Is it a good buy?

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I was bidding on this....Scott AFD Comp

and the winner has decided to not go through with the transaction, subsequently I've been offered it at my highest bid which was £325, as the topic suggests, is it a good buy?

Opinions appreciated

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    yes

however id be removing the Lubricating Reservoir on seat tube, with squib (pump) on crossbar (feeds directly to jockey roller of the rear derailleur)
    :shock:
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Its a goodbye from me

*boom boom*
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Do be very careful that your offer is legit and comes from the original seller as offering bogus second chance offers is a pretty common scam.
  • I'm assuming that your bid was actually £425, not £325, otherwise you weren't the second highest. If not it's looking a bit dodgy.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Second chance offer = seller bumps up price by bidding on his own item with a second account, should he accidently win he offers the next highest bidder (who otherwise wouldn't have bid nearly as much) the chance to buy it for an inflated price.
  • MatHammond wrote:
    Second chance offer = seller bumps up price by bidding on his own item with a second account, should he accidently win he offers the next highest bidder (who otherwise wouldn't have bid nearly as much) the chance to buy it for an inflated price.
    Precisely what can go wrong.

Really, the price you would have paid had the 'winner' not bid would be the lowest bid increment above the last bid by someone who wasn't you or the 'winner'. If I was happy that this was legit, that is what I would offer (unless I decided that it was too good an offer for me to miss anyhow - and that would depend upon my own assessment and needs).

In this case I assume you were the one with a £350 top bid. If so, then if you had won this auction (i.e no one else other than those listed had bid), it would have been at £300+ the minimum increment at that level (I don't know what that is offhand), to beat the person with a £300 top bid.
  • gbsahne001
    yes it was 350, (should have read the message rather than rely on the memory), so essentially what you suspect that even at £350 it is an inflated price from what I should have got it at.

In which case out of principle I'll stick with what I've got.

Thanks to all for the input.
  • Mr_Cellophane
    Mr_Cellophane Posts: 690
    Did he say why the winner dropped out ?
  • gbsahne001
    No, just sent an email saying that if the bidder who won had dropped out then it should revert back to my bid of £310 as this would have been the winning bid; he didn't want to go for that!