Saddle Packs

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Does anyone use them as replacements for a backpack (hate it, hate it); don't think I can fit a rack to the CX as the wide cantilevers would prevent this; don't like panniers too much either (memories of them swinging into the wheel :shock: )

Any ideas gratefully appreciated

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Carradice do some huuuuuuuuge saddlepacks, I guess it's a question of capacity, and how much of it you need.

You will almost certainly be able to fit a beam rack, if it's really the case that a normal rack won't work, and with a beam rack you can use a rack bag.

However, you should note that with normal racks, the panniers can't swing into the spokes - the rack is in the way.

If you need to carry a lot of stuff, panniers are the way forward.
  • I have one of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Carra ... 360042582/

Paired with one of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Carra ... 360042588/

on my crosslight. Bit pricey overall, but i like the retro look of the bag, and the support keeps it very stable .
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I think you'd be surprised with the rack option mate - I've got great big froggsleg cantilevers on my Pompino, and the rack and panniers fit fine around them. They won't swing into the wheel if you mount them correctly either.

The problem comes with finding a saddle pack big enough to stand in for a rucsack (depends how big the bag is, I guess)

But if you must saddle pack - then look at Carradice!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've just got an Altura Arran post pack for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Good points:

It isn't on my back.
    Expanding bit is quite good
    It's cheaper than a rack and panniers.
    It's easy to clip/unclip and carry into the office.
    It's big enough to carry tools, lunch, some clothes.
    Feels pretty well made.

Bad points:

It's only got a fairly small single clamp with a through-screw to attach to the seatpost. This is dumb, and it wobbles around, not to mention the cantilevering force on the clamp. See the fettling thread for what I did to fit it to a carbon seatpost. I might try bungee-ing it to the saddle rails to see if it can quell the wobble.
    The weight's high up. This feels worse.
    The zips for the side pockets face backwards when they're closed (i.e. zipper's at the back), where they're more likely to get covered in road muck. This is dumb.
    The side pockets should be detachable.

I've tried rack and panniers too. Both solutions are compromises, but the rack+panniers solution is just better, particularly if you want to carry weight. If you really don't need to carry much weight, then a seatpost bag might do it. If you do, then rack+panniers.

My next bike (looks at Roastie) will have guards and a rack.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    What sort of rack have you got?

I have:
    an old one which just has 1/2 twist metal strips to attach near the seat. this is a rubbish design.

a new one which has arms which move in all sorts of directions (Tortec lightweight rack 25pounds). I had to get this one as I couldn't get the old one to fit to my Defy - brakes+cables got in the way.
    I bought and fitted it in Evans to make sure it would do the job.

I use a rack bag. It alters the handling of the bike - more top heavy, and as someone else said you can't get that much in it, but no more sweaty backs.
    Its also not exactly "cool".
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Carradice Slim with an SQR fitting.

I find it perfect for commuting.
  • gbsahne001
    Thks, I was looking at the Carradice but one of my concerns is mounting it to a Carbon seatpost.

I guess the weight that will go in there will be close to 6 - 7 kg in the winter; 5 in the Summer; depending upon how hungry I am!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Can't see how it would be a problem on a carbon seatpost, given that it is already clamped to hold you at 60/70/80/90kg (delete as appropriate). It may leave marks but you could protect it with inner tube or tape or similar.
  • gbsahne001
    It's more an issue of theway that the weight is applied, as it will be loaded in a different orientation than what it was designed for i.e. the cantilever effect.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    gbsahne wrote:
    It's more an issue of theway that the weight is applied, as it will be loaded in a different orientation than what it was designed for i.e. the cantilever effect.
    I might agree if a seatpost was only subjected to forces in solely a vertical plane,in reality they cope fine with forces coming in all directions, often quite violent ones. I think this comes under the general "carbon fibre dissolves in water" train of thought.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    People say you can mount them on a carbon post and I've no reason to doubt them. But I swapped to an aluminium post to be on the safe side.

The bag is the right size (will take A4), waterproof, acts as a mudguard, stable, built to last longer than I'll be riding (probably my kids as well) and only the clip on the bike when not using it.

I also fitted a clip to my MTB so can use the same bag.