Why/when would you use a lockout function on some suspension

2»

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Personally, I think it's essential. Suspension set-up is, at best, a compromise. The only time I could see an argument against it is if the type of surface you ride over never changes.

I hate the remote locking arrangement on my Fox/Shimano set-up on my Cube Reaction - it's far too easy to switch it off by knocking the plate as you change gear - any tips on how to fix this would be welcome.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    If you want to ride fast and efficiently a remote lock out makes a lot of difference
    If you are a plodder then agreed its probably a waste of time
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Personally, I think it's essential. Suspension set-up is, at best, a compromise. The only time I could see an argument against it is if the type of surface you ride over never changes.

I hate the remote locking arrangement on my Fox/Shimano set-up on my Cube Reaction - it's far too easy to switch it off by knocking the plate as you change gear - any tips on how to fix this would be welcome.

don't be so clumsy maybe?! :wink:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Northwind wrote:
    ye but its not as easy to use, or as effective as on the mag's though.... :wink:

Oh I'll probably regret this but what's easier to use than flicking a switch? Do you get stuck in dark rooms sometimes because the lights are too complicated? :lol:
    OK, well, i supose... but from my experianxe its a bit fiddly to set the threshold.... and it doesnt provide quite as good a platform (while still being fully active) as on the mag's (IMHO)

i mean what could be easyer than a big bly thing you turn 45 deg to turn on or off, and a big gold thing in the middle to set the threshold!?

:wink:

im picking at nothing here... just trying to make a point.. the RS system is good too, just like mag's...

the fox system however iv never really liked, on my mates 32 rlc's its all a bit of a fiddle, and overly comlicated, it has lockout, rebound (obviously) but then low speed compression which cant be turned on or off quickly, once its set, its set, and it also has a 3 level propedal setting, which, i may be wrong, but i thought is basicly just low speed compression?!?!?!?!!?!?

its all abit confusing.. and for someone a bit less technicaly adept like my mate... its a minefield.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    propedal isn't just "low speed compression" it's basically their name for the same thing that RS and Madura have. It sets the threshold for switching from heavy damping to active.

It's still all balls though - design the frame right in the first place and it's all moot. Same for forks, set them up properly, and ride them properly (not like a gorilla trying to stamp on earthworms) and they're fine
    Lockout and platform damping is a load of cobblers that allow poorly designed frames to be sompensated for - a solution to bad engineering. Oh and it's also an extra tick in the marketing bullet points.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    propedal isn't just "low speed compression" it's basically their name for the same thing that RS and Madura have. It sets the threshold for switching from heavy damping to active.

It's still all balls though - design the frame right in the first place and it's all moot. Same for forks, set them up properly, and ride them properly (not like a gorilla trying to stamp on earthworms) and they're fine
    Lockout and platform damping is a load of cobblers that allow poorly designed frames to be sompensated for - a solution to bad engineering. Oh and it's also an extra tick in the marketing bullet points.
    im talking about forks here.. i agree a well designed frame shouldnt need it.....

i still dont understand what propedal does on a fork though... it basicly does the same as maguras albert platform and Rs's floodgate, (on these too though, they can be turned on and off as and when, on fox you have to get off and fiddle around with a small knob on the bottom) but the forks also have low speed compression, to filter out dive... exess bob etc... if the compression was a permanent setting and the propedal was something you could quickly clickon.. it would make sence.. but it isnt, they are equally fiddly!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    It helps to think of "propedal" as a super-low-speed damping control.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    With the fox they have a seperate lockout lever. You set the threshold and LSC with the RLC. Then lock when you need it. Nothing fiddly about that.

You shouldn't really be fiddling with thresholds during a ride.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    [Specialized Epic Brain smugness brag]

My Epic Marathon has a Brain rear shock and Future Shock Brain equipped forks, so they both lock/unlock as and when necessary.

No tiresome levers for my thumbs to operate.

[/Specialized Epic Brain smugness brag]

Can't really see why anyone would think not having a lockout would be an advantage though ?
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    MC_pushloc.jpg

Does weigh like a whole 50g or so. Although I suppose you could just spit a couple of times before you get on the bike to balance the weight out.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Can't see any point in a remote for a rockshox fork myself, the leg-top adjuster's within easy reach. Unless you want to constantly switch it on and off of course but for most people it's a fairly occasional thing at most.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448

I have the cube reaction - and I love the remote lock out, on long climbs that are not to rough I find it a great advantage, also just on fast flattish sections.
    I also used to keep catching it as I changed gear, but don't seem to have a problem now, don't know why, suppose I've just got used to it. I suppose you could just swivel it slightly to move it a bit further from the gear switch?
  • Anonymous
    ugh, brain shocks? bloody horrible idea. Tried a few at various demo days, and just didn't see the point. May as well have bought a hardtail bike instead.