new speedplays arrived! Tips and Traffic!

jeepie
jeepie Posts: 497
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

Very excited as my new stainless steel speedplays arrived in the post this morning.

Any tips from speedplay owners?

Also, I'm very familiar with clipless pedals from my Look PP 206 which I'm switching from. How long do you think I should practise (or how long do you think it will take me to become familiar with the new system) before taking them out in the rush hour!

Cheers

J

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Put the one with "R" written on it on the drive side. That's my advice.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    One thing I've found makes using them easier is to push down with the inside of the foot at first. However, that may just be me.

Go for it, you'll only get used to them by using them.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    there isnt a learning curve on speedplays like there is on looks/time/shimano road pedals.

however be warned when setting the cleats up for the first time it can take an hour or so.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    spasypaddy wrote:
    there isnt a learning curve on speedplays like there is on looks/time/shimano road pedals.

however be warned when setting the cleats up for the first time it can take an hour or so.

It took me about 1 minute to use my TIme road pedals, I reckon Speedplays can't beat that.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    gabriel959 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

It took me about 1 minute to use my TIme road pedals, I reckon Speedplays can't beat that.
    How you finding the i-clics?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    gabriel959 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

what did you go from though?
  • Read the manual.

Don't over-tighten the screws that hold the cleats on to the baseplates.

Read the manual.

If you have to refit them, use threadlock on the baseplate screws.

Read the manual.

Can't see it taking you more than a few seconds to adapt to be honest. You just stomp and go.

Did I mention that it's a really good idea to read the manual?
    John Stevenson
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    JonGinge wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

How you finding the i-clics?

They are an absolute piece of cake to get in and out. I don't think you could find an easier pedal - they are even easier than my double sided SPDs.

Float wise I am not completely sure yet as they seem to have what Time calls Lateral Float. I am still getting used to it but its not by no means uncomfortable. I was probably too used to the nearly no float on the SPD-SLs.

Power transfer wise, I can feel more conected to the pedal than with the SPD-SLs but that could also be due to the fact that I was using the bottom range R540 compared to the Time i-clic racers.

On the whole, its a very positive experience just a tiny bit short of perfect when I get the Q Factor and Float shorted out.

I have used SPD-SLs and SPDs previously.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Speedplay cleats can be slippery as ice to walk on so be careful on stairs and hard floors etc. I'd recommend getting the cafe covers (or whatever they're called) for the cleats when walking to give some extra grip and they keep gunk from clogging them up when walking on grass and mud.