Thinking of entering a 12 hour TT.

2»

Comments

• Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Rokkala wrote:
    You should go for it, consuming only mars ( not aero ) bars and plain water for 3 months in advance to top up vital vitamin levels. Go from the Gun by putting it (like me) putting it in 56 x12 fron the 1st revolution work out how to do a 'Paula Radcliffe' whilst in the saddle to save distance from stopping.. And don't forget to wax your chest for extra aerodynamic advantage.

4 posts so far, and the poorly worded drivel is increasing each and every time! Should be fun to watch.

Fear ye not you chopper- your card has been marked and i look forward to riding you off me wheel.....
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    freehub wrote:
    being advised no point doing it just to get round, t.

Don't understand that bit of advice, 99% of people do it for that reason, it's a challenge.

Yes they're obviously hard but you don't need that much extra training, it sounds from your entries in the training forum that you're doing more than enough.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    chrisw12 wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    being advised no point doing it just to get round, t.

Don't understand that bit of advice, 99% of people do it for that reason, it's a challenge.

Yes they're obviously hard but you don't need that much extra training, it sounds from your entries in the training forum that you're doing more than enough.

hows it going chris, 8)

i put this down to what i call the sportif effect. think your good , but dont race because
    scared of being shown up. but do a sportif and get your legs ripped off ,you can just turn round and say , well its not a race really, is it. :twisted: :twisted:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Hmmmm - a sportive ( with a few exceptions) isn't considered a race by eveyone so lots of people do enter them just to enjoy the day / get round so don't necessarily ride them on the limit of their capabilities. Eg I had a nice day out at the Flanders sportive this year, but I didn't ride it as hard as could have done.

A long TT on the otherhand clearly is a race. Okay, lots of people who enter TTs are never going to win so are only racing themselves and chasing PBs, but if Will has only just started doing 10 mile TTs and doing more structured training I suspect the advice was given more in the context that he would probably only be riding to get round this year. Whereas if he gets experience with pacing on 25s, 50s and 100s and improves his riding, he would probably be doing more than simply riding to get round next year but instead making a pretty decent account of himself. Given he's still fairly young there's no rush and approaching these things in a bit more structured way may mean he doesn't ride one 12 and decide on the back of the experience that he'll never ride another one.

But I also agree that Will could probably ride a 12Hr at the weekend and "get round". Some people would see riding your bike for 12 hours as more of an achievement than others. Some people will know they could ride for 12 hours and so become more concerned about doing it well.

I don't think the advice he has received has anything to do with being "shown up" but eveything to do with approaching his training and development in a structured way.
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    Personally, before July last year I had only raced one TT longer than a 10 (27 mile hardrider event). I then rode two 12 hours, six weeks apart (the second one wasn't originally in the plan). I did "train" for them, but it was all about getting around in the best possible distance for me. I managed 210 miles and 211 miles on a standard road bike (I'm female). The first one I entered there was only one other female and for women it is not part of the bbar, so it really was for my own sense of acheivement. They are an acquired taste - I am doing another this year - but they can be a lot of fun and a great excuse to get out on the bike!

They hurt, take a little more planning, but I have great respect for everyone who completes one...
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    lowe wrote:
    Personally, before July last year I had only raced one TT longer than a 10 (27 mile hardrider event). I then rode two 12 hours, six weeks apart (the second one wasn't originally in the plan). They are an acquired taste - I am doing another this year - but they can be a lot of fun and a great excuse to get out on the bike!

They hurt,

Good stuff and the language of legends.. Once you have found Painsville theres no reason to fear anything, You liked the feeling of not being able to walk properly the next day so much you went back for more !
    I hope you have your 24hr entry ready with a stamp on it.