprung wrote:

A couple of years ago I was riding 35 miles each way over Exmoor in the winter on a single speed

Gearing was 42x17 most of the time (66") although I did do it a couple of times on 52x20 (73")

Fastest time back..with a blazing tailwind... was 2 hours

They're not the only ones... :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    vorsprung wrote:

Were you running 700x44c? I'm using 52x20 at the moment and reckon it's 68" with 25c tyres!
    Your 42x17 would give you 66" on a 25c.

If your coworkers don't think you're nuts, there's something amiss :-)
    but 70 miles roundtrip over a moor does seem a little extreme....

Cheers,
    W.
  • I had one for a 12 mile commute with a couple of small hills. It was fine apart from the wind. The section along the coast was hell in a wind, some days I was barely turning the cranks. I am glad I tried it out but I personally wouldn't consider another singlespeed unless it was a shorter journey or less windy area

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    I rode to work on my fixed earlier this week which was tough, but fun. It's about 10 miles and relatively flat, with some hills (1 in 4 hill of death for instance). I did it riding 52:16. On my other fixed I ride 42:16 but haven't done the commute yet as it's off the road at the moment.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Re The Crofter's sig

Hearts Scottish Cup Winners?

(I had to google it)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    When you decide which gearing to use, as has been suggested on the forum, if you have it or something close on your present set up, why don't you use it for a week or two without changing gear and see how you feel.

Or is that too silly and cost free.