Fitting a bike computer help

Oxygen Thief
Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Yo,

Just fitted my bike computer bought from Aldi earleir today. Wondering where on the wheel is the magnet and sensor meant to go? It says no more than 4mm away from each other so on my wheel that makes them pretty close to the centre of the wheel. Surely it makes a difference whether it's on outer wheel or closer to centre for speed and disctance calculations?!?!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    makes no difference. one revolution is still one revolution.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Doesn't matter how close or far from the centre - the magnet still only goes around once with every revolution of the wheel. Just fit wherever the magnet and sensor can get close enough.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Ah, of course! And I'm meant to be pretty intelligent. Shocking question! DELETE!
  • t84
    t84 Posts: 119
    I had to login and post because I have just been searching the forum for the exact same thing, Don't worry, I'm supposed to be clever as well (I think :/)
  • Ah, of course! And I'm meant to be pretty intelligent. Shocking question! DELETE!

Ha. Don't worry, I wondered the exact same thing the first time I done it. Technically a wheel spins faster if it's smaller. But only because it has less surface area. One revolution is still one revolution.

Make sure you measure around your tyre and set the computer to the size for it to be accurate. The Aldi computer isn't the easiest thing to use but it's never let me down yet.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Haha, hard days work I blame! I've done that measurement yeah cheers. Nah it's a bit stupidly designed with the two different mode buttons. Also I said no to the scan option during setup, any idea how I turn that on now?!

Cheers
  • I've had mine a year and I still don;t know how to do half the stuff on it tbh.I haven't got the patience, ha. Try holding the buttons in...I think that should reset it.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Aye I don't want toreset it though, can't be arsed taking that measurement again! Never mind sure speed and trip distance screen will do!
  • Average speed is a good one to figure out. It's a good indicator of your progress.

But when you do, let me know, cos i still haven't figured out how to reset my trip meter yet. My average speed is currently around 0.3mph..
  • Oxygen Thief
    Hahaha! Quality! I think I know that already. You hold the mode 2 button whilst in trip view or average speed etc for 2 seconds. But it's more like 10 seconds but it does work
  • Cool. I'll try that. I just bought another computer for my commuter/trek bike, so maybe I'll figure it out this time.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Might aswell. Don't try too hard though as it'll prob end up going through the window!