Whats wrong with flat pedals?

2»

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    However, I don't find the clips make a huge difference to speed or power but there is a greater sense of security with regard to the feet staying the pedals. However there is a corresponding worry about having to stop sharpish.
    If you get the right set of flats then feet coming off the pedals on a commute is rvery arely a problem. I've got Wellgo MG-1's and the pins on them look vicious, but your trainers stay stuck to these things like s**t to the proverbial blanket. the only time I've ever had calf/shin scars from flats is when I've been mountain biking.

yup V8's here they grip solid even thundering over wet muddy bumpy wood tracks so a commute is hardly taxing them.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    I like clips and straps, but if I was doing any racing or competitive cycling, I'd use clipless.
  • goco
    goco Posts: 35
    Well I have to say I agree! And that I have the solution.....I use the toe clips but without the straps - they hold my feet in the right position (I too hate the feeling of feet moving around on the pedals), very easy to get into, but also very easy to come out of in a hurry.

Thing that always worried me about clipless (I commute in london) is the safety aspect:
    1. coming to a stop and falling over at lights etc
    2. In the event you get hit, staying attached to the bike and NOT being thrown clear...or able to jump clear.

I know these are probably very remote risks, but it seems to me that clipless HAS to be (slightly) less safe on a busy rush hour commute.....?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    JonGinge wrote:
    A month or so ago I had to ride a couple of miles on flats (for the first time in over a decade) and for the first minute I was having trouble keeping my foot on the pedal on the upstroke! That was on a flat road, too.

Had the same thing over Easter - was back at the parents', went for a ride on my old road bike (which I gave to my Dad) - remembered my Looks but forgot the flipping shoes didn't I.

Went out with the nextdoor neighbour's triathlon club for about 3 hours - the weirdest most unsettling 3 hours I've had in a long time. Felt so unsteady - guess that's how used to clipless I am.

I won't be going back.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Worst thing about having flat pedals....

Telling your Dad you are gay.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    northstar wrote:
    I keep saying it, but I find two-sided to be ideal

Me too, got these personally, best of both.

shimano-pda530-med.jpg

Hmm, don't think so. The best thing about road pedals & toeclips is that they are cheap and work properly with any shoes.
    Those may be a good compromise for many, many people, but they arn't the best of both.

£45 per pair of pedals times three bikes plus £50 or so for a pair of SPD shoes... that's nearly £200. With a downside that you don't get any retention at all in street shoes.

They'd need to be a massive improvement on toeclips to warrant that outlay and inconvenience. I just can't see how they can be!

If your bike use is mostly recreational then I can understand it, but for utility cycling it doesn't seem to add up for me.

Cheers,
    W.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    With a downside that you don't get any retention at all in street shoes.

Erm, yes you do.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    edited May 2010
    northstar wrote:

shimano-pda530-med.jpg

I used some of those, but I'm getting rid of them, because I actually find them to be the worst of both.

Much faffing about to get the right side whatever you're going for, and the flat side is seriously slippy. Especially if you're in spd trainer type shoes, because the treads tend to be really hard, and nothing on that flat pedal bites into em.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    Eau Rouge wrote:

On the other hand, if I had a "pub bike" for pootling to the pub/shop/friends in jeans and wanting to not sweat at all and be able to wear normal shoes when I get there, then I'd have flats, as I wouldn't be going hard enough or long enough to care where my feet are.
    Actually, I'd still probably get old-fashioned toe clips for it...

I suspect thats really what all my bikes are. I rarely ride more than 10 miles, and do all my riding in non cycling specific clothes.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Onan wrote:

I suspect thats really what all my bikes are. I rarely ride more than 10 miles, and do all my riding in non cycling specific clothes.

Now you tell us! Just look at all the trouble you have caused! I was all set to go out and buy my first pair of shoes for clipless pedals this afternoon and because of you I went to the pub instead! Pah!
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Much faffing about to get the right side whatever you're going for, and the flat side is seriously slippy. Especially if you're in spd trainer type shoes, because the treads tend to be really hard, and nothing on that flat pedal bites into em.

Fair enough but I've never had a problem with them. It's really easy to get the right side, you get used to what the spd side feels like, still best of both for me, never had a problem slipping on the flat side, maybe it's your shoes.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Onan wrote:
    northstar wrote:

shimano-pda530-med.jpg

I used some of those, but I'm getting rid of them, because I actually find them to be the worst of both.

I have the gripper but more MTB looking M324 - spot on for commuting with or without bike shoes