OT: General election

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I don't know who to vote for.

My thoughts:

Tory

I can make a lot of money under the Tories, though I don't fit their particular image... and I can easily see me being marginalised or disadvantaged, not because I'm black, no, simply becuase of socio-demographic and professional life choices. I also don't believe what the Tories are saying will lead to economic recovery. I can't remember living under a Tory government but people I respect often meet mention of the Tories with absolute rage and unhappiness.

Labour

Traditionally has always got the ethnicity vote so I'm conditioned to like them. Educationally and with an open mind I ask why? In my experience at heart I think most Jamaicans and other ethnicities are actually very conservative (tough on immigration, homosexuals, don't like high-taxes and don't think 'we' should be paying for people to use health services when they're not even citizens of the Country)... Go figure... I guess many are Conservatives at heart but simply not British middle class Conservative so they vote Labour.

Lib Dem

In principle, I like them, but I struggle to understand what Cleggy represents beyond fairness. Fairness, often being code for "I will tax the sh*t out of you". Free University tuition fees scare me. When I went a lot of people wanted to go but didn't want to get hit with the £15,000 debt I've got. This was five or so years ago, it costs more now. I wanted to go, so had the loan, the overdraft, two credit cards and part-time job my entire time at Uni and holidays. I worked for it.

If all those people who didn't want to go because of cost went (and Uni's will accept them because money can be made out of them) then we would have to subsidise this through taxes and that's a lot of money and I pay enough already. However, the thought of my kids (if I have them) going for free is appealing and it would give many new opportunities in life, I'm not sure how I would benefit from Clegg.

In fact I don't see how any 28yr old first time buying on a livable salary would benefit from any of the parties.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    CiB wrote:
    The Telegraph had a good one, which suprisingly got it right for me and Mrs CiB, and we're poles apart politically. Bloody woman - don't know why I married her, cancelling my vote every time an election comes round.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/election-2010/7541285/How-should-I-vote-in-the-General-Election-2010.html

Thanks for this! According to it, I should be voting Green, next Lib Dem then Labour. Didn't include the Tories b/c I'd rather cut my hand off than voting for that lot!

Funny thing: my candidate for the English Democrats party is a guy called.... Jose Navarro! :wink:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't know who to vote for.

My thoughts:

Tory

I can make a lot of money under the Tories, though I don't fit their particular image... and I can easily see me being marginalised or disadvantaged, not because I'm black, no, simply becuase of socio-demographic and professional life choices. I also don't believe what the Tories are saying will lead to economic recovery. I can't remember living under a Tory government but people I respect often meet mention of the Tories with absolute rage and unhappiness.

That'll be because you only have to shout Fatch in some spheres and everyone claims to have been a victim of 'the mad old bat'. Doesn't matter that she was a blip in the longer view, and has been out of public life for 20 years near enough. Why not look seriously at the economy that Labour inherited in 1997 after 5 years of Major? That's a better guide surely?

Labour - for those us who gre up in that era, the 70s were domintaed by high inflation, faling pound, economy going down the pan. Who recalls Healy being called back from his plane to answer himself to the IMF? They were dark days ecnomically and socially, but like Thatcher, they've been aribrushed out of modern history.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    In fact I don't see how any 28yr old first time buying on a livable salary would benefit from any of the parties.

That's kind of the point at the moment. The cuts in public spending that are needed, are not going to life better for anyone. It's a question of which version will be the least painful if anything. Crappy, but that's a recession for you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That's kind of the point at the moment. The cuts in public spending that are needed, are not going to life better for anyone. It's a question of which version will be the least painful if anything. Crappy, but that's a recession for you.

I disagree, the waste in the public sector is extreme. Cuts are needed in certain areas and I don't think they would damage anything if managed properly. For too long the sector has associated cuts as meaning reduced quality. Spending cuts managed properly can lead to streamlining processes and making things more efficient.

"When a Chair can give herself a pay raise from £25k to £56k for two days work, I find it hard to believe otherwise."
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    CiB wrote:
    Labour - for those us who gre up in that era, the 70s were domintaed by high inflation, faling pound, economy going down the pan

The 70s may have been dominated by those things, but 1970–1974 was under a Conservative government. It's disingenuous to suggest the period was wholly the fault of Labour. Inflation was pretty high in that period as well (10% - 16%), although admittedly not as high as 1975's 24%.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Would have voted Labour if I had actuallt managed to register for my postal vote in time. Oops. As it is, it's an SNP safe seat., it shouldn't be because the SNP have more than outlived their welcome but hey, as the man said, so it goes.
  • rjsterry
    Unfortunately, it's far easier to just cancel spending programmes and raise taxes, than really put the effort into making making efficiency savings. I have a fair amount of experience in dealing with local authorities, and so am well aware of the inefficiencies - I would bore everyone if I went into detail - but I'm just not convinced that this will be tackled properly, or to a great enough extent to meet the savings needed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    To paraphrase the old gag: There's nothing like balanced election coverage. And the Sun has nothing like balanced election coverage ;-)

Trying to compare Cameron to Obama. Give me strength!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 961073.ece
  • rjsterry
    Kurako wrote:
    To paraphrase the old gag: There's nothing like balanced election coverage. And the Sun has nothing like balanced election coverage ;-)

Trying to compare Cameron to Obama. Give me strength!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 961073.ece

I saw that this morning and felt like setting fire to the paper in the chap's hands. In the interests of balance, I thought the Guardian's similar effort with Clegg was pretty stupid as well.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Agent57
    To quote someone from Twitter:

RT @willsmithuk: Dear The Sun, Cameron is to Obama what Jive Bunny is to Elvis #ge2010
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    Unfortunately, it's far easier to just cancel spending programmes and raise taxes, than really put the effort into making making efficiency savings. I have a fair amount of experience in dealing with local authorities, and so am well aware of the inefficiencies - I would bore everyone if I went into detail - but I'm just not convinced that this will be tackled properly, or to a great enough extent to meet the savings needed.

+1

If the health services actually tackled inefficiencies it would look and function completely differently to what it does now. No one has the balls to see the change through completely.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    CiB wrote:
    IIf you don't vote, you're a prat and I'll remove you from the SC Stats board if you admit to it on here. I will. Not voting in my view is a criminal shirking of public responsibility.

I don't vote.

I live in Northern Ireland

I don't get to vote for either Conservative, Labour or Lib Dem but get to live with the consequences

Stick your SC Stats

+1 - threats of any sort wouldn't get me to vote - everybody has a right to choose - deciding not to is not the same as can't be bothered
  • Agent57
    everybody has a right to choose - deciding not to is not the same as can't be bothered

I reckon deciding not to is better than "can't be bothered." If someone doesn't want to vote, I'd much rather it be for specific reasons, rather than laziness or apathy.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Thanks CIB, you've made my mind up about who to vote for.

I will not vote in the general election.

Due to the size of the Labour majority a vote placed is a vote wasted in our ward. You either increase what will be a 60-70% majority for the Labour candidate or you join a handful of the public who vote for the other candidate.

So by satying at home, not through apathy but by a protest to the unrepresentative, undemocratic and politically vacuous electoral system we have in this country I'll help to reduce the turnout which may, if enough people did the same in the 500 plus seats which are not marginal and therefore have no direct relevance to the result of the general election, would bring the electoral reform that we deserve in this country.

Bob
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,191
    edited May 2010
    I voted by post over a week back and have ignored a lot of the election fever since safe in the knowledge that it cannot influence my decision :)

Despite the likelihood that Brown and his sorry shower of overtaxing nannies may well have their hands prised off the levers of power, I can see a whole load of problems if there is a hung parliament of any combination. Particularly given the impending UK debt crisis. Fasten your seatbelts everyone...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Nigel Farage crashed while in a plane towing a UKIP banner. I'd say it was hilarious but he didn't die.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    Nigel Farage crashed while in a plane towing a UKIP banner. I'd say it was hilarious but he didn't die.
    Only funny till someone gets hurt, eh?

Saw that. Didn't find it funny even though Mr Farage is not my cup of tea. The pilot got more badly injured. Didn't find that funny either.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    CiB wrote:
    northstar wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    northstar wrote:
    We need the Australian system where a nominal fine is imposed for those that don’t vote.

No we don't, if people don't want to vote that's their choice.
    Crap. It's a public duty to vote, not an option about whether or not you can be ar$ed. And before anyone raises it, there should be a 'None of the above' option.

Not "crap", people have the choice what to do with their vote, if they don't want to then that's their personal choice (Naturally they won't be able to complain if they don't).
    Utter crap. Good job you're not in the Stats board or you'd be first to be oiked out.

Agree that people should vote, but its not law now is it ? so technically if you dont want to you dont have to !
  • Stevo_666
    Nobody has to vote (unlike some countries like Aus where it's illegal not to...), but in my view if you don't vote then you effectively lose your right to moan about how bad things are. I enjoy a good whinge from time to time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Nobody has to vote (unlike some countries like Aus where it's illegal not to...), but in my view if you don't vote then you effectively lose your right to moan about how bad things are. I enjoy a good whinge from time to time.

to whinge is to be british! so yes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

to whinge is to be british! so yes.
    Pity it's not an Olympic sport as we'd double our tally of gold medals in 2 years time. I might even be in with a shout of getting on the squad...
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Vote cast.
    Lovely walk across the park to the polling station, all quiet at this time of the day :-)

Oh yes - Stuff tactical. Vote for what you believe in !
    Misguided Idealist
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Vote cast.
    Lovely walk across the park to the polling station, all quiet at this time of the day :-)

Good for you.
    After all if the best a party can come up with is that they''re not the other party, then they're probably not worth it.
  • theblender
    theblender Posts: 201
    Vote cast.

+1 vote for who you believe in.

Green.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    beverick wrote:
    ...So by satying at home, not through apathy but by a protest to the unrepresentative, undemocratic and politically vacuous electoral system we have in this country I'll help to reduce the turnout which may, if enough people did the same in the 500 plus seats which are not marginal and therefore have no direct relevance to the result of the general election, would bring the electoral reform that we deserve in this country.

I think that not-voting undermines democracy. it will be interpreted as apathy. You are more likely to get electoral reform by spoiling your ballot or by voting for a party that supports it.

I would have thought that a resident of East Timor would be particularly sensitive to this...

Cheers,
    W.
  • rjsterry
    One thought on 'wasted' votes. You might not back the winning candidate, but if your choice came a close second, his/her party are likely to push a bit harder next time round, rather than write it off as a lost cause. Playing the long game and all that.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    JonGinge wrote:
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    Only funny till someone gets hurt, eh?

Saw that. Didn't find it funny even though Mr Farage is not my cup of tea. The pilot got more badly injured. Didn't find that funny either.

Two people involved in a very serious light aircraft accident? Pilot had to be cut from the wreckage and is seriously injured?

Definitely not my idea of funny.