confidence building,help

2»

Comments

• it sounds stupid, but i grew a bit over a long summer and raised my saddle accordingly, and i lost almost all my confidence coz my centre of gravity was different. could try just sticking with one set up till your used to it, (as long as its the right set up)
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    If you don't understand your riding, I just don't see from where can you progress further. Riding as hard and hoping for the best may not be the future, and the price of that would be higher than 1-2-1 skills course.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • stevepj
    stevepj Posts: 38
    I've done 2 skills courses and learnt a lot and my riding has got better for it, but........it doesn't stop me from being scared/apprehensive/safe/slow when i'm out and about. All i do know is go at my pace, ride to my level, try a bit more every time i go out and sod everybody else.
    Why are all the parts i've upgraded on my bike, now standard on the latest model!!
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Just by attending skills course doesn't necesserily transform to super rider. It takes time to apply all *new* skills to riding, only then you shall see -the future.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Popstar, are you on some strong weed, cause that's pretty "out there" stuff :lol:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Northwind wrote:
    Trying to keep up often doesn't help... It can make you ride faster but it'll rarely make you better, and if you're always pushing too hard you'll probably find you get more scares as well. Plus, you can get into a follower's mindset rather than thinking for yourself. I spent ages chasing faster mates, never could catch up, eventually gave up and started riding how I wanted to ride and aiming for better not faster, then once that started working I kept up without trying to.

I think this is true :D

And anyway, it's meant to be fun! There's no rule to say it can only be fun or 'proper' if you're keeping up with Joe Bloggs....
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    nah, everything is more fun when you turn it into a competition, that's basic stuff ;)
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Clark3y wrote:
    nah, everything is more fun when you turn it into a competition, that's basic stuff ;)

I find it's extra-specially fun when i'm winning.... :wink::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • lasty
    lasty Posts: 218
    "Crash a few times. Seriously. Once you've fallen off a few times, then you get used to it, and realise the consequences are generally not disastorous. Then you can ride without fear."

:lol: Might sound daft but true .. ...

Good luck from an ex- motorcycle racer :shock:

Tip tip :- look ahead and relax . The worst thing you can do is watch the rider in front - look where YOU want to be . Speed will come grasshopper .... :D
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    Sessioning a section of trail you find difficult may help.

Defo ride at your pace not your mates you will become used to it eventually, its like you tune in and start looking further up the trail new riders tend to look at what just in front of them by that time its too late.

When first started riding i was going up the peak district we would get to the bottom and my mates would say did you see this or that and my reply would be no i was to busy watching where i was going.

Its a bit like when you come off the motorway after a long drive and 30mph seems really slow, youve tuned in to the motorway speed.
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Best tip I can give find a bit of dh you can session go into to it at a reasonable pace and don't pedal deliberately until you reach the bottom. By not pedalling you try and brake less and pump the terrain more to keep your speed up.
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Best tip I can give find a bit of dh you can session go into to it at a reasonable pace and don't pedal deliberately until you reach the bottom. By not pedalling you try and brake less and pump the terrain more to keep your speed up.