Colds and their effect on stamina

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Minor cold today (bloomin kids!) nothing much, but after 5 miles at my normal pace I was pooped, last 2 hills I had to run a gear lower (1st ILO 2nd on my 1x9)

How come such a minor cold can ruin my stamina so much! Blasted little bugs!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Very frustrating, isn't it? One of things where you just have to take it easy.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    yep, I've got a mother of a chesty cough... trying to bring up a lung in fixed gear is tricky.

I might well be off the bike tomorrow... in bed
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :lol: When I first saw this thread I thought it said "Cords and their effect on stamina" :lol:

I have a very weird sense of humour, now then back to your question...

M
    T
    F
    U

you big Jesse :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • If I have man flu or a cold I stay off the bike. I find if I exercise when ill I just make myself worse. Cycling with a cold for me normally ends up with a chest infection. :( Been on antibiotics twice this year.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Zombie_donkey
    Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
    I have a cold too. I just take it very easy to avoid much sweating.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Train with a cold or bike with a cold. Definitely the latter. Too many bugs on the train as it is. If I'm not well enough to ride, I won't go in because the chances are I won't be able to concentrate when I'm at work anyway.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The worst thing... the VERY worst thing (and I'm gipping just thinking about it) is when you have a chesty cold and you sneeze when cycling.

You have nowhere to run. :shock:

I've sneezed something so big, Steve McQueen attacked it with a fire extinguisher :? and you can see... it... reach its zenith of flight and.... straight back at you...

ARGH!!! BLEURGH!!!!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    I just turned my chesty cold into a secondary sinus infection due to riding whist sick - DON'T DO IT!
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ...streaming cold and no sleep last night; great combination for no legs this morning.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    cjcp wrote:
    Train with a cold or bike with a cold. Definitely the latter. Too many bugs on the train as it is. If I'm not well enough to ride, I won't go in because the chances are I won't be able to concentrate when I'm at work anyway.

yup best to limp in on impulse drive, than sit in car/train, etc.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Yes, colds do hit your stamina. Just take it easy.

If you have a minor cold- headache, snot, sore throat then riding at a slow pace is the thing to do. Over eating is allowed.

If you have a problem below the neck ( ie a chest infection) then it's simple. Don't ride unless you have to.
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    I had a low-grade viral infection last weekend and the impact on my performance was quite noticeable.

I was planning on going for a 15 mile ride and only ended up doing 8 miles and I really did not enjoy it at all.

The bug has gone now thankfully.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    The worst thing... the VERY worst thing (and I'm gipping just thinking about it) is when you have a chesty cold and you sneeze when cycling.

I've sneezed something so big, Steve McQueen attacked it with a fire extinguisher :? and you can see... it... reach its zenith of flight and.... straight back at you...

ARGH!!! BLEURGH!!!!

Try doing it with a face mask on :shock:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    rjsterry wrote:

ARGH!!! BLEURGH!!!!

Try doing it with a face mask on :shock:

Or worse, sneezing inside your motorbike crash helmet :shock:
    Trying to get the visor open in time, and then aim your sneeze out the gap ain't easy.

I'm in week 2 of the cold; haven't ridden more than 5 miles the whole time. Got the Evans Sportive on Sunday, hope I can still drag my unfit, lardy self around it...
    Misguided Idealist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Glad its not just me then, even caught myself trying to coast on the downhills, good telling off administered though!

Tomorrow I have to drive, then its a weekend, so hoping for a return to form on Monday!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A bit of light exercise with a common cold can be beneficial. But flu, or chest infections and you risk more complication, With flu can even be dangerous.