Bike shed advice

SmellTheGlove
SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Have just been appointed shed supremo - believe me, that's practically a promotion at this place. Anyhoo, MD is sprucing up the car park with gates, CCTV etc and wants to put in a bike shed. When I told him about standard versions (i.e. those with massage table and cable TV etc) he scoffed. Turns out he wants a deluxe version that will keep the rain off and give us somewhere to lock up securely. Still he's a good sort who more than once cleaned the shower room so I'll humour him.
At the moment we three regulars indulge in a bit of stealth parking, seeing as we have a recurrent problem with "scrap metal dealers" chugging in and helping themselves to stuff out of the yard and outbuildings; we don't advertise where the bikes are.
So I'm sceptical about 'off-the-shelf' type things because they could become a focus for the metal gurus in their vintage pickups.
Also I feel some designs might well scrimp on things like sturdy lockup points.
Has anyone here spec'd a shed for their company? Any recommendations? Other advice? No budget was mentioned but I reckon £3000-4000 would about be the limit including installation (probably does not buy much now I come to think of it).
Cheers
D
"Consider the grebe..."

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Ah, ours was about £12k for an enclosed lockup with coded door...... but i takes about 20 bikes..... a smaller one would be cheaper. Main thing is that any Sheffield stands are properly anchored down.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Have just been appointed shed supremo - believe me, that's practically a promotion at this place. Anyhoo, MD is sprucing up the car park with gates, CCTV etc and wants to put in a bike shed. When I told him about standard versions (i.e. those with massage table and cable TV etc) he scoffed. Turns out he wants a deluxe version that will keep the rain off and give us somewhere to lock up securely. Still he's a good sort who more than once cleaned the shower room so I'll humour him.
    At the moment we three regulars indulge in a bit of stealth parking, seeing as we have a recurrent problem with "scrap metal dealers" chugging in and helping themselves to stuff out of the yard and outbuildings; we don't advertise where the bikes are.
    So I'm sceptical about 'off-the-shelf' type things because they could become a focus for the metal gurus in their vintage pickups.
    Also I feel some designs might well scrimp on things like sturdy lockup points.
    Has anyone here spec'd a shed for their company? Any recommendations? Other advice? No budget was mentioned but I reckon £3000-4000 would about be the limit including installation (probably does not buy much now I come to think of it).
    Cheers
    D

Have a look at this thread: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12691235&highlight=shed

Would a set of lockers suit? The bikeaway ones seem to be pretty secure and space-efficient, though they'd need to be well fixed down by the sound of it(!).

Cheers,
    W.