Cancellaras descent back on youtube

Ruari
Ruari Posts: 217
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Cancellaras descent and chaseback on the 7th stage of last years TdF, accompanied by Mozart! Pure brilliance, and the music adds to his feat. It was originally pulled off youtube by Eurosport for copyright reasons.

I know it was put back in December 09, but I'm so happy it's returned!

I remember watching this on youtube last year, after introducing a friend to the joys of watching pro cycling, and the look on his face said it all - blown away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA&feature=related
FCN 1

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    awesome, how good is Fabs bike handling?!!!
  • Ruari
    It's an incredible bit of footage, almost continually focusing on Fabian. His handling is immense, quite breathtaking!
    FCN 1
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    The man is a legend no doubt, great footage indeed!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Seriously impressive
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Magnificent
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    its the magnets in his bike....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'll raise you a Sammy Sanchez - bigger cajones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xMfifw6Jw
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ruari
    :shock: Amazing performance, Monty Dog, not seen that vid before.
    FCN 1
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's well known that the lairiest decents come at the back of mountain stages with nutter sprinters and the like trying to make up some effort free time over the climbers.

Unfortunately, the camera men don't tend to hang around in the bus...

This Canc video being the exception. :D
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Cancellara looks good but it's not that fast. Someone counted down the milestones (every kilometre actually) and his speed is not that high. Above all the camera can stay with him, a really fast moving cyclist can drop a motorbike in the mountains. But the Swiss rider is very efficient and has a nice style.

Sanchez has a more kamikaze style, watch him take the inside line often and run very close to the edges of the road.
  • Ruari
    Fair points Rick Chasey and Kleber, but the Cancellara vid is probably my favourite, it is quite 'pure', just the one man, cameras rooted to him, chasing down the bus after flatting.
    Plus the music, though it's not edited, gives it an air of wonder. :wink:
    FCN 1
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    The vid is great. Shot well concerntrating on one man in a great location.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    It looks pretty fast to me!
    That said, the main attraction is the bike handling, fluidity and style of the man.
    Funny thing is, I've seen it a few times now, and still get nervous for him on some of the corners....................weird!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Truly magnificent.

It's the sort of thing i could watch and listen to on an endless loop

Cancellara is a fabulous rider and the Tour is such a great race.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    Monty Dog wrote:

I thought I'd raise you a "Falco", but unfortunately this appears to be the only video on Youtube of him descending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-VrcNqQ9ak

And while that descent was an important part of that Giro, it is not as impressive as the Sanchez and Cancellara descends.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    This is why the Tour NEEDS a downhill TT...
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Kléber wrote:
    Cancellara looks good but it's not that fast. Someone counted down the milestones (every kilometre actually) and his speed is not that high.

6km in 6 minutes means he'd do 60km in an hour = 60km/h

That's not fast!? Jeez

4:04 - 4:28 = WOW!!!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Kléber wrote:
    Cancellara looks good but it's not that fast.

It is quite a twisty 10 minutes or whatever the time was... and chasing a group on a descent after being dropped is tricky whatever the speed, as you have to take numerous calculated risks to grab back the metres. It only needs one of them to be wrong (e.g. cutting across the doctor's car, or the Liquigas car fouling his approach to the righthander into the tunnel) and he's out the race.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    I remember someone commenting on this last time saying that the only reason he went back to the team car was swap his bike for a yellow one to match his jersey! So nonchalant - fully confident he'd make it back to the bunch.

Don't know if that's true or not but it's funny if it is!
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • Good lord thats fast
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Another awesome moment set to music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-J2bIsPDH8

The Miles Davis soundtrack perfectly fits the rocket-fuelled theatre of it all.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Wow, did you see that caisse d rider loko round as if to say " what the smeg was that"...but in spanish obviously
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777

It really is awesome. The way he goes past other riders is surreal, it looks like as if it was a scene from American Flyers, with the dodgy extras acting to struggle up the mountain. Do you know the title of the Miles Davis track by any chance?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    pomtarr wrote:
    I remember someone commenting on this last time saying that the only reason he went back to the team car was swap his bike for a yellow one to match his jersey! So nonchalant - fully confident he'd make it back to the bunch.

Don't know if that's true or not but it's funny if it is!

I believe it wasn't his bike he changed, just a wheel. He'd had a puncture earlier in the stage and taken a spare wheel. The descent was after he'd stopped again to swap his replacement black zipp with a yellow one to match his jersey, bike, other wheel, shorts, socks etc.

Personally I'd be happy with a zipp in any colour :wink:
  • mpd12uk
    mpd12uk Posts: 7
    Sublime skill, never seen that footage before. Thanks
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Being a shocking descender stuff like that is inspirational.

I come down mountains on my brakes and with my eyes shut.

He is the man.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Being a shocking descender stuff like that is inspirational.

I come down mountains on my brakes and with my eyes shut.

He is the man.

Maybe why you're so bad ???
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

That is brilliant.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Le Commentateur - superb find.

Watching him climb in the big ring with such style leaving the others standing is quite something.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Monty Dog wrote:

missed this the first time around, first class descent and finish, so wide on all of the corners, especially through the town