First Commute

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,449
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Well, I feel I can now justify posting on here having just completed my first commute in 14 years. Just over 18 miles from north of Newport to Cardiff so urban either end with a lovely open strech on (flat :D ) countryside in between. Beautiful day for it and no incidents to report, averaged 15mph into a slight headwind so hopefully will be a bit quicker going home. It must be about as flat a route as you can get in South Wales and I hope to do it regularly although my job means I often need to take my car in. I certainly feel good for it and more awake than usual lol.

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    great stuff, I find riding the bike sets one up for and setlles one after the workday.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Well done!!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well done, although you'll find there is almost no such thing as a tailwind, allways headwinds!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Well done, although you'll find there is almost no such thing as a tailwind, allways headwinds!

Good to see i'm not the only one who's noticed this...

Either way sounds like you've a cracking commute there buddy. Have fun! :)
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,449

Simon

This turned out to be true - the forecast was for a light westerly but in reality it was a battle home in places as the wind seemed more north easterly! Also, the long very flat section is a mixed blessing. There are no hills to drag myself up but equally no chance to freewheel and as I didn't get out of the saddle it caused quite a pain in my legs at one point that I've never had before. Can't ride in again until Tuesday but looking forward to it :D I was certainly consistent as my ride home was within 30 seconds of my ride in. Averaged 14.7mph for 18.2 miles so quite happy and it took me longer to drive in today!
  • Salsamander
    Salsamander Posts: 53
    Well done Pross :-)