First ever full commute!

mattrsa
mattrsa Posts: 143
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Well this morning I finally did my entire commute by bike

Since I have moved further from my place of work I have been getting the train for the first 5 miles and cycling the rest

The morning I decide to try the whole route as ideally I would like to save some money by commuting by bike but for the last few months with the train fares it aint been much cheaper than driving

so this morning I did it and it was not tha bad,

22.5 miles

Think my days of getting the train part of the way are over hopefully

what sort of time do you guys set for this sort of distance? its mostly country roads about from the last 5 miles which is in an about liverpool
Commuter - Trek 1.2
Fun - Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    20.8 miles, round about 1h 10m give or take a few mins depending on wind dir, traffic, apathy, route, temperature etc.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Good going, sir. That's a goodly way. I'm guessing you'll probably need to work up to 5 days a week of that, though.

As for time, that really depends on your fitness; the roads and number of traffic lights etc. The last 5 miles will drag the average right down, I guess. Between 1 and 1.5hrs?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    JonGinge wrote:
    Good going, sir. That's a goodly way. I'm guessing you'll probably need to work up to 5 days a week of that, though.

As for time, that really depends on your fitness; the roads and number of traffic lights etc. The last 5 miles will drag the average right down, I guess. Between 1 and 1.5hrs?

i suspect that is were it will be lost and won as you where, my 5 mile commute takes about 30mins and most of that is the number of stops etc, ie a faster bike wouldn't make any quicker, at least not on that route.
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    Times are so hard to work out. I have a 12.5 mile comute and can do it between 40 m1ns to 60 mins and 5 mins mor on the return (more climbing).
    but to do 45 miles a day will be hard.
  • mattrsa
    hi guys

thanks for the replies

I have been doing 35 miles 2 to 3 times a week for the last month so I think my fitness is improving but I do think adding an extra 10miles a day is going to take its toll.

As mentioned getting stuck at lights and the rather large hill at around the 17 mile mark slow me down considerably but hopefully I can improve on the time I set this morning.
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • mattrsa
    well it almost time for the return trip

Legs are feeling ok but I'm pretty tired,

Large bowl of pasta when I get home I think
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Terrific effort fella - any faster on the way home?
    Also, remember other carbohydrates are available... esp. on draught.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • mattrsa
    no quicker on the way as there seemed to be a pretty strong head wind

Yeah will be tucking into a few frosty pints as reward tomorrow night

Also got myself a soft shell from aldi before which seems pretty nice
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • If I ever did the full commute it would be 102 miles. Have done one way before which took 3 hours 10 minutes, some how I don't think I could do that 5 days a week. Normaly just settle for 4.5 miles from home to station then get off a stop early and do 10.5 miles to the office. Best time for the 10.5 mile bit is 33 minutes.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    My round trip is 56 very hilly miles (in the Pennines). I usually do it once a week, but will go for twice, weather permitting. You do acclimatise to it, though with this kind of distance I think it wise to go for alternate days for the first seaon. However, I guess your route is pretty flattish?

Come winter that 20 miles will become a lot harder. I very much notice the difference and in December - February 56 miles is the limit of feasibility. In summer, I'll sometimes add a loop if time and family permit.

I recently did a sportif that took in the main climb of my commute. It was interesting that everyone complained that it was tough; I scarcely noticed it, not because I'm any fitter than them, but because that route was so normal to me my mind has obviously learned to ignore it (shame it didn't "ignore" the other hills!).
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Well done sir - thats some distance.

If its early in your cycling commuting career try not to overdo it - nothing will put you off cycling quicker IMO

Rather than doing a combined train / cycle commute if I was in your boat I would be tempted to do the full route four days a week and take the train the whole way on wednesdays to break it up a bit, at least until you feel fit enough to tackle it five days a week without it getting you down.

IMO the key to commuting by bike is to keep it enjoyable. Tough commutes are fine as long as it feels rewarding. As soon as it starts to feel like a hard slog have a break for a couple of days.

I commute a round trip of just under 20 miles a day. Can feel your train-pain - one of the nicest bits is the fact I save £70 a month in train fare :D
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • mattrsa
    thanks for the reply guys

Came in on the train today as I'm going for a few sneaky pints after work.

Feel fine after the commute y day, no different really than from when I commute 17 miles each way.

Plan for next week is
    monday - train , as I have circuit training after work
    tuesday - full commute
    wednesday - train as playing squash
    thurs- full commute
    friday - get train for first part and do 17 miles each way.

As said the route is pretty flat so legs should get use to it pretty quick and its just a matter of putting in better times.
    Weather does make a massive difference, was a strong head last night and did not have my jacket which made it a bit cold

will keep you updated on how I get on
    Commuter - Trek 1.2