Election's over the real argument starts... Tour and WC

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I can't wait, once Clegg or Brown are in and Greg's taxes are doubled to pay for me :D the real argument starts.

Oh it won't be about politics, oh no, it'll be about the World Cup and Le Tour de France.

So I'm getting these in early:

Tour de France
- Wiggins isn't going to do sh*t but Team Sky will shine probably due to a foreigner, this will raise questions about the teams mandate.
- Ben Swift if picked will go on to become the likeable Cavendish.
- Cavendish is looking thin, he'll probably get the Green Jersey this time and show hints that he intends to be a contender in years to come.
- Cancellara will demonstrate he is the man.
- Armstrongs last tour, he'll ride next year but this should be his last he'll struggle.
- Contador will win unless Valverde races then he wins. Secretly I prefer Alejandro but also like Cancellara.

World Cup
- Argentina vs Portugal final
- Ronaldo vs Messi
- Argentina wins.
- England will surprise with Walcott and Rooney.
- Spain will prove solid contenders but injuries will hamper them.
- Italy will be knocked out in the opening stages as their players are old.
- France will implode. Holland will look good but fall short again
- One African team will light up the entire World Cup, BBC will then do a cultural awareness/fairtrade stop the suffering piece on newsnight or something...

- Lost_in_Thought will disapprove of the show believing that we should focus on England and only England and to hell with the rest of World except for Australia because she likes it "Down Under".
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    You missed the main thrust of the cycling season, with Cancellara stealing the show with his wins in Flanders and Roubaix.

It's the Giro up next, starting Saturday. We can worry about France when we get there.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...World Cup ....

Don't suppose there's any point making a personal plea to all not to post about it here, is there?

It's Off Topic and some of us (well, maybe just me....) really arn't that interested...

No, didn't think so... ah well- who do you fancy for the Wimbledon title?

Cheers,
    W.
  • DonDaddyD
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    You missed the main thrust of the cycling season, with Cancellara stealing the show with his wins in Flanders and Roubaix.

It's the Giro up next, starting Saturday. We can worry about France when we get there.

Haven't Cancellara and Valverde have been riders I first identified with when I got interested in road cycling (year before last) - I'm new.

Is the Giro on Sky or Eurosport? I have sky sports mobile TV on my phone so that I can watch football matches - I had hoped that Sky would now televise cycling races now they have Team Sky. If not I'll have to get the Eurosports live TV app....

TV at work is the nuts!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...World Cup ....

Don't suppose there's any point making a personal plea to all not to post about it here, is there?

It's Off Topic and some of us (well, maybe just me....) really arn't that interested...

Cheers,
    W.

Oi! YOU! Cave! Now!

*And I'll post a pick of Clever Pun for good measure:

techno-viking.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...World Cup ....

Cheers,
    W.

World Cup? I remember them from my younger days.... the halceon days of Ally's Tartan Army, Narey's toe poke, scoring in the opening game against Brazil.... ah the memories...

Personally I want Chile to win, as I will be on Easter Island on the day of the final - the most remote island in the world.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    I'm with WGW here. Couldn't give a flying F about the World Cup. Isn't there some FootballRadar website? As for TdF, I think you might be a bot harsh on Wiggins. Last year wasn't as out of the blue as some people thought when you look back. Not sure if Fabian is any good at getting up Alps yet either, but what do I know.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Is the Giro on Sky or Eurosport?

The 2010 Giro d'Italia (May 8-30) will be shown live on cable and satellite channel British Eurosport.
    Times may be subject to change.
    Key: BE - British Eurosport; BE2 - British Eurosport 2
    Saturday May 8, 14:30-17:30 LIVE stage one: Amsterdam (ITT), BE
    Sunday May 9, 14:15-16:30 LIVE stage two: Amsterdam - Utrecht, BE
    Monday May 10, 13:00-16:15 LIVE stage three: Amsterdam - Middelburg, BE2
    Wednesday May 12, 13:30-16:30 LIVE stage four: Savigliano - Cunego (TTT), BE2
    Thursday May 13, 13:30-16:30 LIVE stage five: Novara - Novi Ligure, BE2
    Friday May 14, 13:45-16:30 LIVE stage six: Fidenza - Carrara, BE2
    Saturday May 15, 13:30-16:30 LIVE stage seven: Carrara - Montalcino, BE
    Sunday May 16, 15:30-16:30 LIVE stage eight: Chianciano Terme - Monte Terminillo, BE
    Monday May 17, 13:45-16:30 LIVE stage nine: Frosinone - Cava de Tirreni, BE
    Tuesday May 18, 13:45-16:30 LIVE stage 10: Avellino - Bitonto, BE
    Wednesday May 19, 13:00-13:45 LIVE stage 11: Lucera - L'Aquila, BE2
    Wednesday May 19, 13:45-16:30 LIVE stage 11: Lucera - L'Aquila, BE
    Thursday May 20, 13:45-16:30 LIVE stage 12: Citta Sant'Angelo - Porto Recanati, BE
    Friday May 21, 13:45-16:30 LIVE stage 13: Porto Recanati - Cesenatico, BE
    Saturday May 22, 13:00-16:45 LIVE stage 14: Ferrara - Asolo, BE
    Sunday May 23, 20:05-21:00 Stage 15: Mestre - Monte Zoncolan, BE
    Tuesday May 25, 13:30-16:30 LIVE stage 16: S. Vigilio di Marebbe - Plan de Corones (ITT), BE2
    Wednesday May 26, 13:30-16:30 LIVE stage 17: Brunico - Pejo Terme, BE2
    Thursday May 27, 13:30-16:30 LIVE stage 18: Levico Terme - Brescia, BE2
    Friday May 28 13:00-16:30 LIVE stage 19: Brescia - Aprica, BE2
    Saturday May 29, 13:15-16:30 LIVE stage 20: Bormio - Ponte di Legno, BE2
    Sunday May 30, 13:00-17:00 LIVE stage 21: Verona (TT), BE2
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    - Lost_in_Thought will disapprove of the show believing that we should focus on England and only England and to hell with the rest of World except for Australia because she likes it "Down Under".

Erm.... what?

:?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Per my previous posts on the topic the World Cup is tainted with the stench of French cheating.

I will be supporting whoever England or France are playing.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
  • DonDaddyD
    I don't get how some of you can moan about a Worldcup/Tour thread and freely embrace a politics thread.

In other news I'm a big fan of Gregory Bauge:

corvos_bauge.jpg

Me in another lifetime

Wish there was someone like him in the Tour...

I'm really excited about the major competitions this year...
    Food Chain number = 4

• will3
    DonDaddyD wrote:

In other news I'm a big fan of Gregory Bauge:...

Any particular reason?
  • DonDaddyD
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

In other news I'm a big fan of Gregory Bauge:...

Any particular reason?

Seen him on the telly, like his riding style, power and technique.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Eau Rouge
    Per my previous posts on the topic the World Cup is tainted with the stench of French cheating..

Cycling being cheat free ;)

Will3, you've linked to the track World Cup, the road World Cup was dropped when the ProTour idea came about. Now that the ProTour is becoming a little meaningless there is some pressure to reinstate the World Cup, in principle if not in name.

Has anyone else seen the profile of stage 3 of the Giro along the Dutch coast? I've seen "flat" stages before but that one is ridiculous!
    The ITT up the gravel roads of the Plan De Corones is back too, complete with shots of mechanics on the back of motorbikes trying to balance and hold onto a spare bike and some wheels :)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Per my previous posts on the topic the World Cup is tainted with the stench of French cheating..

Will3, you've linked to the track World Cup, the road World Cup was dropped when the ProTour idea came about. Now that the ProTour is becoming a little meaningless there is some pressure to reinstate the World Cup, in principle if not in name.

Has anyone else seen the profile of stage 3 of the Giro along the Dutch coast? I've seen "flat" stages before but that one is ridiculous!
    The ITT up the gravel roads of the Plan De Corones is back too, complete with shots of mechanics on the back of motorbikes trying to balance and hold onto a spare bike and some wheels :)
    Looking forward to the Plan De Corones stage. And the Zoncolan. And the one to Aprica. Oh, hell, most of them really :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • will3
    S'pose there's always the womens's world cup.

Go team Pooley!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Eau Rouge wrote:

I watch Pro cycling in the belief that it is cheat free.

This may be naive but I prefer to be disappointed than cynical.

I see no point watching (scenery aside) on any other basis.

I really is quite depressing reading the constant doping arguments on the Pro Race forum, the Flanders/ Roubaix threads being typical.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge wrote:

I really is quite depressing reading the constant doping arguments on the Pro Race forum, the Flanders/ Roubaix threads being typical.

I agree entirely, though Valverde's continued riding (and winning) is too much for me, worse than Henry and his pals being in South Africa.
  • Eau Rouge wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

I agree entirely, though Valverde's continued riding (and winning) is too much for me, worse than Henry and his pals being in South Africa.

what's the problem with France being in South Africa?
  • will3
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

geography fail.
    France is in europe
  • Eau Rouge

The winning goal in their play-off game not being ruled out despite being so blatantly deliberately illegal.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    DonDaddyD wrote:

corvos_bauge.jpg

Me in another lifetime

So would I

Look at the size of him - I'd love to see him in the mountains.....

Of course I climb like a gazelle on a cabbage only diet and could whip your Frog's arse anyday......
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    The Tour and the WC will be won by Spain.
    exercise.png
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Greg T wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

corvos_bauge.jpg

Me in another lifetime

So would I

Look at the size of him - I'd love to see him in the mountains.....

Of course I climb like a gazelle on a cabbage only diet and could whip your Frog's arse anyday......

The man has no stamina - bit of a one shot wonder unlike myself - I have the stamina of a waterbuffalo