New panniers - feckin' lovin' it!

Plumby Baby
Plumby Baby Posts: 82
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone,

:D

New person (and probably pointless thread) alert! I do 12 miles each way on my commute (5 days a week unless i have to travel to feckin' meetings in a feckin' suit) and have, since Tuesday, been using panniers (£40 jobbies from Halfords - say what ya like but i like the place. Cracking mechanic at the one i go to - its the individual that matters not the corporation).

The point of the post being just to say how much love i have for my new panniers!!! Not only can i carry the belongings of my house (as well as all the chips on the shoulders bestowed to me by Angry Young Men - aka chavs) but its made my commute much more difficult. Its taking me at least 3 minutes longer and i'm absolutely loving the challenge of trying to get down to pre-pannier time.

That, for me is what cycling is all about. New challenges...

Peace out.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I love my Panniers, I take my civvies in panniers on a Monday and back on a Friday, meaning that Tues - Thurs I'm very light weight or entirely unencumbered. Bliss.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Also enjoyed the change over, mostly for the sake of my back, secondly, some riders really object to the guy with panniers leaving them behind :twisted:

Oh and my supermarket shopping no longer requires a car, woop.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    If you are buying at the supermarket, would you lock up your panniers as well as locking bike? Or would you leave them, ot take them in? Just curious.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Plumby Baby
    @ Asprilla

Yeah i toyed with the idea of doing that but my overly competitive mind doesn't allow it. If i'm gonna get back to pre-pannier time it needs to be on a level playing field.

Although i should imagine it'll be great to suddenly shed two stone's worth of weight and then ride.

Bit like Fern Brittain or whatever her name is...

@ iPete - haven't scalped anyone yet (nor been scalped i might add!). Hopefully find out tonight...

Come on Pannier Man!
  • iPete
    If you are buying at the supermarket, would you lock up your panniers as well as locking bike? Or would you leave them, ot take them in? Just curious.

Lock the bike and take my pannier in with me, stick it in my basket/trolley, removes the needs to use bags...
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173

Surely you take them inside to put the shopping in. Or was it a trick question?
  • asprilla
    will3 wrote:

You take them with you and pack them at the till, like you would a shopping bag.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • iPete
    Asprilla wrote:
    will3 wrote:

You take them with you and pack them at the till, like you would a shopping bag.

This but don't expect to use the sodding self service properly as it doesn't like the weight of the bags :evil:

Then assuming your doing a weekend early morning shop, proceed to spoil the day of any full kitted roadies you see complete with bread stick protruding from your bags for extra kudos..
  • outofbreath2
    outofbreath2 Posts: 216
    I can feel some panniers coming on....

I've also changed (or rather the man in the LBS changed) the SPDs on the communter/hybrid to those half flats/half clickys so I feel I can now pop to the shops without feeling the need to 'gear up'. When I put the MTB shoes on I always feel I can't just pootle.

The SPD have now moved to the road bike.

(Have I used all the three letter acronyms correctly?)

However, I haven't commuted to work yet this year.....
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Asprilla wrote:
    will3 wrote:

+1 in London. In Essex I just leave them on the bike.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    iPete wrote:
    Also enjoyed the change over, mostly for the sake of my back, secondly, some riders really object to the guy with panniers leaving them behind :twisted:

Oh and my supermarket shopping no longer requires a car, woop.

This - all of it!! Managed to get some second hand Ortleibs off a chap on this very forum and haven't looked back!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Plumby Baby
    Yeah, panniers are the future. I know it.

That and 2011. :P
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Neither. Take the Brompton, and put it in the front of the trolley...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TommyEss
    I take my panniers in with me, then fill them at the checkout - thus not needing carrier bags! Takes a bit of time to balance them correctly, but you get better at judging it as you go along.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • will3
    TommyEss wrote:
    I take my panniers in with me, then fill them at the checkout - thus not needing carrier bags! Takes a bit of time to balance them correctly, but you get better at judging it as you go along.

Why do you bother balancing them? Can't say I;ve ever noticed any effect from a wonky load (at least not within the bounds of what I'm likely to carry in my panniers).

Mostly I've only got one pannier on anyway
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    will3 wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

Why do you bother balancing them? Can't say I;ve ever noticed any effect from a wonky load (at least not within the bounds of what I'm likely to carry in my panniers).

Thus spake a man who's never loaded one pannier full of bottles of beer (8 bottles - or an evening's worth - IIRC), and the other with random clothes/junk.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    I generally only use one, but then I'm usually only carrying underwear, a pair of jeans and a few t-shirts, not pints of milk, etc.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    will3 wrote:

Asking others - is will3 one of the unknowns who plays on the racetrack... clue number one there fellas!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • will3
    davis wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

Thus spake a man who's never loaded one pannier full of bottles of beer (8 bottles - or an evening's worth - IIRC), and the other with random clothes/junk.

8 bottles is not a full pannier. You're not trying man.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    will3 wrote:
    davis wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

8 bottles is not a full pannier. You're not trying man.

I've had 7 bottles of wine in one pannier. That was a touch wobbly, I can tell you.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    ok, ok, maybe it wasn't 8, maybe it was a million bottles of beer... I can't recall exactly.

Did the commute home with a bottle of Laphroaig in the bottle cage once; I seriously considered opening it just for the sheer unfettered hilarity of cycling while drinking whisky out of the bottle. Thankfully I managed to save onlookers' sides from splitting by keeping the bottle intact. It *was* only Laphroaig, though...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • TommyEss
    Yeah - to confirm - I mean going shopping and buying the milk, the orange squash, a bag of potatoes and some shampoo, plus a bag of lettuce and a kit kat - you do need to think of which side things are lying when you've got more than a couple of kilos.

Plus, I'm on a fixie and I like to fling it whilst sprinting - which only exacerbates it.

Put it this way - heading into work - feels like the bike is empty - stop off at Sainsbury's on the way home, and suddenly the bike feels very different!
  • will3
    will3 wrote:

Asking others - is will3 one of the unknowns who plays on the racetrack... clue number one there fellas!

Clue #2 I wear black shorts.........
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    davis wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

Morrisons does pretty good bottled beer, and has a reduced price for 4-bottles. That, bread flour, and 8-pints of milk can get a bit unbalanced.

I have twox25 litre(?) Vaude aqua pro panniers and usually have one for work, and the other ready for shopping etc.

Works well