thanks mr milkman...

domjon
domjon Posts: 25
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
out on a pleasure ride this morning, tootling up a narrow country lane when one of the dreaded milk tankers appeared behind me...there was no room for him to pass so obviously he contented himself with revving then braking about 4 foot behind my back wheel...after about a mile of this he decided to beep his horn although where he thought I was going to pull over to let him pass is anyones guess, maybe he expected me to dive into the hedgerow. Anyway we reach the top of the hill and kick on down the other side, not fast enough for his liking evidently so I decided to pull in to the next layby to be rid of him...was a bit mithered by it to be honest and consequently misjudged the mini-curb and caught it a touch too sideways on....down goes me and my brand new boardman :evil: Now I'll happily admit it was poor riding on my part, and I appreciate you mouthing "are you allright mate?" through the windscreen before you sped off but was there really any need to drive right up my arse and beep when you were trundling along a winding country road? :roll:

The good news is...the bike survived...amazingly scratch free bar the barends...the knees on the other hand are a little more bloodied. :?

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    You "trundled along" for a whole mile without seeing somewhere to stop and let him past? Do you also have a caravan by any chance?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Wow, why did you not just pull over in the first place?
  • domjon
    domjon Posts: 25
    well perhaps it was half a mile, perhaps it was 12 16ths of a mile, I wasn't actually measuring at the time. I thought I was doing the right thing by waiting for the first safe place to pull over. Climbing a winding, narrow hill hemmed in with hedgerows I didn't particularly feel like stopping suddenly when I had 20 ton of milk wagon up my back passage. :)
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Those from That London don't have such roads. They know nothing of hedgerows and single tracks with 10 ft of bank either side ;)

I've got loads round here and it can be hard to find somewhere that you feel is safe, though most have passing places every hundred yards or so.
    us0.png
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    FeynmanC wrote:
    Those from That London

ha. since i moved away, this is my standard way of referring to it.

of course, comedy scouse accent, 'tash and perm obligatory.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    No wonder us cyclists sometimes attract a bad name... Im sure you could have safely got out of the way well before you did... you're an idiot
  • russmcp
    russmcp Posts: 28
    I too am a keen roadie and commuter also on a Boardman with a mixture of country roads etc, I think this is Gods way of paying you back :lol:

Of course I wasn't there but I think if it had been me in your shoes I would have tried to let a big muvva f**ker lorry pass me ASAP.

You were lucky to walk away with bruises to your knees.
    This fitness lark is getting addictive
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    ravey1981 wrote:
    No wonder us cyclists sometimes attract a bad name... Im sure you could have safely got out of the way well before you did... you're an idiot

were you there? do you know the road? You're "sure" are you? I don't live in a rural area, but even I've been in a narrow, hedgerowed lanes before, and wouldn't fancy a milk tanker overtaking unless i was in an appropriate layby.

maybe you are the idiot?
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    yes i do live in a rural area, yes roads are narrow at times, but riding along at a crawl, holding up traffic and then moaning about it seems to be taking the pi55 to me.

Us cyclists don't own the road you know...
  • larfingravy
    larfingravy Posts: 95
    Milk doesn't have time to wait for a cyclist. It does go sour rather quickly :)
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Bleh. Milk tankers need to get where they're going, stat! Same as you'd expect a tractor to pull over for you to pass in your car (they don't have to either) I don't think it's unreasonable to pull over to let vehicles past even when I'm doing 20+.

Even if it isn't reasonable, it avoids everyone getting in a mither like has happened here.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Easy tigers! :lol:
    Jeez, some people are excitable.
    Maybe there was somewhere to pull over, maybe there wasn't. Sometimes with raised hedgerows there isn't enough room for a lorry to pass a cyclist safely. Only 1 person here knows for sure. Save your bile for a more deserving cause. :roll:
    I save mine for that patronising cow Janie Lee Grace on the Steve Wright show. :twisted:
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    This thread is a good example of why we get grief from some Cake Stoppers and MTBers. The poor guy fell off his bike and gets called an idiot for his troubles.
    Rules are for fools.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    When I saw the title I thought you'd had a ginger baby despite having dark hair...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Maybe a quick link via Google Maps and then we can all berate or sympathise....?

I will predict the former of course, but hey you might get lucky!

(nah... you won't)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    There was no gate on the road for over a mile? I'm not one for getting out of the way of cars on single-track roads either, but I can't imagine I'd go that far along a road with a car behind me, let alone a truck. If I had to, it would be hammer down all the way.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I thought this was going to be about your wife being pregnant...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Waddlie wrote:
    This thread is a good example of why we get grief from some Cake Stoppers and MTBers. The poor guy fell off his bike and gets called an idiot for his troubles.

They do???

Right. I'm going to go over to Cakestop and type a complaint. REALLY HARD! :evil:

That'll learn them.

Barstards.

:P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    To be honest, it is difficult to say anything without looking at where he was but I have been in his situation before (last night for example and a vauxhall insignia) but I always ignore them and only let them go when there is enough room for me to let the vehicle go past me.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Some of the lanes around my way that lead to farms etc are barely wide enough for a car let alone an HGV.

You see the odd lorry hammering along them inches from the hedge on both sides.

Im sure had there been a gate or other opening the OP would have pulled in, but then again sometimes panic sets in - I can remember one incident where I had a car breathing down my neck, I could see somewhere safe to pull in coming up but was sh*t scared to slow down for fear of the guy behind me going into the back of me
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    gabriel959 wrote:
    To be honest, it is difficult to say anything without looking at where he was but I have been in his situation before (last night for example and a vauxhall insignia) but I always ignore them and only let them go when there is enough room for me to let the vehicle go past me.

A car can wait, but I'd go out of my way to let a HGV past.